4/14 Chnoudi- Health Update

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Melita & Chnoudi, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Melita & Chnoudi

Melita & Chnoudi Member

Helloooo to the wonderful team!! :):bighug::)

It's been a long time I haven't posted - since Chnoudi's OTJ party in January, but I pop in regularly to see the progress of all the kitties here! I hope you are all fine!! :)
    Chnoudi is very good, I test her once a week now and her numbers are perfect!

However, the reason I decided to post again is to share with you some recent news about her general health. Unfortunately, I've noticed that the last days her back legs are weak and her left leg limps . Today this limp is quite intense.
    I was wondering if this is related to diabetic neuropathy , although I know that this happens especially in cats with hyperglycemia- that are not regulated. I will call the vet tomorrow - (I don't want to talk to vets at all, but anyway..:p:blackeye:)
    Maybe it's related to diabetes, maybe it's something else...
    I would like to hear from you, if you have faced something like this..

Thank you so much !!:cat:

Christina & Kitty Cat likes this.
  2. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hope you get the answers that you need from this group. I would be worried too but I am a "newbie" so cannot comment. Prayers for you Chnoudi and let us know what you find. Maybe we can get some eyes on your post. @Bandit's Mom.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    Melita & Chnoudi likes this.
  3. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Hi Melita! So nice to hear from you and glad to know that pretty Chnoudi is still in the greens!

From what I understand diabetic neuropathy is a result of prolonged hyperglycemia. However, usually the administration of methylcobalamin (vitamin B12) will help a lot with it. It could also be that she sprained her leg or she might have arthritis. My other cat Olive was given Onsior, an anti-inflammatory drug that cats take for 3 days, to help with a limp that she had and she seems to be fine now, running and jumping everywhere all the time.

Hope this helps!

:bighug::bighug:

4. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

Hi Melita! Nice to hear from you!
    With Chnoudi's bloog glucose controlled I would think it is unlikely that this is due to diabetes? Chnoudi is also not very old for arthritis ( but them I don't think I am very old, and I do have it...:p;))
    Does she go out? Could she have gotten hurt somesow? If not, I would think a trip to the vet is definetely a good idea...
    Hope is nothing!

5. Melita & Chnoudi

Melita & Chnoudi Member

Hello from us!!!! :bighug:

@PerfumedCatMom and @Hercule's mum you are so to the point!! :kiss:
    Vet Update :bookworm::bookworm: :
    He gave her an x-ray, which did not show any problem with her bones. However, there is a suspicion of arthritis at a very early stage (definitely, Karen, you and Chnoudi are soo young for this!!! :cat:). What's more, he noticed that Chnoudi has severe pain in the right thigh, which indicates a muscular problem.
    He suggested that I give her Onsior but it is impossible for me to give her a pill so he gave her an injection of a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (I cannot remember his name). He told me to give her three more injections at home, but I was afraid they might affect her BG and I refused. He could not assure me of anything, so we stayed on this one injection. I hope her blood sugar does not rise with it!! :nailbiting:
    The limp remains.. Maybe I should try to give her B12, it seems a good idea..!!
    I'm so afraid with all the medicines, I don't want diabetes to be triggered. o_O If nothing helps I will try to give Onsior.

Let's see.. :):)

6. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

I am sorry to hear she is in pain. I understand your concern about medications rising BG, but being in pain is not good for her quality of life. If you don't see any impact of the first injection on BG it might be worth giving her more if it is for pain? B12 also sound worth a try.
    If it came in all of a sudden maybe it is just an injury and will go away with time?
    Hope she improves soon!

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  7. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

The B12 can’t hurt and you can get it easily in a capsule. I give a 500 mcg capsule to Olive, ½ in AM and ½ in PM. If her body doesn’t utilize the B12 it comes out in the urine.

There are many others with more experience in arthritis and muscular issues here. I hope they will also chime in!