GA Billy Boy will be missed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by billysmom (GA), Apr 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billysmom (GA)

billysmom (GA) Member

Monday night I had to make one of the hardest decisions of my life to put my dear, sweet Billy Boy to sleep.

First a little about Billy Boy... I live in an older 4-plex turned condo. One day in Aug of 2009 a Black and white fluffy cat turned up and started hanging out in our yard. My neighbor mentioned, "I think we have a cat." He was a very friendly, laid back cat. After a bit I started feeding him while searching for his owners. I went out of town for a month and my neighbor continued to feed him. When I got back he was still there. I couldn't believe the owners weren't searching for him. He was so sweet and had obviously been loved. After a while, I decided he was my cat. It was meant to be. I took him to the vet and gave him a tune up :), bad teeth pulled, treated for fleas, shots, etc. From that time on he was my constant companion. He had no fear, he would just watch as dogs walked by, even raccoons didn't phase him. He followed me around the house and outside. He owned the yard. No cat dare trespass without Billy's permission. He would come when I called him. He slept with me almost every night and woke me every morning. He purred louder and more than any cat I've ever known. I could pick him up and put him in my lap or on the bed and he would stay and soak up the attention. He was a quiet cat but was very good at non-verbal communication. I cannot explain how special he was to me.

He had been off and on unwell for the last year, although the cause was unknown. His brush with diabetes was solved by changing his diet. However, he had lost a lot of weight. The last few weeks especially, he had not been quite right and his blood sugar had been spiking up. I had taken him to the vet the week previous and they gave him a B-12 shot and some fluids and I was to set up an appointment for an untrasound to check his kidneys and pancreas. I thought he had rounded the bend. His appetite was better, in fact Sunday night he ate about 9 oz. of food. But on Monday he was very lethargic and just slept all day. Monday evening he started panting. A trip to the emergency vet and x-rays showed substantial fluid around his lungs. The probable causes were cancer or heart failure. I could have had them drain the fluid and do more diagnostics but the prognosis for him surviving more than a short while were slim.

I did what I believe was best for him, but somehow I feel like I let him down. Intellectually I know I did all I could do for him but when I looked into his little innocent, trusting face I thought is there nothing else I can do? In the end I decided it would be selfish for me to put him through all of that only to prolong his life with little chance of him recovering. Years ago I had a cat that I had put through chemo and I have felt guilty for that ever since. I stayed while they gave Billy his sedative because I didn't want his last memory to be of strangers, but I couldn't bring myself to be present while they euthanized him. It was very hard for me not to tell them to do everything they could to save him. He left my life as he came, unexpectedly. I truly feel honored to have been Billy's mom.

Now my house is a very lonely place. I think it will be a while before I stop expecting to see him begging for food every time I fry bacon or bake chicken. He will be missed.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  2. Lori & Lulu

Lori & Lulu Well-Known Member

I am so very sorry to learn that your Billy Boy has gone ahead to the Rainbow Bridge. It was so loving, compassionate, and unselfish of you to allow him to fly free. Picture him now running in a fragrant meadow, feeling great, chasing butterflies and making friends with all the other kitties who have gone on ahead. Say meow to Puddin and Mickey for me, Billy.

Hugs

billysmom (GA) likes this.
  3. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Tiger(GA) and Ruth Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss- Billy sounds like a real sweetie- I had to smile a little when you said you would remember him whenever you fry backon or chicken! Fly free sweet Billy Boy- you were loved so much!
    heartcandle.jpg

4. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

We have our pets for such a short time. You both loved each other during your time together. Until you meet again, RIP Billy.

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Sending purrs and prayers at this difficult time.

6. Tiger-Hobo

Tiger-Hobo Member

Lisa, I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved Billy. Your greatest love showed - when you released him and let him fly free without pain, discomfort and suffering. I am sending prayers at this extremely difficult time.

7. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss. I know how you feel.
    ((((((((((((Big Hugs))))))))))

8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Requiem aeternum, Billy Boy.
    {{hugs}}

9. SuePea

SuePea Member

your tribute to your Billy made me cry... they truly do leave pawprints on our hearts.... cat_wings>o

10. Blamethecats and Hannah

Blamethecats and Hannah Member

What a lovely tribute to your beloved Billy Boy. It touched my heart. Thank you for taking him in and for giving him a good home and a wonderful life. I can feel how very special he was to you and how hard it was for you to say good-bye and let him go. I know there are no words on earth that can compensate for your loss, but please know that I understand.
    images.jpg

11. Jamye and Fred

Jamye and Fred Member

Tears. God sends us these furbabies to love on us for a while and then He needs them to come back to heaven to chase critters.
    (((hugs)))

12. suki & crystal (GA)

suki & crystal (GA) Well-Known Member

So sad to read your tribute to Billy, he sounds a very special cat,. Hugs and prayers to you:bighug:

13. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for sharing Billy's story, he sounds like a wonderful companion and friend. You did the right thing, we can't explain to them what's happening and all they know is that they're in pain or feel awful. He wouldn't have had the life he had without you, and he knows you only wanted what was best for him.

RIP Billy Boy.

14. bsmith

bsmith Member

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss of Billy. He did a good job in choosing you to be his human. I'm sure he appreciated everything you did for him as you appreciated what he did for you. You did a great kindness, and a very difficult thing, in allowing him to pass gently. I'm sure he was glad to have you there with him in his last moments. Thank you for sharing his story here.

15. billysmom (GA)

billysmom (GA) Member

Thank you all for the kind words and understanding. I've tried to respond several times but this is the first I've been able to bring myself to do it. It's amazing how much I miss this little creature. I now realize how much of my day revolved around him. Someday I'll have the good fortune to get to know another furry friend.

I continue to read this board off and on. You folks are the most amazing cat parents I've ever seen!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.