5/27, Susie, 323 AMPS

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Summer and Susie (GA), May 27, 2021.

1. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

2. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

"Pokey Break" We all need those once in a while:bighug::bighug::bighug:

3. Summer and Susie (GA)

I'll remember that, Pamela. Yes, we all need those once in a while. I guess I'm not surprised with the bounce after the lowest AMPS she has ever had.

4. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Good morning, Summer. :coffee: The phrase refers to Lantus's ability to keep lower numbers flatter rather than pulling numbers down from higher ones. Look at Ruby's SS from this year. There have been a few precipitous drops from preshots into lime numbers, but that is few and far between. What you mostly see are preshot numbers, both blue and green, dropping 20-40 points at onset, rather than 100-150 which you often see with Susie going from pinks or yellows. You also don't see many bounces. Once you're in those lower numbers and the cat's become accustomed to them, no more bouncing. See PM cycle, 3/29: shooting a number like 68 is encouraged because a) it's not going to zero, b) it might drop to 50, but that's not a huge drop because it's being helped by the preshot meal, and c) it will stay steady and allow the kitty to stay in those numbers it needs to heal the pancreas.

I won't lie: I still got nervous shooting numbers below 69. It didn't happen often with Ruby, but when she did I monitored. And look, we all survived to tell the tale. :bighug:

I encourage you to really study Ruby's SS and at the spreadsheets of Butters and Lyla and of Jax and Susanne. They are veterans of Shoot Low to Stay Low and the examples I always looked to for encouragement when I got scared and eventually learned that everything would be all right. Just like you will be. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

That bounce is not surprising after her cycle yesterday. It's good to see she is already coming back down.

6. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thanks for the very good description. I'll remember it if I ever get in green preshots again. It probably takes several of those to get to where you do not bounce. Seems my low AMPS was just not worth it yesterday considering how high she is bouncing today. It is like one step forward and two back.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  7. Summer and Susie (GA)

She came down and then went right back up at what is supposed to be her nadir.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  8. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Don't get discouraged so easily, Summer. :bighug: This stuff doesn't happen overnight and you're only learning now how to feed the curve without panicking, and you're only now getting comfy with greens a bit more. You're doing great! And you know, even if you can't get Susie regulated, which is a possibility as much as remission is, you will know you did the best you could for her and she was loved as much as you could love her. ❤️The glass is half full. :bighug::bighug:

Summer and Susie (GA) and FrostD like this.
  9. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

It actually looks like her nadir has shifted back to +4 recently. I feel your pain, I'm currently playing the same game with Mr Kitty. The +2/+3 don't tell me anything anymore

Summer and Susie (GA) likes this.
  10. Summer and Susie (GA)

Are you having Mr. Kitty tested for Acro tomorrow? What is the 1AA test for? Good luck with these test tomorrow, Melissa. Do you know what they do to test for Acro? Thanks for your support.

11. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

IAA is Insulin Auto Antibody, or insulin resistance. From what I've read, that usually clears up on its own within a year.

Acro they test the IGF-1 level in the blood.he doesn't seem to have the clinical signs (his head could be getting bigger but it's honestly hard to tell, and his eyes do seem to be sensitive to light recently but it's also very sunny lately). Downside to this is it's a tumor. To remove it is just behind our means, so we'd have to start cabergoline - which there seems to be shortage right now? And I guess acro cats are prone to a whole host of other issues.

Turnaround time is 7-10 days. I'm not really sure what outcome I'm "hoping" for here. It would be nice to have an "explanation" for this wild goose chase I'm on with his dose, but at the same time we obviously don't ever want anything to be wrong with our cats!

12. Summer and Susie (GA)

I'm so sorry you are dealing with all of this. Looks like he really started doing well with the insulin around 3/19 then just stopped around 4/23. I see your conflict. Acro or tumor. I hate that so many cats on this site have additional problems. I keep waiting for the "other shoe to drop" with Susie. What additional medical problems is she going to develop?. I will say some prayers and keep my fingers crossed that the least invasive problem will be the reason the doses are not working. You are very smart with the diabetes and I have received invaluable tips from you. I know you know what you are doing. I hope you get some good answers and easy to fix solutions down the road.

FrostD likes this.
  13. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Thanks Summer. Don't mean to hijack your thread. I try to "give back" here as much as I can, I'm just now starting to feel I have the hang of Lantus...and I have a Levemir vial coming next week lol

Susie's looking really good! I have a habit of starting at the top of SSs and doing a quick scroll down, you can visibly see the color changes over time. Your patience is paying off, more blues and greens!

14. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Oh gosh. This has happened to me many times. Especially last year!