Automatic Feeder that Doesn't Poke Eyes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by bambinaki, Aug 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bambinaki

bambinaki Well-Known Member

Hello-

I have the Cat Mate C500, but the bowls are so deep and narrow, and the edge of the cover around the bowl is sharp, so it's very irritating to the kitties' faces. I've been testing it for a couple days, and I see that my kitty's eyes are irritated. I'm sure they're poked by that sharp edge when he sticks his face into the bowl.

Another member had the same issue, and she recommended the Cat Mate C20, but the timer isn't precise. I have 3 cats, and if the feeders don't all open at the same time, it's a problem.

I've looked high and low but can't find a solution. I need a reliable, precise feeder (with ice packs) that has a bowl that is shallow without sharp edges.

Can anyone help?

Thank you!

2. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Petsafe 5 feeder! You can find them on Amazon or Ebay (used and cheaper). It has a clock so you can set up to 4 specific times. The plastic is smooth and never bothered my cat but some people put glass cup inserts inside so they're not eating on the plastic.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  3. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Elizabeth to the rescue!:D

Panic likes this.
  4. bambinaki

upload_2020-8-15_12-36-54.png
    upload_2020-8-15_12-38-56.png

upload_2020-8-15_12-40-14.png
    upload_2020-8-15_12-41-44.png

Thank you, Elizabeth! The edges do look smooth. But it's still so deep. And no ice...?

5. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Douglas_my ginger cat likes this.
  6. Douglas_my ginger cat

Douglas_my ginger cat Member

Hi @Panic, the url doesn't work for those in Europe. Any chance you can upload a photo of the inserts and I'm curious. Just bought the C500.

Many thanks!

7. bambinaki

8. bambinaki

9. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

10. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

@Douglas_my ginger cat

These are Williams Sonoma Dip Bowls, sized 3 1/2" diam., 3/4" high; 2-oz. cap.
    I do not know if they'll fit in the C500. I've never used them before.

upload_2020-8-15_17-26-7.png

11. Douglas_my ginger cat

Ah ok, so they are just little bowls to go in the compartment. I used the C500 today and I think its snazzy but Douglas is not so keen. And they are much deeper which I think he is struggling with. He pushed the food into the corner as he is eating and then struggles to get it. Today was fine as I was able to push the food back into the middle but I won't be around during the week day or even night to do this for him. I am sure I can find some small dip bowls to help us.

Thank you!

12. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

If you can get reusable ice cubes they fit under the plates and keep them from tipping. The bowls in the picture are deep but work well in feeder. The plates are the ones posted in previous links.
    20200220_182515.jpg

13. bambinaki

Thanks, Elizabeth!

jt and trouble (GA) and Panic like this.
  14. bambinaki

Thanks, Paula!

15. bambinaki

But there are ice things that come with the feeder and are placed inside it, right, Paula?

16. bambinaki

Exactly!

17. Olive & Paula

Mine didn't come with ice packs. And I don't see how any would fit underneath. I got it last year so I don't know if it's new thing or not.

I just looked up on petsafe website. It says the 5 compartment can not use I've packs. Like I said I used reusable ice cubes and sometimes I froze the food and placed in plate. Most times since I was home I didn't use anything. For overnight I just put food on the plate and added a bit of water so it didn't dry out. Or put an ice cube in middle of food so it melted by the time she would eat.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  18. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

upload_2020-8-16_12-0-43.png

There is a slot under the tray for an ice pack.

Paula, does yours come with the slot? You can buy replacement packs.

19. bambinaki

@Panic Elizabeth, Paula's Pet Safe 5 didn't come with ice packs. Are we talking about the same feeder? The Amazon site doesn't mention ice packs.

20. bambinaki

Hmm, I'm not crazy about space for only 1 ice pack which doesn't cool all the food bowls in the feeder.

21. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Yes, this is the same feeder. This is the first time I'm hearing about it not coming with ice packs, as you can see mine did (well the ice packs are in the fridge atm but still). Perhaps Paula can shed some light on if hers came with an ice pack slot. Perhaps they are no longer selling them with the packs? You can still buy replacement ones though if the slot is still there.

22. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

A lot of times people freeze food to put in the other slots that the ice pack isn't directly under. I live in the deep south (90+ degree weather often) and even without freezing food I haven't had an issue with the food going bad.

23. bambinaki

Elizabeth, do you use only canned food? How many hours do you leave the food in the feeder?

@Olive & Paula, how long do you leave food in the feeder with those little re-useable ice cubes? Do you find that it stays fresh the entire time? Do you use only canned food?

24. Olive & Paula

Mine does have the slot. I didn't know that s what it was for. It did not come with them and doesn't mention them in the directions.

25. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Yes, only canned. I've left food out for close to 10 hours without issue. Dr. Lisa Pierson has also mentioned that she leaves canned food out for 12+ hours in California heat with no issues.
    Another option would be to just add ice cubes in each tray - when it melts you get water added to the food, so win-win.

Here's a link to replacement ice packs - they are for the Catmate feeders but they are the same size as the Petsafe. I had a Catmate feeder and took the ice packs out to use. They fit perfect. :)

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-...ocphy=9010635&hvtargid=pla-310749771480&psc=1

26. Olive & Paula

I only use wet food. Overnight the last feeding was in there for 5-6 hrs. I always add a bit of water, not mixed in just to keep food from drying out. Or put ice cube in food itself.

Critter Mom, bambinaki and Panic like this.
  27. Olive & Paula

Can also use the cold packs you get with insulin. I've froze them (despite the not to message) they are pretty flat.

Critter Mom and bambinaki like this.
  28. jt and trouble (GA)

I do as well never had an issue...although I do put her food bowl in a pan of water then add ice to the water...just to keep is fresher
    aaaand keep ants out.:p

Critter Mom likes this.
  29. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    bambinaki and Panic like this.
  30. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I did buy my Petsafe used and thought the ice packs it came with were part of the feeder ... maybe they were replacement packs after all. :confused:

To add to your reviews, Mogs, since you don't mention it - I don't recommend the C500. Bought it before the Petsafe and quickly realized it wouldn't let me do exact times. Something like it had to be 3-4 hours out, and most of us need it to dispense 1-2 hours out.

31. Critter Mom

@Panic - Is that with the digital timer, Elizabeth?

Mogs

32. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

No, it was some archaic-looking manual timer. :eek:

33. bambinaki

Critter Mom likes this.
  34. bambinaki

All in the auto feeder?

35. Critter Mom

That's the C-50. I had exactly the same problem with the mechanical timer: it was absolute pants. I returned it for a refund. The newer C-500 has a digital timer.

Mogs

36. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Oops you're right! I just looked up the listing where I bought it. What would I do without you. :p

Critter Mom likes this.
  37. jt and trouble (GA)

Sorry no dont use one.

bambinaki likes this.
  38. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

I love my C-20 with the manual timers (easy to set, just like kitchen timers). I've been using it for more than 10 years without problems. When I had the Petmate 5 it's digital timers often malfunctioned and the compartments would stop mid way. My cat at that time (Stu) couldn't get his head in to get the food! I use ceramic dishes in the food trays of the C-20. I almost never use the icepack except in extremely hot weather.

39. bambinaki

Ella, have you experienced that it doesn't open at the exact time that you set it for? I have 3 cats whose feeders have to open at the same time. Thanks!

40. PH&MonkeyPenPenFaFaTiger

PH&MonkeyPenPenFaFaTiger Member

Why don't you increase the height of the bottom by cutting a food-grade plastic plate with the right shape and put layers in the bottom?
    You only need a hand saw and for example, a few plastic food containers. (or 314 stainless steel or ceramic if you have the right equipment)

41. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

I have the Petsafe Feeder as well. 4 compartments get wet food with water and the last compartment gets freeze dried chicken. The last wetfood snack is in there for 8 hours. No issues with food going bad. The food is not frozen, just out of the can with a bit of water. Timer is very precise. I would recommend to get rechargeable batteries. Changing the batteries monthly ensures that the batteries won't go dead on you in the middle of the day.

42. Judy and Freckles

But the shipping takes it up to $50. :rolleyes:

43. bambinaki

So, Judy, the timer is digital? I thought I had read somewhere that it was not precise, but I think that was a manual dial, not electronic/digital. Getting confused now...
    It's important for me because I need 3 feeders to open at exactly the same time.
    Thanks.

44. bambinaki

I've ordered little bowls that I will place in the slots with something under them to raise them if needed. We'll see if it works.
    Thanks.

45. Critter Mom

You won't get that level of accuracy with the Catmate C10s and C20s. It's impossible to set their mechanical timers to that degree of accuracy.

Mogs

46. bambinaki

How's Douglas doing with his feeder? Have you tried any tricks to help him when you're not around to help him get to his food?

Douglas_my ginger cat likes this.
  47. bambinaki

OK, it wasn't the PetMate that was not precise; it was those Cat Mate models I was reading that about. I'm still trying to work with my Cat Mate C500. I wish someone would create a perfect feeder. We have enough to worry about already!

48. Douglas_my ginger cat

No, I haven't had a chance to buy any of those plates. But yesterday he seemed to have found all the meaty pieces. I've been home today so been giving him his food in easier plates (and extra cuddles!). Will try to pick something up at the weekend and will let you know.

I have to say though, I do like the Cat Mate C500.

49. Judy and Freckles

Yes, the timer is digital. You can preset it for 9 times in a 24 hour period that the carousel will turn to expose the next meal. Freckles gets her breakfast in a separate bowl at 8:00 am and supper at 8:00 - these meals are not part of the pet feeder. I have the feeder set to turn at 10:00 am, 12:00 pm, 2:00 pm, 4:00 pm, and then again at 10:00 pm, 12:00 am, 2:00 am, and 4:00 am.

The way I work Freckles meals is her day time food allotment is weighed in the morning (her food weighs in at 85 gm). I leave 40 grams in her big food dish for her to eat at shot time. I divide the remaining 45 gm of food among 4 of the Petsafe food compartments. Add a bit of water to each snack and her main meal. The golden paste (turmeric) is added to her big breakfast dish and also the snack that will rotate at 12:00. In the fifth compartment, I put freeze dried chicken treats that are 0 carbs. At shot time, she gets her big food dish (has 40 gm of food), then I go and feed the other cats in a separate room and do a few morning chores.

When I return, I manually rotate the feeder (there is a little button that you can push to rotate the feeder) to be sure it is going to rotate well for the day, as well check if the batteries are getting low- if batteries are low, the carousel doesn't rotate as quickly. Then she gets the little post breakfast snack from the pet feeder and the feeder is set to go off at it's first scheduled time of 10:00 am. I repeat for the evening.

Freckle's feeder is sitting in the top drawer of an old dresser because she has figured out if she pushes it off the shelf, some will spill out. There are 2 beds on top of the feeder where she usually sleeps. It's very rare for one of the other cats to get to the feeder before she does since she is the boss and has the bigger appetite.

I don't know if this helps at all or just muddies the water more! lol You will figure out whatever works best for you. It is all trial and error.

I love the feeder though. I feel it has really helped keep Freckle's numbers relatively flat.

50. bambinaki

Thanks very much, Judy, for taking the time to reply as you did!
    It would be easier if Maxi and I didn't have to worry about his brother getting his food. In addition, Maxi gets into his brother's food, which doesn't have the binder in it that Maxi needs. It's good that Freckles has her dresser and boss status to help with such complications.

51. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

I've never had to go for exact accuracy. I've only had 1 cat at a time! It sets more or less in 1/2 hour increments, so it is clearly not the timer for your purposes. But it is simple and it never wears out. 1 AA battery lasts well over a year.

52. bambinaki

Thanks, Ella!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.