4/13 Ruby AMPS 103/+2 92/+4 85/PMPS 114/+2 131

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Katherine&Ruby, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Yesterday on Ruby's Guide to the Galaxy. :cat:
    This morning we had a blue AMPS, followed by...(drumroll)... upload_2021-4-13_8-11-58.png

I am happy Ruby is becoming more regular with her BMs as I'm sure she feels so much better, but I am thinking that I might try the PM+9 snack again if we get another blue number tomorrow morning. I've gotten some conflicting advice about this in the past. @Marje and Gracie, you didn't seem to think the snack was needed until Ruby got to a drop dose, but it's different now because we got to .1 after two reductions from 7 days in greens rather than the drop below 50 from .25 units in January. She gets many fewer blue AMPS numbers now than she did then. Any advice on this would be very much appreciated!

Healing thoughts for all of the sick kitties and hugs to you beans. Happy Tuesday! :bighug::bighug:

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Yay for poop. I hope Ruby surfs safely today.

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  3. Margaret (and Pearl)

Margaret (and Pearl) Well-Known Member

Good morning! So question about the +9 snack? What's it for? Sometimes I wonder if Pearl NOT eating between PM +6 and my AMPS screws her up and her AMPS BG is actually higher than it would be had she had a nice little snack later in her PM cycle. Is this what you're referring to?

Hooray for good numbers and poops for Ruby!

4. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Katherine, just a little warning, in case you try the PMPS +9 snack. The idea was good, as I believe it lowered the AMPS. However for many weeks after OTJ, Tina insisted I wake up at 3AM to feed her timely snack! Of course not a problem with an auto feeder, except that I have a dog and other cats and wouldn't lock Tina up at night alone with the feeder. I hope you are set up well! I don't see any harm in trying the +9 (I fed at +8 and it worked) to see if it lowers the AMPS. Let's see if Marje agrees with the idea for Ruby now.

You are looking awesome Ruby girl! We know how important poop is BTW! Tina was impacted back in August, and she is still moving nicely, thanks to SEB and fish oil, and miralax. I don't feel great about Miralax forever though.

@Margaret (and Pearl) The idea of the +9 snack is to test that the pancreas is in fact working decently, and releases insulin to cover the snack. My interpretation, but I'm always open for a better explanation!
    It is only suggested when at a "tiny" dose.

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

The +9 brings down the bg about three hours later if the pancreas is working.

6. Katherine&Ruby

We've always been told not to feed Lantus kitties after +6 because that puts the brakes on the duration of the insulin as it is waning. The exception is a +9 snack when the kitty is on very small doses because it does what @Tina Marie and Jan says: it nudges the pancreas to produce insulin to cover the snack. So my question to Marje is "how small?" She says drop dose but others have advised that I can do it on Ruby's current dose of .1 unit.

There have been many times when Ruby has refused to eat her AM+6 meal and puts it off until +8 or +9 and her evening preshot always goes a little lower like yesterday. So the no food after +6 is an ECID sort of thing. I would give it a try and see if it works well for Pearl.

Ha! If I do do it, it would only be for a few weeks. Ruby is good about knowing when I am willing to be woken up by her.
    I am so very afraid of having to take Ruby to the vet because of impaction or needing an enema. Her constipation got worse when I started feeding her raw food that doesn't have all of the fillers in commercial foods that would move things along. I was using Miralax for a while, but you saw in my condo with Summer yesterday why I've moved away from it and decided to stick to more natural remedies. Fish oil is the one thing I have not tried yet but so far things seem to be going ok, paws crossed!

7. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Katherine, I'm happy to see the 2 poops Ruby gave you
    She's looking great. Good luck with the +9 feeding , I hope she will have more green AMPS. Have a good day ♥:bighug::bighug::bighug:

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

[​IMG]

For Ruby lol

Katherine&Ruby and JOJI and Kit like this.
  9. Katherine&Ruby

Hahaha! Diane, you’re The Best! :joyful:

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  10. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Looks like all of your hard work in the poop department has paid off! And you're being rewarded with...poop. Excellent.:cat:
    Keep it green, Ruby! :D

11. Katherine&Ruby

Don't get me wrong, I'm THRILLED at poop. :rolleyes: I only wish it did not go counter to my concurrent wish for all greens. We shall see how the next few days go.

Butters & Lyla likes this.
  12. JOJI and Kit

JOJI and Kit Well-Known Member

before kit finishes her memo for feline web posting, just want to confirm. the chant is for green poop ? ;)
    kitties can be so literal ...
    have a great day.

13. Katherine&Ruby

Cuuute. :p Now I've got an image of Kit sitting crosslegged on her bialy, paws resting gently on her knees.:smuggrin:

JOJI and Kit likes this.
  14. Katherine&Ruby

PMPS = 114. :(

15. JOJI and Kit

:bighug:
    pm bm on the horizon ?
    sixth cycle after skip?
    waxing crescent 2% illumination ?
    :bighug:

16. Katherine&Ruby

^This seems like the most likely explanation. Either that or: this afternoon I was packing up a box of food to donate to a local rescue and some kibbles fell out of an open bag and she scavenged some off the floor before I could clean it. :banghead:

I'm having my medical thing tomorrow afternoon so tomorrow PM shot will be skipped. I will increase back to .25 units on Thursday morning. She did really well on that dose.

JOJI and Kit likes this.
  17. JOJI and Kit

sending good thoughts for your medical.
    and for #greenpoop

18. Katherine&Ruby

Thanks for the smiles, jw. I need that right now. :)

JOJI and Kit likes this.
  19. Diane Tyler's Mom

All the best for your medical procedure tomorrow ♥♥:bighug::bighug:

20. Katherine&Ruby

21. Katherine&Ruby

I don't really understand what is going on. Either that kibble is still in her system or Ruby really needs to go up in dose and I can't do that right now. :banghead:

22. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I’d give it a try at 0.1u. ECID and it might work for her. Just remember...a small amount of a LC snack. Good luck and glad you saw poop!

23. Marina & Chico

Marina & Chico Well-Known Member

I’m so sorry for that 131 at +2, it can be very frustrating :( :bighug:

24. Katherine&Ruby

Thank you, Marina. I thought we had turned a corner but perhaps this is a temporary stumbling block. Ruby seems totally happy otherwise. She spent the evening sleeping on my lap on the sofa. Have a good day, Marina.

25. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

I'll be thinking good thoughts for your medical procedure. And for Ruby too... sweet girl loves you.

26. Marina & Chico

Marina & Chico Well-Known Member

Don’t get disappointed by a single number, Ruby turned a corner no matter what, she is doing amazingly otherwise with almost all green preshots. Maybe this 131 was a faulty read, did u retest it?
    Just a few days ago Denis read a 126 at +2, it was immediately after the last reduction and we were overly sensitive to any blue values so he retested and it turned to be a 95 or smth like that. It didn’t change anything else except calmed us down :D