Cabergoline Dosing

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by George’s Mom, Jan 16, 2023.

1. George’s Mom

George’s Mom Member

Hello! It’s been a long time since I’ve posted anything. I know in this forum it’s either no news is good news or it’s the polar and very sad opposite. Fortunately for us, George is been doing well in general. At least for an 18 Yr old cat with diabetes.

George has been on Cabergoline since August 2022. It has definitely made a big difference for him with his numbers moving within a few days from purple to blue. He’s had no obvious side effects from it and has tolerated very well. He is currently on the standard 10/kg dosage daily and still gets 4.25 U of Lantas twice daily.

My question is pretty simple but thought that background would be helpful. ESP bc we have been lazy updating the spreadsheet for the past month or so. Busy is a better word, but I know every choice in life for your time is really a decision of prioritization. Anyway!!!

I am wondering if we can up his Cabergoline dosage a bit. What is the max dosage you can safely give a cat and what is the danger in a higher dose?

His current dose is helping tremendously so I know I am being greedy here, but I keep thinking maybe he’d be closer to remission if his cab dose was a bit higher. Thoughts?

@Wendy&Neko @FrostD @Suzanne & Darcy

PS: God bless all of you for what you do. It’s incredible to me how much more this group knows than our vets. And I even have a really good one.

2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Lots of beautiful blue and green on his spreadsheet! I assume you mean he is on the 10 micrograms per kg. of body weight? It’s so encouraging to see our acro kitties on Cabergoline doing so well!

George’s Mom likes this.
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

We do like seeing spreadsheets. :) You can add a new tab for 2023. Really only the last couple weeks are of interest. Details on how to do that here:
    2023 SPREADSHEETS — Please Read & Keep Bumped

If George was getting 40 on the Libre, as he did when you last had data, I'd definitely be reducing the dose, or at least double checking with the Relion. I typically suggest that kitties on Cabergoline should use a bit higher reduction point for safety. Reductions when earned also get you a step closer to remission. ;)

We don't have an answer to "how much can you increase the cabergoline dose?" We do have one member who increased it a bit, not to push remission, but to reduce some of the other acro symptoms that showed up. Is that a question your vet can get an answer to?

4. George’s Mom

George’s Mom Member

@Suzanne & Darcy I know I am so thankful it’s helping him! Yes 10mcg/kg.

@Wendy&Neko Sounds good! Yes, he’s been doing so good with the Cabergoline. I just didn’t know if anyone had given 12mcg/kg or what negative side effects a larger dose may cause.

Agree we have been considering the dosage. He has gone down to 4.25 units but still goes up a bit. So trying to balance. When he’s been low, he’s not had symptoms. He’s been pretty normal acting. But I know it’s super dangerous so agree we need to keep thinking about it.

I may try to find some research about adverse side effects of larger doses of Cabergoline. If you guys know of any places to point me, let me know. Otherwise, I’ll just dig around and let you know if I find anything.

I’ll try to convince my hubs to update the spreadsheet. He found some way to export from Libre sensor data to spreadsheet. So I’ll plead for an update. That way I don’t have to do it! :smuggrin: