9/6 Newman Update

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Linda and Newman, Jul 4, 2023.

1. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/6-2-newman-lots-of-stalling-both-am-and-pm.278185/

We have been moving along in lower yellows, some blues with some bounces.

This morning Newman's fasting AMBG started at 131 @ 7:30, stalled 20 min got 138 @ 7:50, stalled got 142 @ 8:10. Decided to feed to stay closer to schedule. At 8:40 he was 175, stalled 30 minutes got 206 and shot a skinny 2 units @ 9:10. Checked him at +2 got 205 offered LC food he ate about 1 tbsp. Checked at +3.75 got 145 offered LC food he ate about 1 tbsp.

Will continue to spot check as possible.

ETA: 111 @ 6.5

Last edited: Jul 4, 2023
  2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

He is having a really nice run of blues today. :cool:

3. Suzanne & Darcy

Hopefully no more food for the time being? Hopefully he can stay in blues longer?

Linda and Newman likes this.
  4. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

PMPS 208 so I will stall for 15 minutes. Darn fireworks have the pets on edge so I'm hoping Newman will standby. In the past none of them were bothered but a little nervous this year.

ETA: After 15 minute stall I got 220 and shot a skinny 2 units.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2023
  5. Suzanne & Darcy

I know what you mean about the fireworks. We’ve had them going on for a few days. Tonight is actually quieter than the previous two nights, but between thunderstorms and fireworks I have several cats who don’t want to eat. And I just had a text from a friend telling me that her cat was afraid of fireworks for the first time.

6. Chrispooky12

Chrispooky12 Well-Known Member

Same here in Indiana, there's been fireworks for several days. I thought last night was bad but tonight was way worse my house shook a couple of times & picture fell off the wall & about hit me in the head! Spook was scared to death Panzer didn't care though.

7. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

Hi Linda! I see Newman's been behaving - minimal stalling and nice & steady the last week or so :)

8. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Hey Shelley, thanks for checking on us. I see Suzanne was here as well. Thanks @Suzanne & Darcy

Shelley & Jess likes this.
  9. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

@Shelley & Jess, @Suzanne & Darcy

Newman is checking to see if you guys are watching! LOL :joyful: Once we said he was behaving, he says "Here's a pink for you!"

I do have a question though, what syringes do you all prefer? I have been using these Brandzig and recently got a box with some dull needles. They are so dull they won't pierce the skin, causing me to discard, wasting both syringe and drawn insulin and loading another one. The trick is in talking Newman to standby. :)

Oh, and does it matter if the syringe if 1/2cc or 3/10cc? That reference is to how much the syringe will hold. Am I right or am I confused?

Brandzig U-40 Pet Insulin Syringes 29G 1/2cc, 1/2" 100-PackBrandzig U-40 Pet Insulin Syringes 29G 1/2cc, 1/2" 100-Pack
    100 Count

10. Suzanne & Darcy

I used to use UltiCare U-40 syringes when Darcy was on ProZinc. Both Amazon and Chewy sell them and also some other brands.

11. Suzanne & Darcy

And yes - about the size the larger one - the .5 cc, doses up to 20 units and the smaller one - the .3 cc doses up to 12 units. Newman is on a small dose, so you don’t need the bigger ones.

12. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

@Shelley & Jess, @Suzanne & Darcy

I have been meaning to post to say thank you for suggesting the UltiCare syringes when I asked. I switched and I think they are much better quality and I find it easier to get the most accurate and consistent doses.

His numbers have been pretty consistent, probably not the best that they could be, but the best that I can do and feel relatively sure I can handle when home alone and limited.

I think of you all often, and feel so thankful for your guidance and patience as I struggled to learn and develop some level of confidence. I hope that Melissa @FrostD is doing well.

13. Suzanne & Darcy

You are doing great with Newman. I like his mid-cycle numbers this week — lots of blue. I wonder if that is the influence of the new vial? I hope you are doing well, too, Linda! Last I spoke with Melissa, she and her family were all doing just fine.

14. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Thanks Suzanne.

I can live with blue and yellow. Most of the yellow numbers are low and only a very occasional pink. Seems reasonable to assume that the new vial may have an effect.

Shelley & Jess likes this.
  15. Suzanne & Darcy

Hi Linda. I miss talking to you. I see Newman is still pretty steady on his 2 units? Has he been making himself available for testing? How are you?

Linda and Newman likes this.
  16. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Hey Suzanne, so nice to hear from you. I miss talking to you too!

Yes, Newman is staying relatively steady on the 2 unit dosing. There have been many times when I think I should try to push those yellow and blues a bit lower, but then decide not to rock the boat. He is clearly feeling pretty good, grooming, peeing and pooping with the occasional zoomies, and frequently chasing his favorite toys and Ozzie.

We have a good routine which I could not maintain without his cooperation. There a a few mornings where he delays returning on schedule for his AM dose, which requires extra freeze-dried chicken bites as bait.

I'm doing okay. How are you?

Edit to add tag. @Suzanne & Darcy

Last edited: Oct 27, 2023