8/8 Claudio AMPS 220 Back from ER Vet

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Susan & Claudio, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Susan & Claudio

Susan & Claudio Member

8-7-claudio-amps-60-skipping-pm-shot

Gave him 4U this morning hoping he would eat more than a 1/2 teaspoon today. Nope.
    Oh, and he vomited the baby food from last night and had diarrhea.
    So going on day 3 of this, I was getting overly worried. I found some one to take us to Emergency Vet.
    They took a bg test. 195.
    All blood work came back fine. Phew.
    She said his is a titch dehydrated.
    They gave him fluids and a shot for nausea.
    I asked for an appetite stimulate for future use. Got Mirataz transdermal.
    They wanted to keep him overnight for a glucose curve.
    I told her that I could do that at home. She was hesitant. But when she started to explain how to do it, I butted in and finished her sentences on how to do it. She was convinced that I am fully able to do it at home. Ya think, lol.
    Long story short, she thinks he may be transitioning out of needing insulin. I forget her exact words.
    She thinks the insulin was making him go way too low and his body was having a difficult time with it.
    She said don't give him any insulin for the next few days . Then take him to his regular vet.
    But continue taking bg tests. No problem.

I hope all of this makes sense. Doing all of this over a phone I was trying to take it all in.

2. Susan & Claudio

Susan & Claudio Member

Forgot to add they took urine sample. That was fine also.

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

These vets. From 4 units to not needing insulin. Really? My bet is pancreatitis but of course that wasn’t tested. Do you have cerenia or ondansetron? No way would I give an appy stimulant to a nauseous cat. It can cause food aversions. Sorry you ended up in the ER and in my opinion weren’t given good advice.

4. Susan & Claudio

Susan & Claudio Member

Was given Cerenia.
    My guess is that he went from 5.5U to 4U in less than a week and all these problems started. And his body was revolting the insulin. I had a really hard time trying to raise him back up.
    I asked for appy stimulate in case I ever needed. That was at my request. Who knows if I'll ever need in a week, a month, etc. Or ever.
    But was told not to give it now.
    When we got home, he actually ate an entire can of FF. 1st time in a week he ate that much.

Briere Fur Mom likes this.
  5. Briere Fur Mom

Briere Fur Mom Well-Known Member

Is he by chance constipated? Sorry if it's a dumb question.

6. Susan & Claudio

Susan & Claudio Member

Nope.That was checked also.

Briere Fur Mom likes this.
  7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I would drop the dose back. Claudio has been dropping into the 30s on multiple days. I'm glad to hear his appetite improved.

8. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad he ate some for you. I hope he continues to eat and feel better. Sending prayers.

9. LindyNova

LindyNova Well-Known Member

I know you've been testing thru yesterday, and I have been hesitant to post, but here goes.....I would have been very reluctant to skip insulin if my Nova was getting 4+ units, ...BUT I probably would have given a token dose (probably 1-2 units) to prevent a skyrocket. That said....I am very happy to hear that there were no underlying issues.

I sincerely hope that Claudio is staying safe and still eating while holding lower, not scary low, numbers and is on his way to being healed. I also hope that you got some beneficial, much needed rest.

All I can think about is that hairball....I know...probably not an issue, but it must have been pretty traumatic horking up that bad boy and maybe it caused some irritation on its way out....possibly even blocking absorption of food before exiting. I really, really hope it is not pancreatitis.

Hugs for you & scritches and long strokes for Claudio. Take care and update when you can. :bighug::bighug: