cat food suggestions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by andrew lobsinger, Jul 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrew lobsinger

andrew lobsinger New Member

I just found out my cat is diabetic, our vet recommends high protein and low carbs with hard food and pate. i cant afford 80$ for dr.hills dm since our other cat loves that food as well. both prefer hard food. so any suggestions would be great ps we live in canada. Please and thank you :)

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Waving from central Ontario. Welcome to the best place you never thought you would be. There is years and years of experience here and we've done the research.
    Fancy Feast pates + most of the roasted/flaked/chunky are low carb. Also the Friskies pates.
    There are few options with the dry in Canada. Dr Elsey's Clean Protein is one. Epipen Wysong 90 is the other.
    You can check out this wet food chart put together by a vet. Not all brands and flavours are available in Canada. You are looking for carbs under 10%.

Food Chart

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

This is a link to foods that are available in Canada. When you're looking for food, you want low carbohydrate -- under 10% carbs. Most of the people here use a food that is around 5 - 6% carb.

Can we persuade you to reconsider about hard food? You may want to take a look at this website on feline nutrition. It's written by a vet, Lisa Pierson, DVM. She's the person who developed the food chart that Red linked. Cats have a limited thirst drive. In the wild, they get most of their fluid from eating live prey. Kibble has almost no moisture content and cats really need the moisture. This is especially important for a diabetic cat in that diabetes is hard on the kidneys and kidneys are better protected with moisture.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.