? 9/28 Binx AMPS 169, +2 236 - traveling with a cat advice

Briana + Binx

Member Since 2024
Last post

Hope everyone had a nice weekend!

I think Binx is still finding his way back from our NS on Saturday night. I had a wedding to attend and couldn't find a sitter, but luckily his numbers were nice that day.

Aside from that, I'm considering for the first time taking a longer car trip/travel with Binx this October, to visit family. Many anti-jinx, but he seems to be stable right now. Even with that, I don't really want to be away from him for multiple days, so I'm thinking I might bring him with me since they're only a few hours away. For those that have traveled with their cat(s) before, any advice? I've brought him to stay with nearby friends before while I travel, so I know the deal with what to bring and I know he settles into new spaces nicely, but it's outside the city so I'm wondering things like:
- Do we need to stop for a pee break? I'm thinking of leaving first thing when I wake up because I know normally his first pee after that is around 11am and we'll make it before that
- I should probably know the nearest vet/emergency hospital
- Extra extra of everything since we won't be as close or things won't be as accessible

Any experience sharing would be super helpful!

Safe surfing ๐Ÿค—
 
I just responded to someone on Feline Health with a similar request. Answer in here: Flying with Butch - advice needed. though that was flying specific, the travelling with diabetic kitties doc is still relevant.

FWIW, when we did the 3 day each way car trip to Fort Collins, Neko only liked to pee when we were stopped. So gas stations, lunch stops etc. I'd put her in the LB the morning before we left. Next time when we flew, she waited until after the flight and subsequent car ride to Fort Collins, even though I offered it earlier. Then flooded the temporary LB I had with me when we got to the hotel. Also held it on the way back, but used the LB hubby had put in the car when he picked us up at the airport. But that was more like 8 hours. Quick car trips to Victoria, involving drive, wait at ferry terminal, ferry ride, drive (more than a few hours) I seem to remember she did use it when the car was stopped. But she had level 3 kidney disease by that point.
 
I used to drive 7 hours each way to Pittsburgh reunions with my cats.
I lined their hard carriers with pee pads, they had 2 plastic cups each that attached to the front door of the carriers. I would put a few drops of Rescue Remedy for Pets around the carriers on the pee pads, a couple of drops in their mouth and a couple of drops on the tops of their front feet. They had snug harnesses and leashes on almost always. I had a small litter box on the floor behind the passenger seat. When I would stop to see if they needed to use it, all doors and windows were completely closed before I let them individually out of their carrier to see if they wanted to go, and they never used the litter box. One time as soon as I started the trip J.D.'s BG was a little low and getting lower and he ate the higher carb food just fine from the little plastic cups.

Keep them in one room if you can at the destination and make sure and search it first to make sure there are no places they can escape. Jackson once climbed onto some furniture and up into and under the ceiling tiles, and I couldn't find him when it was time to leave to go home. Luckily as scared as he was, when I looked up under the ceiling tiles he came to me when I found him.

They would meow and cry somewhat loudly for the first 45 minutes of the drive (or if I tried to sing to the radio Lol) on the way. On the way home, they were quiet as mice and I imagined them sleeping on a long car ride like little children do.

Best of luck. I always took J.D. with me on trips.
 
I just responded to someone on Feline Health with a similar request. Answer in here: Flying with Butch - advice needed. though that was flying specific, the travelling with diabetic kitties doc is still relevant.

FWIW, when we did the 3 day each way car trip to Fort Collins, Neko only liked to pee when we were stopped. So gas stations, lunch stops etc. I'd put her in the LB the morning before we left. Next time when we flew, she waited until after the flight and subsequent car ride to Fort Collins, even though I offered it earlier. Then flooded the temporary LB I had with me when we got to the hotel. Also held it on the way back, but used the LB hubby had put in the car when he picked us up at the airport. But that was more like 8 hours. Quick car trips to Victoria, involving drive, wait at ferry terminal, ferry ride, drive (more than a few hours) I seem to remember she did use it when the car was stopped. But she had level 3 kidney disease by that point.
Ah! What timing - I should check the Health thread too next time. That traveling document is great, thanks for linking to the other post.

I feel like Binx might be the same and hold it until stopped or we're there. Luckily it's only a few hours, so timed properly, I think we'll be okay. I've only ever seen him pee in the carrier once and that was when we were at the vet for 3+ hours and right in the middle of that was his normal pee time. I ask for a litter box in the room now, just in case.
 
I used to drive 7 hours each way to Pittsburgh reunions with my cats.
I lined their hard carriers with pee pads, they had 2 plastic cups each that attached to the front door of the carriers. I would put a few drops of Rescue Remedy for Pets around the carriers on the pee pads, a couple of drops in their mouth and a couple of drops on the tops of their front feet. They had snug harnesses and leashes on almost always. I had a small litter box on the floor behind the passenger seat. When I would stop to see if they needed to use it, all doors and windows were completely closed before I let them individually out of their carrier to see if they wanted to go, and they never used the litter box. One time as soon as I started the trip J.D.'s BG was a little low and getting lower and he ate the higher carb food just fine from the little plastic cups.

Keep them in one room if you can at the destination and make sure and search it first to make sure there are no places they can escape. Jackson once climbed onto some furniture and up into and under the ceiling tiles, and I couldn't find him when it was time to leave to go home. Luckily as scared as he was, when I looked up under the ceiling tiles he came to me when I found him.

They would meow and cry somewhat loudly for the first 45 minutes of the drive (or if I tried to sing to the radio Lol) on the way. On the way home, they were quiet as mice and I imagined them sleeping on a long car ride like little children do.

Best of luck. I always took J.D. with me on trips.
Thanks, Dyana! ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค— Both you and Wendy mentioned Rescue Remedy, so I'm going to order some for Binx too. I'm guessing it'll be both good for the trip and possibly while we're there. Also, makes me think maybe I'll bring my Feliway plug in for at their house too. Couldn't hurt!

And omg!! Can't believe Jackson made it into the ceiling tiles. What an agile guy, sorry that he was so scared to do that. Wise advice though - I've asked for the biggest guest room for us to stay in, so that Binx can get properly acclimated/I can assess. I'm hoping he'll feel open enough to take on more space, but with a bigger room, it'll be comfortable for him if he wants to stay.

Glad you were able to take J.D. on trips with you, and now Jackson too.
 
Make sure you get the Rescue Remedy for pets. The human one has alcohol in it.
Good flag, thanks! I am now wondering if there's any risk with introducing this to him, since it's new and ingestible. After all the diarrhea/IBD/diet change, I'm a little spooked to give him something new that might upset his balance. Although, it's just a natural remedy and he has taken stuff like that before.
 
Make sure you get the Rescue Remedy for pets. The human one has alcohol in it.
They may not make it anymore, but as I remember there is one for Adults with alcohol, and there is one for Kids and one for Pets which are both the same ingredients without alcohol. The one for Kids is a little less expensive than the one for Pets.
 
You can still get Rescue Remedy for Pets, at least in Canada. Check pet stores or on line. I gave some on a treat, but you can also rub onto ears/paws.
 
Back
Top