? 5/1 Acro/IAA dose reduction guidance Chicamonkey amps 102. Dose decreasing help

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Suzi and Chicamonkey, May 1, 2021.

1. Suzi and Chicamonkey

Suzi and Chicamonkey Member

Good morning!!
    Well, I never thought we would get here. I struggled so much in the beginning and made mistakes along the way but.... Chicamonkey is now at a place where I’m dose decreasing and I want to make sure I’m doing it right.
    She is on levemir and was up to 7 units which must have been the Magic number.
    The first time she was in the 70’s I almost had a heart attack with joy. After waiting without food she rose to 80, and another 30 minutes later she was 110. So I reduced her dose by half (3.5)
    The next dose I stepped down to 6.5 and she was doing well until another reduction was needed about 4 days later.
    Her actual dose is 6 units now....
    this morning her amps was 102, then 105 30 minutes later 109.
    So I’m thinking reduction by 1/2 to 2/3 dose again.
    She’s doing really well
    And I’d love some constructive thoughts ....
    I’ve been looking for sticky notes but can seem to find any on reduction???

2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Hi! I thought that the sticky note on the Lantus/Levemir forum about Tight Regulation had a formula for reductions based upon nadirs and how many times kitty hits a certain number warranting a reduction. From your message, it sounds like you have been doing a great job. I guess you finally reached the point where you broke through her glucose toxicity... because she is not on Cabergoline, is she? (Not in your signature anyway)

3. Suzi and Chicamonkey

Correct! She is not on carbergoline

4. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

Hi Suzi, I’m actually facing the same question as you today so I appreciate you posting!. I tried opening your SS but it says URL can’t be found. I’m not sure if there is something wrong with it for public viewing? It looks like there is no space in your signature between “spreadsheet” and “chicamonkey’s”.

Suzi and Chicamonkey likes this.
  5. Suzi and Chicamonkey

My computer crashed over a month ago.... I finally got a new computer and am working on getting Everything back up on the ss.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  6. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Wow, Tracy. I see Howie has been in the greens a lot. That's good, but I know you are struggling to keep him in a safe zone (especially when you are at work). I hope you can figure out how much to reduce his dose now.

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Suzanne is right - we usually point people to the insulin specific forums for dosing suggestions. But with that, you'll need a current spreadsheet we can all see to make sure we are aren't missing anything. On Levemir, I'd suggest TR as the best choice if you can swing it. We have some modifications suggestions for people if they are on cabergoline or other treatment for acromegaly, or if the IAA might be breaking.