4/5, Susie, Don't like the Drop.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Summer and Susie (GA), Apr 5, 2021.

1. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...-2-25-91-4-50-the-lagoon.245690/#post-2772856

Susie's visit to the beach, and brief stint at the lagoon, resulted in "The Hangover" and it is time for me to put on my "patience pants". This is a bounce, isn't it folks?

Thanks to Julie & Punkin (GA) it makes sense. Susie's beautiful day at the beach and lagoon resulted in her liver trying to protect her body (from those nasty, low/abnormal numbers) by releasing hormones and sugar to counterbalance the lows. Such a shame. Just when you think you are making progress Susie goes from the lagoon, to the beach, to the lemon tree and up to the stratosphere. Hope I don't have to wait 3 days before Mr. Liver settles down!

Susie has dropped to 156 at +2 this evening. What should I do? When should I check? I am concerned about this. @Bandit's Mom, @Wendy&Neko, @tillimax.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  2. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Nice green yesterday:D. I hope Susie breaks that bounce soon.
    Have a great day!

Summer and Susie (GA) likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Susie comes back down soon.

4. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Looks like Susie might be clearing the bounce already. Slide on down softly, kitty.

5. JOJI and Kit

JOJI and Kit Well-Known Member

break that bounce politely, susie.
    have a great day, summer.

6. Summer and Susie (GA)

She did at +5.75!
    Thanks, JOJI. You have a great day too.

JOJI and Kit likes this.
  7. Summer and Susie (GA)

She is down to 184 at +5.75. Yeaaaaaaaaaa!

carfurby (GA) likes this.
  8. Summer and Susie (GA)

How do I find someone on this site? I haven't heard anything from FrostD in many days and I am worried.

9. Summer and Susie (GA)

Not sure if anyone is going to see this but I am concerned with Susie's curve today. She just got a 199 at PMPS. Of course, I shot, but this has been a bouncy type day. What can I expect with the ups and downs? Of course I will check her BG again around +2 or +3 but this is a little new to me. Any advice? She also spit up a small amount of frothy type material so I chopped up, finely, 1/2 of a Famotidine and put it in her food. I do not want to "stuff" pills down her throat with the swallowing issues she has going on. Hope someone sees this as I have been told not to post twice in one day but I'm really not sure how to draw attention again.

@Wendy&Neko, @Bandit's Mom,

10. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

If you have questions and concerns (sounds like you do), you can always change your title - add the '?' and say in ALL CAPS right after your AMPS/name/date - NEED HELP with PM dose or NEED HELP with meds, etc. It will catch more attention like that...

As for her numbers today, they look pretty good to me...199 is almost 200...the yellows were low and the blues are high -darn near a flat cycle after sliding down out of the low pink. Those numbers aren't as wild as one might think at initial glance...and a nice 100 point drop over the course of the day was well done on Susie's part. Luci on the other hand likes to pull those 100 point drops off in a couple of hours as she is a big show off diver girl...going low and swooping around with the sharks is her M.O.

So Susie had a pretty good day as far as the numbers go. Re: the vomiting...not sure what's going on there...but I too would be reluctant to pill a nauseated kitty...

Update your title and ask the question about the meds - with the ? until someone comes along who might be able to better help.

Hope things settle down in the tummy department.

11. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Oh, me too, Summer. I hope you don't have to wait long before she comes back down. I think she and Mr. Darcy have been bouncing together.

12. Suzanne & Darcy

Summer, can you describe Susie's swallowing problem. When she eats, does she swallow normally? Does she gulp at other times?

I understand your concern about pilling a kitty with swallowing problems. I once had a cat with an esophageal injury caused because this cat had been dry-pilled Clindamycin. It is documented in the veterinary literature that clindamycin can cause esophageal injury, but I NEVER dry pill a cat. This was a rescue cat that was not in great shape when I got her and she also had toxoplasmosis... but anyway, I just understand your desire to not pill her right now. It is possible you could do this safely and make sure she eats after you pill her... but I'm glad she ate the pepcid in the food (I am surprised she ate it, but good!)

13. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Sorry I am here! Just caught up with holidays and our own 1-2am bounce break habit :banghead::blackeye:

14. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

It's often hard for me to post every day, but I am usually lurking.
    Susie's had a good few days actually! Hoping she keeps coming down, but slowly and not too much excitement!

Per your original post, a bounce can happen if they drop "too fast" as well, not necessarily low numbers. Like mr kitty dropped 140 in 3 hrs last night while breaking a bounce, I honestly expected it to trigger another bounce. I'll see for sure at PMPS

15. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Hi Summer, she's still doing just fine. She's actually come down just a little, if I look at am cycle of April 4th, she dropped a bit more quickly and into pretty nice greens. Let's see where she is at around +3, that will tell you how quickly she is onsetting, then we can perhaps bump her carbs, depending on that number. How does that sound?

16. Summer and Susie (GA)

Susie seems to eat just fine. She just swallows a lot during the course of the day. It doesn't seem to bother her. She has been doing it forever (since I have had her for two years). She didn't eat the full amount tonight but I'm sure she will and she will get the full pill at some point.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  17. Summer and Susie (GA)

Just wanted to make sure Mr. Kitty and you were okay. I hadn't seen a post from you in a while and your have been very supportive of me and Sus. Looks like Mr Kitty is doing darn well. I'm very happy for you!

FrostD and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  18. Summer and Susie (GA)

I'd like to take her dose up but right now I am concerned that she was at 199 at PMPS and then 156 @+2. I think I might have to monitor her tonight until she starts to come up. I am not thinking about increasing her dose - not yet.

19. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thanks, folks. I'll test again in one hour (at +4) and hope she will be going up. I like my sleep and this has been an unusual day with the numbers.

20. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

So I know you're new to these numbers, but that's not a big drop, nothing I'd worry about.

Chances are yes she'll probably continue to drop to nadir. Keep in mind nadir is usually +4 to +6, and looking at her spreadsheet she seems to fall anywhere in that range in a given cycle...what I'm trying to say is don't be worried or surprised if she isn't going up at +4.

I guess my question is - what is your ultimate goal for Susie? What range do you want to keep her in?

She's only seen one nadir close to 90; with TR you still have 40 points of wiggle room there. My opinion is she definitely needs more insulin. If she continues to hang out in the low 200s I fear you'll start to fight some glucose toxicity.

21. Summer and Susie (GA)

We are okay now. She is at 192 @+3.25 tonight so her numbers are coming up and I am going to bed. Thanks to all who have advised me. I guess the higher dose of Lantus is really starting to make an effect and I'll have to get used to numbers that I am not familiar with. Goodnight to all and, again, thanks for being around to support me.
    What do you mean, Christie, about bumping her carbs? Do you mean that if she were to continue to go lower we would feed to stop the drop? I think we are okay for tonight. Thanks for being a part of Susie's journey. I have a feeling I will be relying on you, and others, more and more in the future. Good night.

22. Summer and Susie (GA)

My ultimate goal is numbers between 80 and 120. I know she needs another dose increase but it was a wacky week for her from Thursday, when I left too much food when I was gone for 4 1/2 hours, and then Friday when she was at the vets and her glucose was "sky high". She did so well yesterday but then had the bounce today. I just want to give her one or two more days on the 2 units before I opt for an increase. I'll see how she does tomorrow and take it from there.

FrostD and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  23. Suzanne & Darcy

Good night, Summer. I understand what you mean about being used to certain numbers. I’m right there with you.

24. Suzanne & Darcy

You really are doing great! You are!

25. Summer and Susie (GA)

Chances are yes she'll probably continue to drop to nadir. Keep in mind nadir is usually +4 to +6, and looking at her spreadsheet she seems to fall anywhere in that range in a given cycle...what I'm trying to say is don't be worried or surprised if she isn't going up at +4.

She had gone up from 156 at +2 to 192 @ +3.25 so I am not worried tonight.

26. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I understand!

Looking at the SS, on the days she goes up by +3, she often nadirs later around +6/7 (3/22, 3/23, 3/25, 3/27, 3/29 as examples). Just some food for thought. My guess would be the onset is later in those cycles, so those first few hours she's getting a bit of a food bump, especially if she's free-fed and eating from PS to +3.

When you have a chance, it might help to note how much she's eaten by what time when you're home. With Mr Kitty I tracked it for a bit just to see what his habits were and what kind of food bumps I could expect.