4/12 Ruby AMPS 108/+3 88/+6 88/PMPS 81/+2 90/+4 80

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Katherine&Ruby, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Yesterday on Come On Ruby. :cat:

Not sure where this blue came from, but not worrying about it unless it becomes a trend. Otherwise, Ruby's been great: sleeping, eating, cuddling, and averaging about one mad stampede through the apartment with Olive per day.

Healing thoughts for all of the sick kitties and hugs to you beans. Have a good start to your week, everyone. :bighug::bighug:

KittenTheCat and JOJI and Kit like this.
  2. Katherine&Ruby

Somebody just Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 8.21.52 AM.png . That explains the blue. :p

3. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

Such a nice, low blue though. What is the icon? "Somebody just ?" Is this a joke that I missed.

4. Katherine&Ruby

I inserted a poop emoji there. :) I can see it on my computer but maybe it doesn't show up on other devices.

Summer and Susie (GA) likes this.
  5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Ruby is doing well. Yay for poop! I can see the icon.

6. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Since the blue is due to poop, then I think we should continue to say Ruby is all green at this dose:D. Keep it going!!

7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

It’s still within normal range and if you squint it’s green.

8. Summer and Susie (GA)

I didn't know that was a poop icon. Funny, pooping raises her glucose? Funny comments from everyone here.

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  9. Summer and Susie (GA)

I could see the icon I just couldn't tell what is was.

10. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Well... at least it was a low blue. Come on, Ruby, your mama doesn't like blue... but she does like poop!

11. Katherine&Ruby

Some members here are very familiar my Ruby's struggle with constipation. :oops: Sometimes she goes for so long without a bowel movement that it makes me very concerned, so I ask everyone to pray for poops. :p When it does happen we celebrate like it's new year's eve: flashing lights, confetti, noisemakers, 80s music. :) I started recording Ruby's bowel movements on her spreadsheet because often they are so taxing on her body that it causes a spike in her glucose levels when she decides to go in the morning. A few weeks ago I started Ruby on a regimen of digestive enzymes, pre- and probiotics and a rotation of different fiber supplements to help with the constipation and it seems to be working as her BG spikes are not quite as high as I've seen in the past and her poops have come more regularly.

Summer and Susie (GA) likes this.
  12. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thanks for the explanation. Like with any of us constipation is so uncomfortable. I noticed that Lyla uses pumpkin for Butters when she is constipated. Might that also work for Ruby?

13. Katherine&Ruby

I rotate three different kinds of fiber in Ruby's diet at the moment: powdered pumpkin, slippery elm bark powder, and psyllium husk. I figure that including fiber from different sources will provide her with a more well rounded diet, as the prey that a cat would hunt and eat in the wild would also be eating different kinds of leaves, grasses and seeds.

14. Summer and Susie (GA)

It might be unwise and unacceptable for me to ask this but "What does your vet say" for constipation?

15. Katherine&Ruby

Not unwise or unacceptable at all! Sadly, he didn't have much to say about it actually. He suggested Miralax and I did use that, but after all of the research I've done on feline nutrition and particularly cats who suffer from IBD (which her doctors suspect she has but we haven't done a biopsy to confirm yet), these natural sources of fiber I am giving her are better for her because they contain vitamins and minerals that have more gut soothing properties than Miralax because they address the inflammation that may be causing the constipation rather than just bulk up her stool to increase motility. It's basically trying to get at the root of the problem rather than just treating symptoms. I've learned a lot from studying the Raw Feeding for IBD kitties website, which I think has valuable feline nutrition information that can benefit all kitties, not just ones who have IBD.

My vet also wanted me to put her on steroids for the IBD but I want to avoid that as long as possible because that might knock her out of tight regulation. Then her internal medicine doctors suggested we treat it with diet first to see if that helped. Between Ruby's possible IBD and confirmed stage 2 CKD diagnoses, I was prompted to explore raw feeding supplemented with probiotics and fiber. So far her kidney values are stable and we will have to see what her next ultrasound tells us about her IBD, but Ruby seems to be happier and healthier than ever and she loves her raw meats!

16. JOJI and Kit

JOJI and Kit Well-Known Member

ok. well. that might be taking it a bit off the rails ...
    but yes, kit got dressed up today.
    upload_2021-4-12_22-29-56.png
    congrats, ruby

17. Katherine&Ruby

A good time was had by all. ;)

JOJI and Kit likes this.
  18. Summer and Susie (GA)

I can tell you have done your research. Thanks for the info.