Cabergoline Compounding Pharmacy Options

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by George’s Mom, Oct 14, 2022.

1. George’s Mom

George’s Mom Member

I’m wondering where everyone gets their Cabergoline. I need to find a better place than Wedgewood that has reliable Cabergoline compounding. Wedgewood won’t ship with an ice pack. Last time it arrived to my Texas doorstep, the liquid was HOT! (thermometer measured 108 degrees). I doubt it remains stable at that high of a temp! Anyone know???

Wedgewood also has told me twice that it will take about a month to ship, then ships it within a few days. I know that doesn’t seem like a problem but this last time we purchased elsewhere (local compounding pharmacy) because we didn’t expect to get it timely and would’ve run out before it got here. Then a few days later the Wedgewood version magically shows up.

Local compounding pharmacy: I am doubting the quality. George’s #s are back up in the upper 200s and 300s. It correlates exactly to when he got the local pharmacy compounded Cabergoline. This cost 1/4 of Wedgewood’s price. But George’s vet warned that it may not be as high quality. She mentioned smashing pill and putting in suspended liquid not being the same as a proper compounding.

George high #s: I am going to switch back to Wedgewood version to see if it makes a difference. If it does, I would really like to find a place other than Wedgewood going forward. Would love to hear where others get their Cabergoline.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I only had problem onew with Wedgewood when they delayed shipment because they said then could not get the cabergoline base material. It seem tht there still maybe a intermittent shortage of the base material. I suspect that a compounder takes standard human tables and grinds them up, add it to a suspension base oil and add flavoring. A local compounding pharmacy can easily do it if they can get the cabergoline.
    https://www.ashp.org/drug-shortages...etail.aspx?id=692&loginreturnUrl=SSOCheckOnly

3. George’s Mom

George’s Mom Member

So you don’t think there is any difference with how they stabilize the Cabergoline in the suspension liquid? Hmmm… idk my kiddo’s BS is super high right now.

4. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

I get mine from Wedgewood. It did take a while for my last refill but they gave no reason. I got it earlier this month after about a 3 week wait. I know another member uses Pet Apothecary from Milwaukee. I asked my vet to price check there as I heard it was cheaper and I’m from MN. He was not comfortable using a pharmacy he wasn’t familiar with for a medication that he’s only prescribed to my cat (per my request).