4/14, Suse, 269 AMPS

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Summer and Susie (GA), Apr 14, 2021.

1. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/4-13-susie-not-an-emergency.246100/

I guess she bounced again after the 4/12 pm cycle. By my calculations the bounce will break in cycle 8. I'll be gone all morning tomorrow. Will get her AMPS and a +1 and then I need to leave for about 4 1/2 hours. I'll leave her some food in her auto feeder for +4. I think she will be fine based on how high her numbers have been and what I expect tomorrow morning.

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Susie slides down and surfs today.

Summer and Susie (GA) likes this.
  3. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Hmm. I don't think she's still bouncing.

My two cents about your question yesterday about going back to Vetsulin...
    - I think you need to give Lantus a bit more time. Remember that Lantus' strong suit is keeping lower numbers low, it has a harder time "grabbing" the higher numbers and bringing them down. So it takes a little while - it took us 3 months on a much more aggressive dosing regime
    - I think you're holding onto doses far too long. While I understand comfort level being part of the picture, her numbers are also dancing around the renal threshold as well as glucose toxicity area (in my own opinion, there's nothing out there that says what range/why/how the glucose toxicity happens). So you get a small bit of momentum in the first few cycles, then lose it because I think glucose toxicity fighting you
    - While the nadirs were better on Vetsulin, remember diabetes is more than the nadir. She was dropping hard...I personally think of it like driving on the highway. Cruising along at 70 mph, then all of a sudden slamming on the brakes to 35mph, then revving back up to 70mph. It wears on the car over time.

4. Summer and Susie (GA)

I do want to increase to 2.50 (I think) but I need to get through tomorrow first as I will be gone all morning. I will propose the suggestion to the group tomorrow. Thanks, Melissa. Mr. Kitty has made amazing progress in the last month. What do you attribute that to?

5. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

I, too, was just looking over your spreadsheet and remembering your question from yesterday. To me, I do see that you did get some lower blue numbers when she was on Vetsulin during a few hours of the middle of the cycle... but, you had a lot more fluctuation in her BG, which I don't think is good. Vetsulin produces those swings, which I don't think are good or comfortable for a cat. You can just look at the SS and see how quickly the Vetsulin "wore off." I also see that you are getting (again, in general) better pre-shot numbers in both the a.m. and p.m.

You need more time. I don't think you have found Susie's correct dose yet (for you and for her, because I know you don't want to keep her super low.) Also, if we are operating on the assumption (as the vet is) that she has some sort of an infection that is causing the liver enzyme numbers to be elevated, that also would contribute to keeping her numbers high. I just saw @FrostD 's comment and I agree with what she said.

Come on Susie.

Summer and Susie (GA) and FrostD like this.
  6. Suzanne & Darcy

And yes, I think she's been on her current dose more than enough cycles to try the increase. She's "settled" into that dose by now. I understand about tomorrow, and I think you have an excellent plan and Susie will be very safe -- and happy, too, with the extra food, hopefully :)

Summer and Susie (GA) and FrostD like this.
  7. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I understand, it's like Cherryl has been saying...balancing life and the diabetes is a juggling act some days!

And honestly I wish I knew. I sort of wonder if he developed chronic pancreatitis last year and had a sort of underlying inflammation all along, I believe he had a flare last October but I didn't know that's what it was. Perhaps properly treating it this time kind of zapped him a bit, reduced inflammation and fixed his pancreas a little bit. I also think glucose toxicity; but if it were only glucose toxicity I guess I would have expected us to start reducing dose and we're not.

8. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

9. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thanks, Susanne. I have little planned in the next week (except my second COVID shot late Monday morning, yeaaaa!) so I can really watch her after tomorrow morning when I will be gone from 7:30 until noon. I will propose to the "powers that be" if I can increase her to 2.50. I'm sure I will get total support.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  10. Summer and Susie (GA)

I'm just happy for you and Mr. Kitty. It is always nice to see others make progress with their kitties.

11. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

I hope Susie comes down for you. You've seen some good numbers on this dose, which is nice! :D:cool: I bet she will make more progress too. She might just need some extra juice to get there.

12. Summer and Susie (GA)

Looking forward to an increase of 2.5 after tomorrow when I have to be gone all morning. I don't like the numbers but am afraid I will get what I wish for. I hate the beach visits.

13. Suzanne & Darcy

Blue is good.

Summer and Susie (GA) likes this.
  14. Summer and Susie (GA)

Yes, blue is great just not low blues in the pm. At least not yet. I need to get used to those.