5/28, Susie, 212 AMPS, 155 @+1, 98 @+2, 58 @+3, 57 @+3.5, 66 @+4

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Summer and Susie (GA), May 28, 2021.

1. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/5-27-susie-323-amps.247877/#post-2796110

I wasn't planning on posting today but Susie had other ideas. I just want to make sure I am doing everything right with her:

AMPS: 212, Fed 1 oz l/c
    +1: 155, No food
    +2: 98, Fed 1 tsp l/c
    +3: 58, Fed 1 large tsp. l/c
    +3.5: 57, Fed some PureBite treats (no carb)
    +4: 66, No food

I only pull out the m/c if she goes below 50 right? Does everything look okay with my feeding the curve? I'll check again at +3.5.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
    Our Dolly Girl (GA) likes this.
  2. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

See how she does with the largish spoon of LC. Test at +3.5 and if she stays in the 50s try MC, if lower than 50 go for HC.

Summer and Susie (GA) likes this.
  3. Katherine&Ruby

And just a teaspoon of food at a time when you're getting her to come up. Resist the urge to overfeed. You want to keep her hungry.

4. Summer and Susie (GA)

She was 57 at +3.5. Maybe she is leveling off. I'll give a little more l/c but I don't want to blow this with too much food.

5. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Do you have LC that's slightly higher carb? 6-8%? You could try that.

ETA: if you don't have it, try mixing a little MC with LC to get higher carb LC.

6. Summer and Susie (GA)

No, I don't have a 6-8% LC. My highest low carb is 3%. I have a 10% I can mix with a little LC but I want to see where she is at +4 first. I need to let her +3.5 food settle just a few more minutes then I will test again.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  7. Summer and Susie (GA)

She is up to 66 at +4. I'm going to hold off on anymore food until +6 when she will get the rest of her am cycle allowance of calories (89 with FF tender liver & chicken - one can). Thank you for helping me this morning, Katherine and Bhooma.

8. Bandit's Mom

You're doing a great job of handling lower numbers, Summer! Looks like you are getting more comfortable with them! :bighug:

9. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thanks, Bhooma. The question now is to reduce or remain at 2 units? Technically, I said I would reduce at 60 but I'm not sure I want to when you look at that horrid bounce yesterday. I wish I could stop the bouncing.

10. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Great cycle. You always said carbs don’t bring her up but I am not so sure given you are feeding 3% carbs. I used 10-15 as mc and just a teaspoon OT two would bring Max up. What is your hc percent?

11. Katherine&Ruby

Keeping her surfing in greens may help train her liver to not dump sugar into it when she sees numbers this low. Nothing is guaranteed, of course; there are plenty of kitties here who have been on insulin longer than Susie who still bounce a lot for reasons unknown. But look at Susie's spreadsheet over the past few weeks and appreciate all of those greens.

You're making progress with Susie, Summer. Be present to this wonderful moment! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

12. Bandit's Mom

Considering how well you navigated the 50s today with little help from any of us, I think you're ready for TR! :cool:

13. Summer and Susie (GA)

I have a 16% and a 21% in h/c cans. I have struggled in the past with getting her to come up on l/c but it seems different now. I don't know what changed. She really behaved herself today.

14. Summer and Susie (GA)

I'm very pleased with her today and I do appreciate the greens. Katherine, I was a asking Bhooma about Susie's dose. I said I would reduce if she dropped below 60 but I'm not sure I want to at this point. What would you do?

15. Summer and Susie (GA)

I'm not ready to stay up all night testing. I prefer to feed a little more if she is dropping so I can sleep and have a life. Of course, if there is a concern I will set my alarm (or stay up). I would never leave her hanging in a perilous situation. Besides, what loving cat Mother could get any sleep if there were a question of safety?

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  16. Bandit's Mom

There are chances of this happening irrespective of whether you follow TR or SLGS with reductions at 60/70 :)

17. Katherine&Ruby

Bhooma's the one around here with the fully functioning crystal ball, but I think she's going to bounce tonight or tomorrow and you will not be happy at all about reducing. If it were me, I'd switch to TR and wait for her to drop below 50. This dose seems to be working for her and you might want to give it more time to see more blues and greens. See what @tiffmaxee says. She's more experienced with looking at the numbers and dosing.

18. tiffmaxee

I think she will likely bounce too. I don’t see you needing to stay up all night either. The more Susie gets used to green her cycles will flatten and you won’t see that many cycles where you need to set an alarm. So far she doesn’t seem to drop a lot at night. Look at the spreadsheets of those who follow TR and are not staying up all night. Look at Dolly’s. Look at my last one. I usually was done testing by +5 unless Max was flirting with a reduction. If it looks like Susie will keep you up you can give her 10-15%.

19. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Wow great job Sumner and Susie what a nice cycle :cat:

20. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

B-e-a-utiful cycle!

For what it's worth I wouldn't reduce either, this dose seems to be really doing well for her.

21. Summer and Susie (GA)

Can I switch to TR and stay on her current dose for as long as I am comfortable with it? I just got over the biggest impediment of me switching to TR and that was the reductions at 50.

22. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thanks, Diane. I was holding my breath when I tested her at +4. Just praying that she was coming up and not going down from the 57 at +3.5.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  23. Katherine&Ruby

You sure can. I have held Ruby's doses for three or close to four weeks if she was seeing some good low numbers. Susie might have a say in the matter though, so don't get too attached to those 2 units! ;)

24. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thanks. I wanted to ask you about your comment yesterday:

"I'm just now starting to feel I have the hang of Lantus...and I have a Levemir vial coming next week lol"

Are you switching because you have been unhappy with the Lantus? Mr. Kitty looked pretty good in those blues yesterday.

25. Summer and Susie (GA)

Susie always has a say in the matter. She outranks me every time. :smuggrin:

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  26. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

No I'm happy with the Lantus, but somewhere around 6U (maybe 8? Can't remember) it started to sting him. I've been using up my last vial then switching, Levemir hopefully shouldn't sting

27. tiffmaxee

Absolutely!

28. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

Great job Mama Bean and Susie:D:D:bighug::bighug::bighug:

29. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thanks, Pamela. It has been a remarkable day considering she is still in the blue at +10. I'm sure that will change at PMPS.

30. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Great job handling things today.

31. Summer and Susie (GA)

I hope the Levemir works better for your boy.

FrostD likes this.
  32. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thank you, Carla. Will wait for the big bounce tonight or tomorrow.

33. Summer and Susie (GA)

Question for the group. Who are the "active" moderators? I know Wendy is one. Is there anyone else? I think Marje has retired as I don't see anything from her anymore.

34. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  35. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

The role of a moderator really is to help folks stay on track, and "moderate" when there are problems. Even people who aren't moderators but are here and volunteer their time to offer help sometimes take a break from the forum due to other personal commitments. I rather suspect that is the case, and why you haven't seen recent posts.

Marje is still a moderator :)

36. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Wendy and Neko is an active moderator - she's West coast though - so typically she joins a little later in the day.

Nice job today with Susie! So glad to see you're going to do TR - it'll be nice to see her do this more often :) Get ready for a big ole bounce now - she's not used to these greens...so you'll have the night off this time.

Don't we all wish they'd surf this beautifully during the day :)

37. tiffmaxee

Marje does a lot behind the scene as does Wendy.

38. Summer and Susie (GA)

I haven't decided if I am moving to TR yet. There is no reason why I can't have these same results, with less restrictions, on SLGS. I have once again moved my reduction point. I am down to 55. Yes, I am ready for another big bounce. Glad you made it home safely with your girl.

39. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thank you, Elise.

40. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Nice cycle today. You’re getting better and better at feeding Susie’s curve! Pretty soon you will wish for greens all of the time. They become addictive.:D:D:D

41. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Our Dolly Girl (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Summer, I’ve been somewhat missing in action the last few days but I always have your SS open on my phone. So nice to see your confidence building, getting more comfortable with Susie’s lower numbers. You are both doing such a great job. This journey can be confusing and scary at times and most definitely time consuming. You have great people supporting you two that you can trust will only lead you in the right direction. Surf safely sweet Susie. Sleep well Summer. Tomorrow is another day for Susie to heal and move forward. Sending hugs :bighug::bighug::bighug: