? Cabergoline rx help please!

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Christine and Pumpkin, Aug 20, 2021.

1. Christine and Pumpkin

Christine and Pumpkin New Member

My vet just emailed the rx for cabergoline. In reading these posts I see compounding pharmacies mentioned. Where do I get it filled? Looks like tablet form was prescribed? 1/4 of .5 mg tablets every 72 hrs. My boy is 16 lbs. Help!

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I calculate that to be 17.4 mcg/kg. That is higher than the "standard" dose of 10 mcg/kg. However the "standard" dose is daily.
    Per GoodRx the smallest tablet is 0.5mg and you can get it in packs of 4, 8, 12, 16 and 24. Maybe your vet did the proposed dosing based on it is hard to split a tablet into smaller than 1/4s.
    The GoodRx price varies from $13 to $43 for 4 tablets based on where you get it. It is less expensive it you get a larger pack size.
    I talked to my vet originally and she was against me working with the tablets. since a 10 mcg/kg dose is very hard to make.

Now I have found a place that sell vet compound oil for suspensions. It is almond like what Wedgewood uses.
    https://specializedrx.com/products/fos-a-fixed-oil-suspension-vehicle-500ml-almond-oil-nf-sweet
    $25 for 500 ml
    That way you just grind tablet with a mortar and pestle and add it to a quantity of oil and make what concentration you want. You have to vigorously shake to mix before drawing up a dose.

3. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

1/4 of a .5 mg. tablet would be .125 milligrams. The usual starting dose is 10 MICROgrams per kg. of body weight. Your kitty, at 16 lbs., is 7.257478 kg. so his starting dose of Cabergoline would normally be 72.57 etc. micrograms daily (or you can do every other day dosing and see how he does and if you need to increase to every day... up to your vet). So, the dose that you would be giving of .125 milligrams equates to 125 micrograms... so that is a high starting dose. This is if you even have success in quartering the pills (never tried it with a cab pill myself). This is the reason why vets usually order, or have you order, the compounded liquid form of Cabergoline -- because you can be much more accurate in the dosing. Would you be able to call your vet and ask them to re-write you a prescription for the compounded liquid. See my condo of yesterday https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...d-insulin-dose-questions.251641/#post-2839640 where I (and others) were talking to Jill about the Cabergoline strength for her cat Snuggie. I hope this helps?

4. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Oh, and if you can get the compounded liquid. Wedgewood Pharmacy in New Jersey is just great! My vet ordered it for me and I picked it up at the vet's office -- but they would have also filled it for me and shipped to my house if I had wanted to do it that way.

5. Christine and Pumpkin

Christine and Pumpkin New Member

Thank you all:cat:

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.