Caregiver needs help!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by davidscat, May 5, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidscat

davidscat Member

I know, I know, I know. This forum is for helping our furry friends, but this caregiver could use some help. My kitty, 11 years old, was diagnosed about a month ago. Since then, I’ve not been able to give him a single injection, I’m paralyzed with fear. I take him to a local vet daily where he gets one injection which is just slightly better than none. The vets and their staff are great, and have encouraged me as I try to work though this. Still, I awake every morning by 2 AM and start worrying, dreading injection time. I’m eating very little and can’t concentrate on anything. I have a tremor which makes matters worse as the more I worry the worse the tremor gets which makes injections even harder. I try to think happy thoughts, that the injections don’t hurt him, they will help him. I think of bad thoughts, what will happen to my dear kitty if I can’t do this. Nothing helps, I’m completely, totally irrational. IRRATIONAL. My own doc has prescribed an anti-anxiety med but thus far it’s not helping. I’ve thought about seeking psychiatric help but that takes time and I don’t know if my furbaby has the time. Please advise if you can!

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

3. Angela & Cleo

Angela & Cleo Well-Known Member

Fear in and of itself is debilitating. I can't fathom what it might be like for you!

I know someone who has hand tremors which worsened with anxiety and she suggested a "weighted hand glove" which she got from her physical therapist. She said that it did help her. I think its worth asking your doctor for this and other physical therapy exercises/techniques as well as medication??

May I also suggest practicing giving the injections on a stuffed animal. https://www.bristol.ac.uk/media-lib... a Skin Tent for a Subcutaneous Injection.pdf
    Perhaps the repetitive action will lessen your anxiety.

Lando demando likes this.
  4. davidscat

davidscat Member

Thank you for the suggestions. I've ordered a non-presciption weighted glove just to give it a try. Actually, the anxiety is a bigger issue than the tremor, but both are factors. Wish I had a Xanax the size of a tennis ball but alas, since the opioid abuse business very few doctors will prescribe it. I have a sofa pillow I practice with but it's just not the same; i.e., it's cold, doesn't meow, doesn't purr. A few weeks ago the vet let me practice injections on my kitty using saline, and with great hesitancy and trepidation I did a few injections but that feeling of success has worn off.

5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I see you take your kitty once a day for to your vet daily for one injection of insulin. Cats need insulin every 12 hours. I assume you are doing the night time injections?
    Are you testing his BG at home , do you have a meter?
    Here is something one of our members wrote up about testing
    If you are not testing your kitties BG both AM and PM you won't know if the number is safe to give insulin, plus we tests a couple times a day during each 12 hour cycle
    God forbid he goes hypo
    If you live in the US I can suggest what human meter to buy.
    Our numbers are based on human meters

As far as giving insulin you are not hurting him.
    If you have to give him a treat while you attempt to test that's fine.any freeze dried treat or a piece of boiled chicken

Testing I found this written by one of our members
    Here's something I wrote up for others for testing...maybe it'll help you too! (substitute "her" for "him")

It can be really helpful to establish a routine with testing. Pick one spot that you want your "testing spot" to be (I like the kitchen counter because it's got good light and it's at a good height....it also already blocked 2 escape routes due to the wall and the backsplash) It can be anywhere though...a rug on the floor, a table, a particular spot on the couch...wherever is good for you.

Take him there as many times a day as you can and just give his ears a quick rub and then he gets a yummy (low carb) treat. Most cats aren't objecting so much with the poking..it's the fooling with their ears they don't like, but once they're desensitized to it and learn to associate a certain place with the treats, they usually start to come when they're called! Or even when they hear us opening the test kit!

You also have to remember...you're not poking him to hurt him...you're testing him to keep him safe and understand what's going on inside his body. There's just nothing better than truly understanding what's going on inside your kitty's body and with this disease, the more knowledge you have, the more power you have against it. The edges of the ears have very few pain receptors, so it really doesn't hurt them. Also, if you're nervous and tense, it's going to make your kitty nervous and tense too. As silly as it might seem, try singing! It forces you to use a different part of your brain!

It's also important to make sure his ear is warm. A small sock filled with a little rice and microwaved or a small pill bottle filled with warm water (check temp against your wrist like you would a baby bottle) works well

For new kitties, using a heavier gauge lancet is also really helpful. A 25-28 gauge lancet pokes a bigger "hole" than a 31-33 gauge lancet does, so look for "Alternate Site testing" lancets that are usually a lower number

Finding the right "treat" will be a great help too! Freeze dried chicken, bonito flakes, little pieces of baked chicken...whatever low carb treat you can find that he really enjoys will help him to associate the testing with the treat! China's Achilles heel was baked chicken, so I'd bake a piece, chop it into bite sized pieces, put some in the refrigerator and freeze the rest to use as needed. It didn't take long for her to come any time I picked up the meter!

Testing
    Always aim for the sweet spot warm the ears up first, you can put rice in a sock and put it in the microwave, test it on the inside of your wrist to be sure it's not to hot, like you would test a babies bottle. You can fill a pill bottle with warm water and roll it on the ears also.Just keep rubbing the ears with your fingers to warm them up
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    6. As the ears get used to bleeding and grow more capilares, it gets easier to get the amount of blood you need on the first try. If he won’t stand still, you can get the blood onto a clean finger nail and test from there.
    When you do get some blood you can try milking the ear.
    Get you finger and gently push up toward the blood , more will appear
    You will put the cotton round behind his ear in case you poke your finger, after you are done testing you will fold the cotton round over his ear to stop the bleeding , press gently for about 20 seconds until it stops
    Get 26 or 28 gauge lancets
    A lot of us use the lancets to test freehand
    I find it better to see where I'm aiming
    You can also put a thin layer of vaseline on the ear ,to help the blood bead up

Here is a video one of our members did
    VIDEO: How to test your cat's blood sugar

Here is a link ,tap on the blue link and tell us about your kitty
    Just tap on your name and then tap signature add the information and hit save
    Here is a link helping us to help you link. If you noticed, our members have some basic information about their cat's in their signature. This helps us to not pester you by asking the same questions (your cat's name, insulin type, date of diagnosis, etc.) repeatedly. We also have a link to our spreadsheet in our signature. We are very numbers driven. The spreadsheet is a record of your cat's progress. By linking it in your signature, we can follow along and provide feedback should you need the help.
    • Add info we need to help you:
      • Caregiver & kitty's name
      • DX: Date
      • Name of Insulin (do not include dose or frequency)
      • Name of your meter
      • Diet: "LC wet" or "dry food" or "combo"
      • Dosing: TR or SLGS or Custom (if applicable)
      • DKA or other recent health issue (if applicable)
      • Acro, IAA, or Cushings (if applicable)
      • Spreadsheet link. Please put the signature link on the bottom line of your signature information, on its own, so it is easy to find.
      • Please do not put any information about your location in the signature for security reasons. If you wish to add your country location, please add it to your profile.
    Be sure to click the 'Save Changes' button at the bottom. If you need help urgently it is important we know these things at a glance. We don’t want to waste valuable time finding out information.

Last edited: May 8, 2022
    SaraMV likes this.
  6. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

We understand. Your cat most likely does not even notice the injections so if the fear is from you thinking you are hurting your cat, you are not.

One trick that we recommend is to try singing while you are giving the shot. It does not matter what the song is, but the sillier the song the better. It is hard to be nervous when you are doing something silly. It will help relax you and also your cat. Cats are very perceptive and if you are nervous, he most likely will be nervous too. Singing nursery rhymes to your cat is a great way to start. :D

If holding the syringe is causing your anxiety, then practice giving shots to a stuffed animal may help. The more you do something, the more comfortable it will become for you.

7. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Be honest with your vet (although I'm sure you have already since you're taking your cat in daily for shots)....If you were able to do the saline shot before, when you go in for his insulin shot, ask if you can repeat a shot of saline each time you're there. Hopefully with repeated success, you'll be able to transition to shooting the actual insulin.

Dyana, Diane Tyler's Mom and SaraMV like this.
  8. SaraMV

SaraMV Member

Are you afraid of needles in general? Or that you'll hurt your kitty? I really like Chris & China's suggestion of being present at each injection, and doing a daily practice shot of saline under the direction of professionals, until you feel better about doing it yourself. I mean, you've already done it in the past, so at least you know that you can. :)

As I'm writing this, my kitty is sitting in front of me begging for me to poke him so he can get a treat. Every time I get up to go to the kitchen, he leads me in there and sits by my feet, hoping it's "time". Lol. After he eats, he sits patiently near the fridge because he knows it's insulin time. It's almost as if he knows that insulin helps him. I am beyond lucky that Taz is motivated by food though and that he's a pretty relaxed fellow.

I understand being scared and phobias, and I hope that you can find a way of getting through it.

9. davidscat

davidscat Member

I'm a bit afraid of needles, but mostly I've an irrational fear of hurting the kitty. Snowy (yep, he's solid white) spent the day having another insulin curve and I spent the day communicating with y'all and learning a bit more about anxiety. I used Lisa's suggestion to sing which I did on the way to the vet. I felt pretty good and did one saline injection; unfortunately, I couldn't do more because of this darn tremor. The vet suggested I give him cat treats, though a very limited number, to help condition him to receiving the injections. I'll continue taking him for morning injections and try to do it myself each time. Thank you ALL for your support as we need it right now!

10. Holtfam6

Holtfam6 Member

It's normal to be afraid of giving injections. I'm a nurse and I was real nervous the first time I had to poke someone for an IV. I hate poking my cat's ears to check his sugar. So you're not alone on this journey. My recommendation is to get an orange. Bring home a syringe from the vets and a bottle of saline. It doesn't have to be a new needle as you're not sticking it in skin. Practice drawing up different amounts and especially the amount of insulin your cat needs. That's how we learned to give injections. Maybe that will help you become more comfortable and confident with injections. A little different on a cat. My other thought would be maybe use a stuffed cat animal so you can try the pinch technique and make it a little more realistic? Anybody else have a thought on making it as close as possible? Tremors are hard. You're shaky and nervous at the same time and add anxiety. It makes it a lot harder. Do you have any friends or family who can help you for a short time as you learn?.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  11. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Treats are a good idea to help Snowy associate something good with his insulin shots and hopefully later home testing. You want to give low carb treats. A couple good ones are freeze dried chicken or freeze dried tuna flakes. And if treats work for you, reward yourself with a piece of chocolate every time you give him his shot :smuggrin:

Holtfam6 likes this.
  12. davidscat

davidscat Member

I had a very small victory yesterday when I took Snowy to the vet for his shot as I was able to shoot him myself, although with assistance and great hesitancy and trepidation. I thought I'd try by myself this morning but I was soooooo nervous and shaky (tremor) I had to give up. Setbacks just make matters worse. I'll try again shortly - if Snowy will cooperate.

I'm sort of stuck on "tenting" in part as my left hand shake is the worst. I keep grabbing and squeezing for the perfect tent but I'm not satisfied I have it right so I do it over and over. Dragging out the shot makes both of us more anxious. I've been squeezing either side of kitty's scruff with the intent of shooting at the end of the tent. I notice that a lot of people use a pinch technique, which is some ways looks better, but I'm afraid I'll poke through both sides of the tent. Wish someone made an 8 mm needle U-40 syringe as the common 12.7 mm type seems too long to me.

JanetNJ likes this.
  13. Holtfam6

Holtfam6 Member

Yay for you! You will get there. I’ve been trying to think of adaptations you can use to make things easier with a tremor and making a tent. I thought of maybe having the vet shave your cat ( a small area) where you will give the injections. You’d need two spots to rotate sites. With getting the fur out of the way, it may make it easier to see where the needle is going and losing the fur in that area may help with your anxiety. You’ll be able to see the skin directly and hopefully that will make it easier.

14. davidscat

davidscat Member

Shaving a spot on his back is one of the first things the vet did to help me, so I usually have a clear target.

Holtfam6 likes this.
  15. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Singing is a great help! There are a number of variations on how you tent. One thought is to pull up the skin and brace your wrist on your cat or on something solid. (I would test on the kitchen counter close to my refrigerator. So the side of the refrigerator was nearby.) You just want to poke into the area between where the skin/fur is lifted and the muscle beneath. The needles are short so you should be fine.

What may also help is that shooting when your cat is eating, if possible given your tremor, likely means that your cat will be distracted and really not care that much what you're doing. My cat was very food motivated. We could have had an earthquake and it wouldn't have made any difference if she was eating.

Also, keep in mind how thin an insulin needle is. You should be using a 30 or 31 gauge needle for your syringe.

If you're not able to test, please talk to your vet about using a Freestyle Libre so you know where your cat's blood glucose levels are at.

16. bluebell

bluebell New Member

Hi there! I'm new to this as well. I hope I'm not responding to this too late. I really relate to what you are experiencing. I am autistic and this has all been severely anxiety inducing, I don't have a tremor but my hands do shake a lot. I started off the same way, I couldn't sleep and any time it was nearing injection time I was extremely scared. I don't know if you have someone you are comfortable with, but what helped me was having my partner assist me with the injections whenever he was not at work. I was terrified that I was doing it incorrectly too, so I watched a video on how to do it correctly before every injection to make sure it was drilled into my brain. Also, from a suggestion by my vet, I do her injection in a cardboard box that she can not easily jump out of. I even painted the box to make it pretty and put a little blanket in it. After a while it becomes much less stressful. I also try my best to remain calm, because in the beginning I would cry while giving her injection and that made her move around more and drag out the process. I find that when I remain quiet or am able to speak calmly and remind her that she is okay she stays somewhat still. I hope this advice is helpful and I hope you are able to overcome this fear.

Holtfam6 and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  17. April & Quincy

April & Quincy Member

I wasn't going to comment on this but when Quincy was first diagnosed I too had severe anxiety before and around shot time (including the ear pricks). I was in therapy for other reasons and I am so glad I was there at that time because therapy really helped me. But what helped me even more was just getting used to it. I don't have a tremor but the anxiety was super high. Quincy is a great boy; he would come for the ear pricks and didn't care at all about the shot as his head was in the bowl :) but for me it was terrifying. I tried singing, I tried everything but what I found helped was just doing it over and over. The longer it went on the more I got used to it so the point that now it is it just part of our daily habit. I truly hope it gets easier for you.

Holtfam6 and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  18. Sharon & Molly

Sharon & Molly New Member

You can watch YouTube videos as often as you need to and that can help you to teach yourself. I did that in the beginning as I was only shown once by the vet tech and felt nervous about doing it right too, so I understand where you are coming from. You can/will learn too.

19. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

It's like jumping in a super cold pool. You just have to 1, 2, 3 DO IT. COURAGE is being afraid and doing it anyway, because scarier than giving him a needle (and my cat never even reacted to it), is watching him get sicker and sicker as it will eventual compromise the kidneys and other organs. My cat got two shots a day for almost five years, plus testing 4-5 times a day. She really couldn't care less. Their scruff areas are tough because they get picked up there as babies with sharp teeth. It's really ok. Every time you bring him for the next few days so a hand over hand shot.... Then do the shot yourself there with their encouragement until you can do it yourself at home. Distracting them with a treat could help. Play music. YOU CAN DO IT and you will be doing a wonderful, caring, healthy thing for your fury friend

20. davidscat

davidscat Member

Knowing others have been there, done that, helps a bit. A lot of what you describe sounds just like me; i.e., can't sleep, sometimes I cry and also don't eat. A good deal of the time, even after he's gotten an injection given by others, I'm a wreck. A problem with having other people in to give me support is that Snowy gets upset as he's really only socialized to me. Even when my brother comes for a visit Snowy is terrified and takes several days to adjust. I wish I could visualize something else while giving the injection, have a "happy thought" in my head but I've yet to find it. I'll keep trying.

bluebell likes this.
  21. davidscat

davidscat Member

I really appreciate all the advise. Something that MIGHT help me is to practice with something that closely resembles the cat's skin in its resistance to the needle entry. I've tried fabric, a leather work glove and an orange, none of which are close. I don't see how cats are ever injured in cat fights as their skin is so tough.

22. bluebell

bluebell New Member

if you're feeling a lot like me, i can imagine you're feeling guilty too. the fact that you're taking him to the vet for the injections and really trying proves that you care for your cat a lot and pushing through these very uncomfortable feelings shows great strength. i think what might help is some exposure therapy. (try not to do this while alone) you can close your eyes and fully imagine yourself in the situation of giving your cat the injections. imagine everything, all of the senses, all of your feelings. imagine the scenario where it will go correctly, and imagine the scenario where it could go wrong. it's going to be extremely hard and don't push yourself if you're not ready. you need to let yourself feel the feelings you don't want to feel. if you imagine the scenario where it could go wrong enough, you will make a plan for how to react to it and what to do, and eventually will become desensitized to the situation and hopefully feel prepared enough that if things do go wrong you'll know what to do. maybe you can ask the vet what you could do if you accidentally hurt him while giving the injection and they can give a detailed plan. and maybe at that point you can work on tenting alone until you feel comfortable enough to tent and do the injection. practicing with the saline as well.

23. davidscat

davidscat Member

Yes, I absolutely feel guilty, and embarrassed too. I also feel that the daily injections at the vet are just a crutch, that I'm abdicating my responsibility. Everyone else seems able to do this, so why not me? I can tent Snowy, in fact part of the problem is that I tent and tent and tent and tent, trying to get what I perceive as perfect for me. Then I pick up the syringe, get the needle within an inch of the skin, and then I break. While at the vet I have injected him with saline a handful of times (difficult!!), and after the first I felt I'd accomplished something. Since then I feel I've gone backwards. Each time I try and fail just reinforces negative feelings. Exposure therapy, visualizing everything, seems like a great idea - if I can put myself the the right state of mind to actually FEEL everything. I'll reiterate something I mentioned in a previous post, that if I could practice with a material that has that sensation of the needle poking through the cat's skin, that slight resistance to entry, it might go a long way toward my goal.

24. bluebell

bluebell New Member

"Everyone else seems to be able to do this, so why not me?" is a recurring thought i have throughout life. we're all capable of different things. if it were as easy as just doing it, you would have been doing it already. it's an extremely difficult thing for you to do, and that's okay, and it'll take some more steps and more time than the average person, but that's by no means an indicator that you aren't trying. you're trying every single day and i know you feel that the vet is a crutch but ultimately it is much more helpful than doing nothing as you've mentioned before. to take no responsibility would be something like not taking care of him at all. you are doing your best. i think finding a similar feeling material would be very beneficial. i know the threads are supposed to have a limit and i don't want to take up too much space so if you would like to you can private message me any time :)

davidscat likes this.
  25. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

I have been thinking of you. I think you are very hard on yourself. You obviously love your baby very much. You can do this and you will succeed. I know that you are going to get through this and, in the future, you are going to be able to help others who are also having extreme anxiety when learning how to home test and administer insulin to their cats.

davidscat likes this.
  26. Corey & Kitty

Corey & Kitty Member

I'm not sure how realistic feeling they are, but there are several different products that are meant to mimic human skin in order for medical students to practice giving injections. I don't know how closely they would mimic the cat though.
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=realisti...njection trainer,industrial,65&ref=nb_sb_noss

27. davidscat

davidscat Member

That's interesting, didn't know they made such things. Thanks, I might give it a try. I picked up a cheap mini-soccer ball at Wally World the other day and it's close but not quite the same.

28. davidscat

davidscat Member

Yesterday I took Snowy to the vet's office for his morning injection, as usual. I tried, tented with left hand, syringe at the ready in the right hand. Just. Couldn't. Do. It. I was upset the rest of the day. I'll try again today.

29. Sugar’s Mama

Sugar’s Mama Well-Known Member

David - just want to join in on the cheers to keep trying! I don't have quite the same level of trepidation but I do have to psyche myself up as I'm also in the learning phase. How did today go?

Last edited: May 17, 2022
  30. davidscat

davidscat Member

I got the needle in, but while trying to push the plunger it fell out at which point I let the vet assistant finish. Still, getting that far seems like an accomplishment. Maybe I can do this!

31. Sugar’s Mama

Sugar’s Mama Well-Known Member

Totally an accomplishment! You are getting closer!

32. Angela & Cleo

YES YOU CAN!!! Cleo and I are routing for you :cat:

33. davidscat

davidscat Member

I was intent on getting Snowy to the vet for his injection this morning, in part so I could try shooting again, that I arrived at the vet's office at 7 AM. The only problem is that they don't open until 8 AM. Duh! I'd misread my watch! We went back home for a while before returning. Anyway, it took me a minute or two, and several deep breaths, but I actually did an injection!!! I'll keep going, keep trying. Hopefully, maybe, by this weekend I can try shooting at home, BUT I'm not going to push it as my setbacks are too often crushing.

34. Corey & Kitty

Corey & Kitty Member

Amazing progress! You've got this! :)

davidscat and Angela & Cleo like this.
  35. Angela & Cleo

:bighug: This makes me soooo happy!

davidscat likes this.
  36. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

GOOD FOR YOU!!!! Congratulations!! We know you can do this...Once shot at a time!

davidscat likes this.
  37. davidscat

davidscat Member

Well, I've gone backwards, at least that's how I feel. Thursday I got the syringe in, twice, but both times I was so focused on inserting the needle that my fingers weren't in position to push the plunger so the syringe fell out and I let the vet tech finish. Friday and today (Saturday) my anxiety and tremor were in high gear so once again the vet tech did the honors. I'm slipping back into that funk hole of fear and desperation, I'm failing my dear, sweet kitty.

38. Susan for Maus (GA)

Susan for Maus (GA) Member

You're not failing, you're practicing & learning & with a bit more practice you'll have it down. I let mine get outside today while tending a bee sting on another. When I finally found her & tested, she was 45 & mostly seemed annoyed that I drug her out from under a very cozy bush, so there's that :blackeye:.

davidscat likes this.
  39. Merlin’sMama

Merlin’sMama Well-Known Member

Hi! I am very happy to find your thread. I think your are very brave and persistent and admirable that you still keep trying, even if there are good and bad tries. I’m going to be new at this injection thing this week. We practiced at the vet’s, but the other two people in my family were way quicker and more confident than I was. I couldn’t get the hang of how to hold the syringe, between which fingers, and pushing the plunger with my clumsy old thumb. I kept switching the syringe between different fingers. Ive watched the videos, but maybe there are different ways people have found instead of the standard between the first and second finger with the thumb on the plunger? Maybe the cat should face the other way, depending on how right or left handed we are? It seemed awkward to me the way everyone else was doing it. I like the idea of putting them in a box because my cat backs up when I start doing the ear pricks. It seems to me, if the plunger keeps falling out for you, maybe there is another way of holding the syringe, or maybe the cat should face the other way? My hands shake when I am nervous, and I seem to be nervous all the time now since the diagnosis. Does anyone have suggestions on different hand holds for the syringe that may help us shaky and maybe differently handed people?

40. Corey & Kitty

Corey & Kitty Member

For me personally, I've found the most comfortable way to hold the syringe is between my thumb and middle finger. I grab the base of the syringe, where the two wing things come out the sides. That way my index finger is free to push the plunger. Not the best angle for this photo, but like this:
    IMG_4120.jpg

Last edited: May 22, 2022
    Merlin’sMama likes this.
  41. davidscat

davidscat Member

The vet is closed today, and although I have a friend coming over later to help give the Sunday injection, I've thoughts of trying myself but I'm nearly petrified with anxiety. I started worrying hours ago. I'll say that I'm so committed to doing this that I'm seeking therapy, but so far I can't even get an appointment scheduled. Aside from this group I feel so lost and alone.

As to holding the syringe, with my kitty down in the cat carrier I have to hold the syringe with my palm down and attempt to push the plunger with my pinky finger or palm. I've looked into something called an Autoject EJ or Autoject 2 into which you insert a regular syringe. The device hides the needle in a sleeve which retracts as you push it into the skin, then you push a button and it depresses the plunger. Kind of like an insulin pen, but it uses standard syringes and hides the needle. Some Youtube videos show people using it on dogs, I don't know about cat use.

Angela & Cleo likes this.
  42. Merlin’sMama

Gosh, that seems like a really awkward way to hold it. Could you put the carrier onto a table or something? Or get snowy to go in a bigger box on the table, so at least your hand is on the same level? I like Corey’s handhold above. I will try that. I’d rather push the plunger with my steady pointer than with my awkward thumb. I don’t think I could use my pinky at all.

And you know what, you are not alone. We are all going through the same stuff. I have been crying all day on and off. I will start treatments this week, after my boy received an overdose from a vet that we had to save him from last week. The helpers and moderators on this forum are so very kind and sympathetic and knowledgeable. They were there for me for 21 hours straight. And everyone else is on the road to becoming wise about this stuff. We are all on this journey together. You can do this. So can I. It’s all for the love of our beautiful kitties.

43. Corey & Kitty

Corey & Kitty Member

For additional support and control, I usually have my pinky and ring fingers resting underneath the barrel. I gently place my pointer finger on the plunger without pressing it and this gives me the best control over the syringe.

44. Angela & Cleo

You can't progress without setbacks.
    You have accomplished two of the three steps...tenting then inserting the needle....AMAZING!
    Next you will find a comfortable position to push the plunger. Baby steps yes BUT look how far you've come. I am confident that you will figure out this last step. You're just about there.

Susan for Maus (GA) likes this.
  45. davidscat

davidscat Member

The cat carrier, canvas, has a zip-open top so I'm reaching into a hole to inject, or should I say TRYING to inject. Also I have essential tremor so I have to find a compromise position. Snowy will settle down in the carrier but not so much just sitting out on a table. I wish my kitty was like those in the training videos, those cats that will tolerate anything and just sit still.

I so appreciate the words of encouragement. I just get so down and depressed over all this. If I could just overcome my fear of pushing the needle into his skin I'd have at least 80% of this battle won.

46. Merlin’sMama

Oh, what I was thinking was that you could set the carrier on top of the table or kitchen counter and get a different angle…Would that help maybe? Or on a chair maybe that you’re leaning over, but not all the way to the ground?

47. davidscat

davidscat Member

I do put the cat carrier on a table when attempting to shoot. At the vet's office, the cat carrier sits on the exam table which is almost too high. Still, I'm reaching down into a hole (cat carrier) but it works, sort of. I played around with various ways to hold the syringe and what seems to work best for me is to grasp the syringe, with palm down, near the needle end of the barrel and then push the plunger with my palm. I'm sure this seems awkward but it seems to work for me.

48. Merlin’sMama

I’m glad you found a hold that works for you! I wish they made chunky silicone grippies for syringes like they do for pencils. Maybe I’ll try to make one with squishy fimo?? That may make it harder than just plain syringe though, I don’t know. I just have to practice I think.

49. davidscat

davidscat Member

Yesterday I gave Snowy an injection but I didn't really feel like I'd accomplished much. Today I couldn't focus, my mind wandered among a thousand thoughts. I even went for a short walk before the daily vet visit to clear my head, but to no avail. I told myself “you can do this” but that’s not the way I felt. I tried to inject, the needle was almost touching kitty's skin, but couldn’t do it. When I got back to my car I cried.

50. Merlin’sMama

Ohhh. I’m sorry. It’s ok. You will get this eventually. I have been crying on and off all day for two days. It’s a big deal. But it’s also just a skill we have to learn by doing. A few years ago I had to pill my semi-feral cat twice a day. It was completely impossible, so I took her to the vet twice a day for a week. That was terribly expensive. I eventually asked them if I could just use their room without them in it to pill her. I felt safe because the vet was in the building, and the cat felt like I was the vet. It worked! So I did that a few times. Then, I had a go at driving her to the vet, leaving her in her carrier in the back seat, and pilling her there in the parking lot. OMG, it worked for both of us. From then on, all I had to do was put her in the carrier and into the back seat of the car in my own driveway and pill her right there. It was amazing. Ive been waiting to tell someone that story. It may not be quite appropriate for your situation, but it kind of shows the slow progress of adjusting to new circumstances. Especially with a semi-feral cat! But really, I had to wrap my head around the task too, and it helped to have the vet nearby for a while. Anyway, one day at a time, this will all become…normal. :bighug:

Dyana and Sugar’s Mama like this.
  51. davidscat

davidscat Member

I appreciate you sharing your story as it helps. When I try to inject I'm not really thinking about anything, it's the irrational emotions that kick in and I can't move forward. If I can hold a positive thought such as "I can do it!", and nothing else, then sometimes I can override the emotion. All too often I'm overwhelmed with negative thoughts about the future rather than focusing on the here and now: How can I ever do this at home, by myself? How long can Snowy go on with this one-shot a day routine? Is he feeling alright right now? Should I think about re-homing him (that would kill me)?

52. Merlin’sMama

I’m with you there. It feels like staring down a deep dark hole of the unknown. But, the thing is, you have a sick cat and insulin will make Snowy feel better. He may even go into remission, you never know. One day at a time. You will be making him feel better, which will make you feel better too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.