? 4/29 Binie, AMPS 438, +3 291, +6 270, +9 345 - going up to 2,75 IU?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Heike & BInie, Apr 29, 2024.

1. Heike & BInie

Heike & BInie Member

Last post: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/4-28-binie-amps-428-3-337-6-363.289359/

Good afternoon,

after a night in pink and red we saw some yellow again today. But this is not, where I want her to stay.

She is still super tired from the surgery and sleeping most of the time. I called the vet and they said it is normal for her age after a surgery like that. As long as she eats well (she does) and uses her toilet (she does) I shouldn't worry. They said also the cone might make her more immobil. I hope they are right.

After the shot tomorrow morning with 2,5 IU the week with this dose is complete. But there was the furshot on wednesday and the reduced dose on thursday because of the surgery. Does this mean, I have to wait longer for an increase? Besides I am a bit scared to go back to 2,75 IU, which seemed to be too much before. And when she is healing more, she needs less insulin?

So would it be wise to wait a bit longer with 2,5 IU or should I go up to 2,75 IU tomorrow evening? Or should I even find a dosing between 2,5 IU und 2,75 IU?

Thank you so much for your advice!

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  2. Staci & Ivy

Staci & Ivy Well-Known Member

Hi Heike, sorry Binie is feeling very tired. Sounds very normal after the Surgery.
    Let’s see if we can get some help for dosing information for you. Sending hugs to both of you :bighug::bighug::bighug:
    @Wendy&Neko @tiffmaxee @Bandit's Mom

Heike & BInie likes this.
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

There's been plenty of time since the furshot and reduced dose for the depot to rebuild. What you are seeing is what 2.5 unit dose can do. And since she isn't seeing any numbers in the 90-149 range, much less most of the nadirs, she is due for an increase to 2.75 units.

The 2.75 units did not look too much to me. We reduce, when on SLGS, if kitty goes under 90 on a handheld. You did compare an 80 on the Libre with the Accucheck and got a 113. I suspect the 78 and 84 you got on the Libre were also over 90 if you'd had the chance to double check them too.

It's best not to keep a kitty at a dose too long that is keeping them in high numbers. That permits glucose toxicity to take hold (she gets used to higher numbers) and you'll have to go even higher in dose to get over it. Increase now, and let her tell you with a BG under 90 on a handheld meter if her healing means she needs less insulin.

Heike & BInie and Bella & Puddin like this.
  4. Heike & BInie

Heike & BInie Member

Thank you so much Staci! :bighug::bighug::bighug: Hugs for you and Ivy!

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  5. Heike & BInie

Heike & BInie Member

Thank you so much Wendy! I started with 2,75 IU this morning. I really have to overcome my fear with low numbers. I feed her to early if she is going low on the libre and so I will never find out, if she would have gone below 90 on a handheld or not. But I panic if she drops so hard, especially in the middle of the night with no vet near. But I have to overcome that... Thank you so much for your advice! :bighug::bighug::bighug: I wish I would see more flat curves like the day after her surgery. But her bg is a drama queen... :rolleyes:

Staci & Ivy likes this.