4/13, Susie, Not an Emergency

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Summer and Susie (GA), Apr 13, 2021.

1. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/4-12-susie-275-amps.246057/

My worst nightmare. Susie decides she likes to go to the beach at night. I am one of those who needs my sleep at night because I can't nap during the day. I rarely fall asleep during the day. I am fortunate that I am retired but unfortunate because I have no help.

I will be gone Thursday morning from 7:30 until noon and will leave some extra food for Susie around 10:00 (+4) in my auto feeder. I'm not going to leave as much as I did the last time I had to be gone all morning because it got her BG all our of whack. I am going to have to sleep Wednesday night so will probably leave her a little more food around 10:00 pm (+4).

I am also thinking about cancelling my appointment with the internist on 4/22. Might stick with my current vets plan of the 2 convenia shots, 14 days apart, then the mini chem to check some blood concerns. Also, he feels if I can get her glucose down it might help with the high ALT and other high blood test. Plus, the internist wants $150 just for a consultation and then gosh only knows what additional test would cost. I do not have much money. I survive on SSN and am in debt from my pup Maddie last year and Kali's recent emergency visit. Anyway, I will make a decision on this this week.

Hope everyone has a good day.

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

It's rough when they drop at night. I have to get sleep on the nights I need to work the next day. I just leave extra food out for Furball if she starts dropping. I wish it wasn't so expensive to go to the vet. Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope Susie is feeling better today. :bighug:

Summer and Susie (GA) likes this.
  3. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thank you, Carla. Susie has been feeling very good for many days in a row now. I'm sorry you have to work. It makes all the testing and worrying so much harder.

carfurby (GA) likes this.
  4. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Hi Summer. I'm sorry about the lack of sleep (I had some of that myself last night as well, but I'm pretty good about setting an alarm, getting up to test, and going back to sleep. I would totally understand if you were to postpone the internist visit for now. You can always reschedule if that's what you decide. I'm glad she seems to be feeling well! :)

5. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

You are doing a GREAT job Us Mama Beans have to remember that we need to stay strong and healthy to help our babies:cat::bighug::bighug::bighug:

6. Summer and Susie (GA)

I just read your post today and it had me in tears. I really, really pray that Amethyst will be okay. Even if she loses her eyesight, if you can keep her healthy in all the other ways, she will be okay with your love and care. She is doing very well with the glucose testing. That is one thing to be thankful for. Please keep us informed. We ALL care about your girl and thank you for taking the time to reassure me in this time of your own crisis.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  7. Pamela & Amethyst

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::cat::cat:

8. Summer and Susie (GA)

Okay so I am rethinking the Lantus. This is really frustrating to get some fairly good numbers only to send Susie well over the renal threshold. When I look back at her results on the Vetsulin she was getting better numbers. I am really frustrated with this. She has had a couple of decent nights and then bounces out of the stratosphere. What do you folks say about me going back to Vetsulin or should I try the Levemir?

9. Pamela & Amethyst

Amethyst started on ProZinz,no results,than Lantus,no results, The Lev has worked wonderful for her:cat::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I think you need those proverbial patience pants. Tonight is cycle six after those lovely greens. She’ll like break the bounce tonight or tomorrow. Ultimately, I suspect she will need a bit more Lantus, you have barely been on it a month. Insulin is a hormone, not a drug, their bodies need some time to adjust. I would give it at least another month or two before passing judgement on Lantus.

Did you give a shot last night? The spreadsheet is blank for PMPS,

SashaV likes this.
  11. Cherryl & Mouzer

Cherryl & Mouzer Well-Known Member

I hope you get all worked out for your Susie :)

12. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thanks for the information, Pamela. What is the price difference between the Levemir and the Lantus? I got a really good deal on the Lantus. 5 pens for $100. I still have four pens left.

13. Summer and Susie (GA)

Yes, I gave the shot last night. I just forgot to record it. Okay, I'll put my patients pants on. Thanks, Wendy.

14. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thanks, Cherryl.