3/7 AMPS: 183! We shot low today!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by TankNRK, Mar 7, 2023.

1. TankNRK

TankNRK Member

Previous Post:
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...-a-night-should-i-reduce.274938/#post-3051680

Alright so I'm ready to start transitioning to TR. Lando's at 183 and I'm going to stall for 15 minutes. I'm off work today and can monitor!

I think a reduced dose is likely today as we had a fiasco the other night from giving a full 1.5u at 218 hovered him BARELY over hypo. I'll update shortly what the 15 minute stall is.

2. TankNRK

TankNRK Member

15min stall 180. Can't stall too long since we have daylight savings upon us! I can stall one more 15 minute segment.
    I'll be home to monitor today aside from a few short errands I need to run down the street.

3. TankNRK

TankNRK Member

30 minute stall is 168

4. TankNRK

TankNRK Member

Can't stall any longer, feeding and trying to make a decision

Angela & Cleo likes this.
  5. TankNRK

TankNRK Member

I'm thinking 1 unit to be safe, I think 1.25 could get a little dicey with so little data at lower numbers

6. Angela & Cleo

Angela & Cleo Well-Known Member

Sorry no one got back to you sooner. If you can monitor and have testing supplies and a hypo kit, I would shoot. Keep kitty hungry. And test at +1 +2.

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Lando is dropping because he needs food to eat.
    You gave 1.5 U on 3/22
    It is up to you. Are you doing SLGS or TR.?
    I cant stay up with you because I am in Australia and it is getting late at night.

8. TankNRK

TankNRK Member

Shoot the full dose?? Oh gawtt I'm nervous I want to give a reduced dose but it's out of fear.
    I'm trying to transition to TR!
    No need to stay up here in the US it's early EARLY morning and I'm sure I can find help if I need it

9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Whatever you shoot you will have to monitor as the depot from the previous dose influences this cycle for at least the first half of the cycle.
    As Angela said, you will need to get a+1 and +2 if you shoot the full dose...I would get those tests what ever you shoot.

TankNRK likes this.
  10. TankNRK

TankNRK Member

I'll be here to do so. I'm scared to shoot 1.5 and might feel better at 1.25 but I want to do what's right for Lando and not to keep me feeling safe.

11. TankNRK

TankNRK Member

Alright 1.5 it is. It's time to decide and I'll be here. We're going for it!

12. Bron and Sheba (GA)

It is always scary the first few times to shoot lower numbers.
    Remember if you are testing, you are in charge and can intervene with food at any time.
    DO you have high carb food and honey or karo?

TankNRK likes this.
  13. TankNRK

TankNRK Member

Alright, we shot 1.5!
    I have low carb, medium carb, high carb, and syrup! I have 2 bottles of testing strips (I was gonna run to the store today to grab more actually, maybe I still can)
    I want to switch to TR and I'm ready to start making these decisions. Lando's obviously ready too. Here we go!!

14. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Great choice! You will be fine. Sorry I can't stay up.
    Get that +1 and +2 so you don't get any nasty surprises at +3
    If the BGs drop into mid/lower greens just test each half hour until nadir.
    Post and ask for help if you are concerned. But I'm sure you will be fine:)

TankNRK and Angela & Cleo like this.
  15. TankNRK

TankNRK Member

Thank you, enjoy your rest! I'll be sure to check those times, still aren't sure when nadir is so we'll just run through a bottle of strips no biggie lol!

16. Angela & Cleo

Angela & Cleo Well-Known Member

I'm not as experienced as some but I have been doing this awhile. I will be around to check in on you :bighug:

Bron and Sheba (GA) and TankNRK like this.
  17. TankNRK

TankNRK Member

I trust you and I know that between us all together Lando is in good hands :)
    It's really early for my side of the world so as the hours go on I'm sure I'll have more people who can pop in as well if you gotta scoot off! I'll remember to update the thread throughout the day! The only thing I really have to do today is run to the UPS store down the street and drop something off so hopefully Lando doesn't throw me for any loops when I need to go do that haha!

18. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

It's good you shot. Soon you will be shooting lower and lower preshots with confidence. :)

If you can monitor, there is no need to stall - especially at a comfortable number like 183 - which is not very different from 218 which you shot the other night. This morning he was pretty much flat since last night. And 183, 180 and 168 are pretty much the same number given meter variance. Like Bron said, stalling without food can sometimes cause the numbers to drop further - making the shooting decision even more difficult.

Test every hour and feed a tsp of food after every test. That will help reduce any dives.

Angela & Cleo and TankNRK like this.
  19. TankNRK

TankNRK Member

You got it! I'm glad I shot too, I was kind of scared as it's been a rough couple days with Lando, but I opted to put on my big kid pants and say, "Let's do it Lando!" Now I know for next time. I guess if I had to work today I would have been more conservative with the shot and maybe have done 1u. Now that I'm home all day though and can test a lot I can gather some amazing data for the future. I may not be lucky enough next time to be home to monitor!

20. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Good job shooting. It does get easier as you go along. :bighug:

TankNRK likes this.
  21. TankNRK

TankNRK Member

So far he's sitting pretty flat today! He did rise after eating but not by much, sitting nice and tight low 200s. I gave one little bite at +2 so he rose a tad but so far so good, my sweet boy! I'm glad I took the plunge today. If it's a work day though I know now there really isn't time to stall past 15 and I need to be conservative.
    But on a day like today we can be a little more brave ;) thanks for the encouragement everyone!

22. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Looks like he is headed up slowly in a bounce from last night's blues. You can take a break from tests. :)

Btw, please update the title with today's numbers and take off the bit about stalling? Thanks!

TankNRK likes this.
  23. TankNRK

TankNRK Member

Sure thing!

And that's kind of a relief but I do wish I could have gathered that data at least it's a simple flat bounce and not a HIGH bounce! Good thing I shot the full dose today!

24. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Happy you shot the full dose :cat:
    Don't forget to add when you switched to TR on your signature
    Can you put a line above the date your switched to TR on your SS also just like you did when you started Lantus and highlighted it in blue so members know :cat:
    @TankNRK

TankNRK likes this.
  25. cecile & bella

cecile & bella Well-Known Member

yay! I am glad you shot the full dose. He seems to be doing well for now.

Diane Tyler's Mom and TankNRK like this.
  26. Karen and Chispa

Karen and Chispa Well-Known Member

Congrats on shooting low! It's scary at first, but it does get easier. :bighug::cat:

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  27. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

One thing to consider, a stall can act a bit like a reduction. So it's not really necessary to both stall and shoot a reduced dose. I'm glad you shot the full dose. Vetsulin brain was probably talking to you this morning. ;) Lantus is a whole different way of thinking.

28. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

@TankNRK
    Hi Tank on your SS where you wrote TR Dosing Today anyway you can write that in black only because it's hard to see :cat:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
  29. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Looks like all went well for you and Lando:)