4/6, Susie, 258 AMPS,

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Summer and Susie (GA), Apr 6, 2021.

1. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/4-5-susie-dont-like-the-drop.245738/#post-2773428

Two questions for you folks.

#1. Can a cat's pancreas heal with consistent numbers between 80 - 120? Or, do the numbers have to be much lower before the pancreas can start producing enough insulin?

#2. Depending on how Susie does today, can I increase to 2.25 units or should I hold her current dose for a little while longer since she is just recently responded to 2 units?

I hope everyone has a safe, non-eventful day. Thinking about Minnie and Buddy and wishing them good health.

@Wendy&Neko, @tiffmaxee, @Bandit's Mom, @Sue and Luci - can you all respond to my questions?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    FrostD and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  2. Cherryl & Mouzer

Cherryl & Mouzer Well-Known Member

I do not have the answers but am interested in seeing the answer for #1. That will help me make some decisions.
    I wish a wonderful day for you and Susie :)

3. Summer and Susie (GA)

Your Mouzer is pretty much falling in to the numbers that I would like to see (except those scary light greens). I really don't want to push Susie into the 50s and 60s and certainly nothing lower. You and Mouzer have a wonderful day too!;)

4. Cherryl & Mouzer

I do prefer no push to the 50's and below. That is too stressful. I am still trying to figure out how much blue is ok and that is not easy for me to know, being as Mouzer was not an all green cat when in remission. All I can do is keep testing and watching. I do hope Susie gets down to some comfy greens for you! And even with some safe blues mixed with the comfy green.

Summer and Susie (GA) likes this.
  5. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

You're just like me, Summer. I don't want to deal with numbers in the 40s or perhaps even 50s.

I don't anticipate Darcy ever going into remission, unless we are able to get the SRT radiation treatment for him. I have no idea if his pancreas functions or not. I suppose it may still be producing insulin and the acromegaly just makes it so that he cannot properly use his own insulin. I do know his pancreas looked normal on his ultrasound last fall, but that just means it wasn't inflamed probably.

6. Summer and Susie (GA)

From "your lips to God's ears", Cherryl. Safe blues and comfy greens for Susie.

7. Summer and Susie (GA)

I'm sorry you are having to deal with the acromegaly too. Poor boy. I hope you are able to get him the radiation but I cannot imagine what that is going to cost you.

8. Suzanne & Darcy

It will be between 4,500 and 6,500. I don't have the money. Will go into (further) debt.

9. Suzanne & Darcy

I wish safe blues and comfy greens for all of us!!! I would be very happy with that! Then we can sleep, too! Or leave the house and not worry!

10. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

It does look like Susie needs more insulin, but I'm not sure about how long you hold the dose after that green.

11. Summer and Susie (GA)

Wow, that is a lot. I'm so sorry. I know what you mean about being in debt. I was fine until last July when my sweet pup, Maddie, got really sick with something unknown (brain tumor)? It cost me $1,400 which I thought I was going to get paid off (credit card) but then Susie got the diabetes so a lot of "start up" money went into that on top of all her vet visits. Now my other dog just cost me another $828.00. I don't know if I will ever get in the black again the way things are going. We do what can - right?

12. Summer and Susie (GA)

Yes, I'm getting some strange high numbers now and am wondering if she isn't still in some kind of bounce. I think they say to hold the dose for three days after a bounce so you can see where she really is.

13. Adrienne & Molly (GA)

Adrienne & Molly (GA) Well-Known Member

I looked at your SS. Molly was sometimes still holds a bounce for a long time. It always nice to see the blues and safer greens. Have a great day Summer

14. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thanks, Adrienne. I will take it slowly and not plan an increase right now. I got some alarming blood test results from earlier and right now I just want to slow it all down.

15. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Hi Summer,
    This doesn't really address your questions, but it might help. I tested Tina today, and got a 56. She has been OTJ since Dec 2019. The 56 is a very common number for her. IMO, that is the healthiest kind of number to see. You should look forward to seeing lower numbers like in a cat needing zero insulin.
    In my own humble opinion, TR is more likely to take a cat to remission, and Tina held reductions when changing to TR.

16. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thank you, Tina Marie. So you are saying that it is better to get the kitty down to low numbers in order to possibly achieve remission. That numbers between 80 and 120 are not low enough? I appreciate your support.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  17. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh, yes.
    But a 56 in a cat who is OTJ is not the same as a cat who is on insulin and has a 56. @Summer and Susie Right?

Cherryl & Mouzer likes this.
  18. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Hi Summer - Did you edit your first post to add tags? If so, in my experience, tags do not go through when one edits a post and then adds a tag. I had most success with tags when making a new comment on a post. IMHO, there isn't really a reason to edit your first post of the day unless you are fixing a typo or something like that. Any other comments or questions should be a brand new comment below your first post of the day. Hope that helps some. There's lots of good info on posting in the Making the Most of your Lantus, Basalgar, Levemir ISG Experience sticky.

Bandit's Mom and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  19. Cherryl & Mouzer

Summer and Susie, I found this in the forum, you might want to read it :)
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-low-is-too-low.142105/
    There are also a couple of links in the thread, of interest, within the quote pasted below...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  20. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

"Not one moderator answered my questions"
    First, I didn't get any tags. Two, FDMB is an open and peer reviewed forum - anyone can put in their $0.02 worth. There are lots of knowledgeable people who can answer questions on this forum. The job of the moderators is not to answers questions, although we sometimes do, but to ensure smooth running of the forum. That includes late night dealing with spammers. :mad: Three - am dealing with a death in the family - picking my battles today.

21. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

I'm just saying that even with insulin, you want numbers as close to normal as safely possible. It is a hard dance to stay safe and low, but that is the ultimate goal. However, if one determines their cat won't go into remission, for the caregiver, hovering too low can create undue stress and loss of sleep. Nothing is unhealthy about 80 to 120, even though those are really safe and healthy numbers for humans. On a human meter, the normal numbers for cats are closer to 45 - 80.
    For an Acro kitty, you can aim for numbers like @Pamela & Amethyst !

22. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

As long as the 56 doesn't turn into a 46 before nadir with nobody watching! Your precious one has a high dose condition, which I have no experience with other than believing it's safer to run a bit higher. I take Lantus and Humalog as a fast acting - kisses to your Darcy Boy! I love my diabetic kitty cousins, lol.

23. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Sure, that's very likely. Some cats are fast learners, depending on how they were diagnosed, how quickly they were found to be diabetic and were put on insulin, how the insulin is working for them, whether they are epic bouncers, etc.

I think in general, for most us, we are trying to achieve flat cycles on Lantus, and what you have noted seems like a good target, but kitties don't always do what we want. I see that reference range sometimes, although I'm still not entirely clear on where that comes from, and whether it is based on a pet meter or lab normal ranges, since it actually doesn't correspond with either, as far as I know. Maybe Dr. Google? In any event, I think healing does happen when kitties spend more time in numbers which are closer to what a non-diabetic cat would generally have. With most of us following human meters, I have seen kitties very tightly regulated with numbers above 50 and lower than 100. And make no mistake, we certainly don't mess with the 30s nor should we take numbers under 50 lightly, hence the suggestions for feeding HC and / or syrup when a kitty drops under 50. The problem is, most of us don't always get nice flat cycles so we need to constantly assess how the dose is working and make adjustments. Which brings me to #2...

What I see is you've held the dose for 9 days (18 cycles), with only one nadir barely under 100. She's had greens before, although few and far between. If it were me, I'd like to see more lower blues and greens, and less yellows and stinky pinkies, so my vote is for an increase unless she shows you something special tonight.

Lastly, of the folks you tagged, only Wendy is a moderator :), and the others are just people with experience here on the forum, all of whom may or may not be able to reply quickly for whatever reason. Sometimes tagging doesn't work. Sometimes, as much as we all try and pitch in and help with questions, life just gets in the way.

24. Suzanne & Darcy

I just mean that some of us aren't used to seeing numbers that low... and some don't even want to see number that low. You must be a truly great cat Mama to manage your kitty this well with so many conditions!

25. Suzanne & Darcy

What happened with Maddie?

26. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

@Summer and Susie , like @JaxBenji correctly pointed out, I didn't get the tag - probably because you edited your post to add it. Apologies for missing your post.

I doubt I could have explained it as well as @Christie & Maverick did, though! :)

27. Summer and Susie (GA)

I'm not sure I understand. Wouldn't a 56 be the same in an OTJ cat as an insulin dependent cat?

28. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thanks, Susanne. You might have already told me this. I put the tags in my original post but I guess they did not go through.

29. Suzanne & Darcy

No. It is not the same because a cat on insulin who hits 56 may drop too low under the influence of the insulin. A cat who is OTJ (or never was diabetic in the first place) may often have a BG of 56 (and even lower) but they will not go hypo because their body is able to regulate itself naturally.

Now, there are people around here who know their cat well enough and have a large body of data to support when/if to shoot low numbers like that (I'm not one of those people).

30. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thanks! I read the first link and will read the others soon. You helped to answer my question about how low a cat should go in order for the pancreas to heal (60 - 90). I am relieved to know that I don't have to get down to the 50s although some people on this site may disagree. I would be happy with 70s to 110.

31. Summer and Susie (GA)

I'm sorry, Wendy. I tagged in the original post but it did not go through. I'm also sorry about the death in your family.

32. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thanks for all the information, Christie, and being patient with me. I have been very worried about trying to get Susie into really low numbers and knowing that I will not be comfortable with them. She has really gone up in the last couple of days from her 4/4 journey to the lagoon. I don't know if it is some kind of a bounce or I need to toss my lantus pen (started on March 2nd) and open a new one. It doesn't seem as clear as it was when I first opened it.

33. Suzanne & Darcy

She's been on that dose long enough to warrant a dose increase, don't you think?

34. Summer and Susie (GA)

We never knew but it all happened so quickly. She was "head butting" for a while (sign of brain tumor) then stopped eating, stopped drinking stopped going outside to eliminate, would pace around the house, stare at walls. She was going downhill quickly. Vet did complete blood work and it all looked fine. He had no idea what was wrong with her. She was miserable. My Mom and I finally took her to the ER hospital and asked to have her put down. ER doctor guilted me into leaving her so the other doctor could see her in the morning. I got a phone call early in the morning the next day to say that she hadn't eaten and had a full blown seizure. I told them to put her down - NOW. No more pain for my girl. All of this happened in less than a week.

35. Summer and Susie (GA)

I'm not one of those people either.

36. Summer and Susie (GA)

Yes, because she continues to go up. I am questioning the viability of the lantus, too, so am tossing the pen I opened on March 2nd and opening a new one.

37. Cherryl & Mouzer

That information helped me better too. I would also be happy with the 70's to 110. The upper 60's, 67 to 69, I am ok with but that is the point I do get nervous for when I have to leave Mouzer for three or four hours. And I prefer no blue but I know Mouzer has never been an all green cat, so I am ok with some blue - I am even ok with 120 - but not too much of it throughout the day. I have yet to figure out how much is not too much, as in how many hours of it, so I tend to be uncomfy right now with very many blue hours showing up.

And I just dont want to do that drop again. I was dealing with the drops to the 40's, when they were at 47 to 48, but when the drop went to 44 and at a +2, I had a feeling something was coming, and Mouzer dropped to 35 and this is where I draw the line. I never wanted him to hit the 30's, but now, since he did, I dont even want to see him hit the 40's again. I dont like playing around with my cat's life like that -- and there is more to it than the life of our cats, there is our lives going down in the process, but my main concern is the life of my cat. That daring the hypo green area is playing russian roulette, in my eyes. I dont like that game.

I saw someone say something about people not wanting to do the work, for TR --
    I work my behind off every day and I have worked harder than the majority all of my life. And what I do in life now, is a 7 day a week, no less than 16 hours in a day and often more, no days off, no vacation, type of work and I have not had a vacation since my last one in 2003. I used to go visit my son for a week, every year, for my vacation time. I cannot even go see my own son because of the work I do with animals.
    So, this about people dont want to do the work for TR is bull malarkey where I am concerned lol
    I simply dont want to play russian roulette with my cat's life. I hold the syringe, means I hold the gun :)

Whatever you do, learn as much as you can, so that you can know what you will and will not allow for your kitty, and stand.
    Do not allow pressure from any person or group of people, or even possibly being ostracized, cause you to not hold your stance :)
    Get wise and be strong. Learn as much as you can. The more you learn, the better the decisions you can make :)
    I am in process of taking in all of the information I can, so that I can be more sure of my decisions.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  38. Suzanne & Darcy

That pen should still be good. You can try the new pen and see what she does at the same dose she's on now.

Won't you be getting Susie's blood results back today?

39. Summer and Susie (GA)

I'm totally with you, Cherryl. I will do what I feel is safest for my cat no matter what anyone says. I don't need to be the 40's or 50's. The 60's will make me nervous especially if it is prior to nadir. I'm so sorry you work your butt off. Everyone needs a break now and again and the diabetes can take all that away depending on how kitty is doing. The article scarred me. Now, if I get a 60 I will wonder how it is really affecting Susie. You take care, Cherryl. If you ever want to vent just send me a private message.

40. Summer and Susie (GA)

Good idea. I'll wait to start the new pen tomorrow and keep her on the same dose for one more day. I got Susie's blood/urine test back. They are in my labs on the spreadsheet. ALT went up, again, and so did white blood cells. Most alarmingly were her ABS Neuts. The went from 5208 on March 2 to 12,006 on April 2nd and the vet didn't even bring this number up. I saw it when I got her test. Vet says she has an infection/inflammation in her body and he wants to put her on two, back-to-back Covenia shots (every 10 to 14 days) then do a mini chemistry. I know a lot of folks on this site don't like or trust the Covenia but I don't know what to do and I have to get antibiotics in her system SOON!

41. Suzanne & Darcy

Is he offering Convenia because you cannot pill Susie? OR you cannot get liquid meds into her?

42. Suzanne & Darcy

She definitely has an unaddressed infection.The problem with Convenia is not just that it can cause hemolytic anemia (although my vet says she's never seen that happen -- I know of a few people who had this happen to their cats) -- but Convenia is not a good antibiotic for a liver infection or even a urinary tract infection, or a dental infection, or whatever kind of infection Susie most likely has. Convenia is really only good for skin infections. This is what my vet says. She'd be far better off on Clavamox or Baytril or another broad spectrum antibiotic. I was just talking with my vet last Friday about Convenia (the day I had Darcy in there for his CBC re-check and cardiac ultrasound). The reason the subject came up is because I was telling her that this little rescue kitten (Tinkerbelle) had been given a Convenia injection by a different vet. She was asking why a Convenia injection... I said it was because I had to drop her off so I wasn't there to object and ask for Clavamox. She said the only time they use Convenia is where there is absolutely no way to give any pills or liquid to an animal, for example, a feral cat. She was saying it's not the best antibiotic for those types of infections that I mentioned above.

I also know people whose cats were given Convenia injections (there are people from the Tanyackd support group) for a kidney infection or a suspected kidney infection... or another unknown infection... and the cat never got better. They ended up going back to ask for different antibiotics.

Now, Susie may not be able to tolerate Clavamox. When we took little Tinkerbelle back to our regular vets, (not the first vet who gave her the Convenia and also totally missed the huge abscess on her back that the regular vets drained -- and it still burst the next day -- anyway... they went ahead and put her on Clavamox. So we started that on Saturday morning and by Monday morning she had diarrhea. We have now switched her to Antirobe (Clindamycin). Sorry for writing such a long post!

Dyana and Marje and Gracie like this.
  43. Summer and Susie (GA)

I have never tried to pill or get liquid meds into Susie. My concern with her is her swallowing issues that are unknown and my vet knows of my concern which is why he is offering the injections. Liquid meds might work but I always worry that she would spit it out.

44. Suzanne & Darcy

It can be tricky to get liquids into some cats... it depends how compliant they are and some cats are hard to pill, as well. If they won't eat after a pill, then you end up having to syringe a few CCs of water into them anyways. Some of my cats gobble up pills in pill pockets. If they are chewers though and crunch down on a nasty pill, then sometimes that turns them off of pill pockets. I always use the silicone tipped pill shooter just to make things easier for me. I'm so sorry. I understand she needs antibiotics. I understand why he's offering the injections... I'm just afraid it won't work. If you decide to go with it, then re-check her CBC in two weeks to see if it's even going down.

45. Summer and Susie (GA)

I like your long post but now I am confused. First I thought you recommended Clavamox but then you said you had diarrhea problems with it. Will google search Clavamox.

46. Summer and Susie (GA)

47. Suzanne & Darcy

Clavamox is a very effective antibiotic. However, some cats cannot tolerate it and will have GI problems (usually diarrhea, sometimes vomiting.) Some of my cats have no problems on it whatsoever. I have to keep a chart to remind myself of who can and who cannot take Clavamox (too many cats).

48. Suzanne & Darcy

But the Baytril injection is only effective for 24 hours. Vet and I just talked about that, too (I'm such a frequent flyer there!) That came up in the Convenia discussion.

49. Suzanne & Darcy

OBTW, I forgot to mention that little Tinkerbelle has normal stool now (I only stopped the Clavamox yesterday and started her on the Antirobe (Clindamycin) yesterday and she's back to normal ... what a relief.

50. Cherryl & Mouzer

ditto and same on everything all the way around :)
    And I work so hard because I chose too - or well, animals require you to and I chose to do it for them :)

51. Summer and Susie (GA)

I'm glad to hear that your little Tinkerbelle is better. I am so confused. There is an Intern several miles up the road that works at the Animal Emergency Clinic. I think I just need to make an appointment to see him. He will be more qualified to help Susie (I hope). I just cannot trust my vets but cannot wait to do something.

52. Summer and Susie (GA)

I just read that Baytril comes in pill or shot form and the shots last two weeks. http://www.diabeticcatcare.com/DCCCOK/Antibiotics.htm

53. Summer and Susie (GA)

There is no higher calling for me than to help animals. I swear if I had the money, and the space, I would have a "sanctuary" full of dogs, cats, bunnies, goats, sheep, cow and horses and burros. I love animals so much more than people.

54. Christie & Maverick

Ah, if it were only so easy to know unequivocally when a kitty might decide to go into the 40s or 50s! Unfortunately, we don't get to determine what the kitty will do. I have seen cycles where kitties are in perfectly acceptable numbers, perhaps some might say on the high side, only to dip down into ranges that require action. I have also seen caregivers stop testing when they get a number in the 70s or 80s early in the cycle (maybe even lower), on a cycle where it was clear that the kitty was dropping. That is not in the spirit of the TR dosing method, and the truth is, it is up to each caregiver to make sure they understand how their kitty responds to carbs and insulin, when their kitty onsets, nadirs, how much duration they get, etc. etc. Period. And unfortunately, even when you think you know your cat, they can occasionally surprise you.

Please do re-read the original post on how low is too low, there are some really good key points that each caregiver needs to clearly understand. The original intent of that post was actually to address what had been occurring here with some members following TR who DID NOT intervene when kitties were low, and became complacent, expecting that there was no harm in doing so.

55. Suzanne & Darcy

I do not believe that is what they meant. Ask your vet about it though. Pretty sure it would be a once a day injection. Everything I read as well talks about "per day" dosing.

56. Suzanne & Darcy

I sometimes feel that way, too... but the kind of people who are on this board are the kind of people that I like!

57. Cherryl & Mouzer

Me Too! AND I apologize for cutting this short but I got Mouzer wanting to dance and play with his bg levels :(
    I do hate this game :(

58. Summer and Susie (GA)

I did read that article. Cherryl sent it to me and it frightened me even more with trying to get the BG low. Every cat is different. Some cats can experience symptoms of hypoglycemia at numbers in the 60's and you will not see it. I think that the drive to push cats to lower and lower numbers is actually harmful if it is foreign territory for them. Some cats should just be allowed to experience normal numbers like 70 to 120. I am not a fan of pushing my Susie into really low numbers. They are foreign to her body and I will not do that.

59. Summer and Susie (GA)

Yes, the people on this board are terrific and I am so grateful to them even though I sometimes piss them off. That is out of frustration.

60. Summer and Susie (GA)

He came up to 124 so you are doing something right. This is what I am talking about. Why do we drive them so low when it is really abnormal for them in their diabetic state? I say go really slow. Let the body adjust to the insulin. Let's stay in "comfy blues and safe greens".

61. Cherryl & Mouzer

He would not eat HC when he got to 47, so I put my finger in the bottle of karo syrup and, most likely too much, put it on his gums and around in his mouth. I overdid the karo not too long ago lol But as long as I did not send him to the moon, I prefer he shot up than go down.
    I have to keep watch now, because not sure how long karo will work. I tried to figure it up from the last time and I think the karo worked for about two hours and then he came back down and got to the number 47, like he is today lol he must like that number hahaha But ok, I am watching now to see if he comes down within two hours of the karo I gave.

And we were at 1.25 dose - when he did this and I it was the first time I used the karo. And because he got to 35, and had previously done the 40's, I got scared and reduced his dose from 1.25 to 0.50, which I should inform you is not TR Protocol.
    Mouzer is weird. Your cat may or may not be weird. We cannot know which cats are the weird cats lol

But Mouzer has gone below 50 on this darn 0.50. I am reducing to 0.25 and honestly, I am so scared, I would reduce to make it even less, but I do not know how to do that ... That syringe is not so hot lol I could take a guess and make it just under the 0.25 line. I have to think on this. Right now, because of the past drop to 35, even the upper 40's scare me. I am sorry to speak to you with these fears but they are justified fears.

62. Christie & Maverick

No argument from me, I was trying to highlight that it is up to each caregiver to really know how their cat is responding to insulin and carbs, and that there are many instances in my time here, where I have seen kitties do things that their caregiver didn't expect them to do. You have to do what you feel comfortable with, and that sounds like the SLGS dosing method.

Again, it's not as simple as saying I want my kitty to stay within 70-120 or whatever range you pick, and kitties doing exactly what we want them to do. Lantus is a hormone, not a drug, and you may find, more often than not, that there are many variables that can affect the BG levels from one cycle to the next.

63. Summer and Susie (GA)

Mouzer is doing very well, Cherryl. You did have that scary 47 but folks on this site would say that is fine. It will be interesting to see how he does on the reduced dose of .25. I would have the same fears if I were you. It does consume your life - doesn't it? I'm sure he is worth it.

64. Summer and Susie (GA)

I know you cannot completely control their numbers. This disease, and treatment, is so unpredictable. Seems if everything you do, and feed, is the same every day it would be easier to control the numbers. I appreciate your understanding of my not wanting to "deep dive" into the low greens. I just don't have that comfort level but I do want her to be as safe, healthy and happy as she can be for the rest of her life.

65. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I'm just seeing this today - I was out (off the forum) most of yesterday...

Re #1 - from my experience here most healing occurs between 50 - 100. Most cats, not all, but most cats seem to hold a stronger remission when the caregiver takes it nice and SLOW, really slow - going down the dosing ladder...never stopping insulin until you're down to practically needlejuice...

Some cats however, drop into those lovely greens as if a light switch was turned on - and it stays on! Amazing! I've seen that and felt that it was like a miracle. Any blues crop up means that the kitty needs more insulin. Even if it's only a tiny drop...but it needs to be sustained on insulin until they're fully capable of producing their own insulin - 100% of the time.

I've seen many people here who felt that 'some blues' were ok...and they had some greens...and said 'ok that's it...remission'...only to return to the forum a few months or even years later - out of remission. So I'm not saying that it's 100% guaranteed to not stay in remission IF that's the way it was handled...but I'm saying that because every cat is different there's no way to predict reliably what the outcome will be - however - I've been here for three years - and I've seen those who speed into remission with the sprinkling of blues and those who tend to stay as long as possible with the greens and sprinkling of blue until there are no more blues at all...and those folks seem to do better with a strong remission...

I hope this makes sense...but lower numbers are better in my opinion...

Sorry I wasn't around and didn't get your tag...as a matter of fact, I was just looking at the posts and never did get a tag from you...

I hope this is helpful.

66. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Suzi, Do you have a newer condo for 4/8?

I was going to make another comment...

67. Summer and Susie (GA)

Yes, your info was/is helpful. If you look at my original post on this day I had tagged four people but none of them got the tag. I'm just not comfortable going in to the 50s or especially lower. Maybe I could get there someday. If this disease and treatment were more predictable I would be more comfortable but I don't want to play the "Russian Roulette" with the lower greens. I did start another condo for 4/8.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  68. Cherryl & Mouzer

Yes afraid and yes to consuming hahaha

As for the thread I provided link to, within the thread is stated they had issues with complacency and people not jumping on low numbers with the mc, hc, honey, karo, etc... and that was when that info post was created, and I understand that, however there is a lot of information within that info post that should always be considered. The principles within the post are important for all time.

And for me, if I am having to sit on top of a cat with mc, hc and karo, because I sent him to the lows, then I have an issue with that and I want to lower the dose to a safer dose. And as we can see, even with a safer dose, 0.50 went to the lime green... but I did not send Mouzer there because I was so bullheaded that I would not lower the dose to where I felt it was a safer route. He went there because he went there, after I made a wise decision to go lower than protocol.

If I would have stuck to protocol because ... I do not have a mind of my own? -To keep in mind that ECID and sometimes things cannot go just so with protocol, he would have been limed out much sooner and maybe much lower and I cannot know when is the low to no return, because we cannot know that, and it would have been all my fault because I insisted I must follow something that did not sit well with me, and that because other people wanted strict protocol, regardless. In a way, sometimes it can get to feeling almost as if you are being bullied into doing what your gut is telling you not to do.

The information on that info thread should not be taken lightly. And although it is said the 40s and 30s are not taken lightly, the contradictory part of that is when it is often brought up how normal cats run in the 40s, whenever you are being cautious about your kitty dropping to the 40s and 30s -- Not all normal cats run in the 40s. I have a variety and they run 48, 70, 150 and my Mouzer ran 70's to 165 and I see he also ran 170 and back down again, all without insulin -

I trust those 40s for those cats who run in the 40s because they are natural and not insulin induced. I do not trust induced lows. We do not know what is the normal for every cat and which cats will not hold up to the lower numbers. We have to be cautious and wise at all times. And I do know my cat but I am constantly balked against when I speak of what I know about my cat lolol with that 'we' cant know... Well yeah, we as in you cant know lol He is my cat :D I know more about my cat than anyone, And still I do not know enough. I choose to err on the side of caution :)

I do not know your kitty, neither does anyone else. Learn your kitty. Take your time. Learn all you can about this whole ordeal. Learn with the desire to make wise decisions on our own. I had told my husband, I must learn all I can learn because what if I cannot get to this board for help and I have to make the calls all by myself. I need to know what I am doing :)

And Edit to say, I did not know this was a thread from, not today lol
    I responded to the alert. I apologize :)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021