4/13 Phoenix + 10 62

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Scdal, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Scdal

Scdal Member

I just gave Phoenix a small amount of honey on a piece of chicken gizzard. When I went to bed last night at +4, Phoenix's BG was 259, I checked his BG at +9 and it was 84. I fed him a large ground turkey meatball and checked his BG again in 30 minutes. It had gone up to 89. I checked again 30 minutes later at +10. Phoenix's BG was 62. I gave him a piece of chicken gizzard with a large blob of honey on it. This is scaring me that he dropped over 20 points after eating.

He usually continues to drop until his next injection. I am going to check his BG again in 10 minutes. Any advice would be appreciated.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Susan, so the last thing Phoenix ate was that piece of chicken gizzard with honey at +10? And he was 125 an hour after that? And it is now 2 hours since the food+honey?

Can you monitor if you shoot? Where is he at AMPS?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  3. Scdal

Scdal Member

@Bandit's Mom I just checked him again at +11. Phoenix's BG is now 125. I will still check again in 30 minutes. I think I may reduce his dose this morning from 10 units to 9.75. I don't want to reduce too much as he goes high rather quickly.

4. Scdal

Scdal Member

5. Bandit's Mom

Check at AMPS (an hour after the +11) so that you get a number 2 hours after the last meal. In fact, I would get one more test at +12.5 and confirm that he is staying up 2.5 hours after the last meal and then shoot.

The half an hour delay in shooting will not delay your PM shot.

6. Scdal

Scdal Member

No, it has only been 2 hours since the food but only 1 hour since I fed him the honey. It is still 45 minutes until his AMPS.
    I agree, I am going to delay his shot by 30 minutes. It is now +11.5 and he is at 138. This is still because of the honey. Thank you, Bhooma.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  7. Scdal

Scdal Member

Phoenix is now at 130 at + 12.5. I am going to give a late AMPS in 15 minutes. This will actually be 45 minutes late but I want to make sure the honey has completely been over 2 hours.

8. Bandit's Mom

Susan, hasn't it been 2.5 hours since the honey already? I think it's safe to shoot.

9. Scdal

Scdal Member

Sorry to not responding until now. I was just about to retest and give Phoenix his insulin when I saw him running around and looking out the back door. There was a pack of dogs loose on my pond and chasing my ducks. There was a German shepherd, a pit bull, a great Pyrenees and another big black dog. I went flying out the door to chase them
    I chased them all over 3 acres of my property. These darn things couldn't find the hole they had dug to get back out.

I finally gave up and came in to give Phoenix his AMPS. It was 126. I gave him 9.75 units. So now, he is almost an hour off schedule.

The dogs finally found there way back out. All of my neighbor's property is acreage and fenced. I don't know why they think they have the right to let their dogs run free and destroy neighbor's fences and kill their animals. Being out in the country, there is no leash law. We are allowed to shoot the dogs but I will not. My only option is to open a gate and lure them in and close the gate behind them. Then, animal control can pick them up.

It has been quite an eventful morning. I hope the rest of the day is a little less stressful. Sorry for the rant !