3/31 Ruby AMPS 104/+3 69/+5 81/+7 66/+10 88/PMPS 101/+2 57/+4 77

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Katherine&Ruby, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Yesterday on Ruby Takes Manhattan. :cat:

I didn't get more than a +2 test last night for the first time in recent memory because I was not feeling well from the 2nd dose of the vaccine and went to bed early. Thankfully Ruby gave me a higher +2 and I felt ok with leaving her with a bowl of yummy beef to tide her over for the night. Have to start training DBF to test. Don't know why I have trouble relinquishing the responsibility.

After much deliberation and handwringing yesterday over dosing, this morning we begin a reduced dose of .25 units at Wendy's urging. Hope this time at .25 will be better than the last. ✌️ ⛱️

Healing thoughts for all of the sick kitties, for @Liz & Minnie in particular. Have a great Wednesday everyone.
    :bighug::bighug:

2. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Exciting!! Best of luck with the reduction.
    I hope you feel better today.:bighug:

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  3. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

I hope the ill effects of the vaccine will be short-lived and you'll be back in fine testing form very soon!

4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Ruby keeps surfing on the new dose. I hope you feel better soon. Sending prayers. :bighug:

5. Margaret (and Pearl)

Margaret (and Pearl) Well-Known Member

Hope you feel better soon, Katherine. Ruby still looks fan-tabulous! Have a good day!

6. Katherine&Ruby

Butters & Lyla and JOJI and Kit like this.
  7. Katherine&Ruby

Sad day today. :( And Ruby's numbers have been all over the place. @Butters & Lyla, I'm starting to wonder if beef is leading to higher BGs with Ruby too! It's a shame because I have four more pounds of it in the freezer. It was sent to me by mistake by the seller instead of the bison I ordered so I was refunded for the money, but I still hate seeing food go to waste...

8. Margaret (and Pearl)

Poor sweet little boy. I am numb I am in shock.

Pearl reacts to fishes - mackerel, sardines, etc. Her BG goes high whenever I give fish (even if it's the Orijen Tundra treats that list Mackerel as the LAST ingredient), so I definitely think a food could be related to Ruby's BG.

9. Katherine&Ruby

It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me that other kinds of muscle meat that in theory have nearly zero carbs don't raise her BGs but beef does. Perhaps it's because it's higher in fat than the other much leaner meats I've been feeding her like turkey, bison, and venison?

10. Margaret (and Pearl)

Maybe it has to do with the chemical composition of the protein, or an enzyme in the meat. Or it could also be part of the IBD. For Pearl, she has inflammatory response to fish (too much equals diarrhea). Beef is a food that many cats with IBD react to, while they do not react to venison or bison. Pearl does not react (even though she has IBD).

11. Katherine&Ruby

Interesting. I did not think of it from an inflammation perspective. Ruby hasn't gotten sick from it like she has from chicken, and in fact she loves to eat it, but it could be something more subtle. Thank you.

Margaret (and Pearl) likes this.
  12. Margaret (and Pearl)

I gave Pearl treats with mackerel today. Look at her BG now!

13. Katherine&Ruby

These kitties and their sensitive little bodies! We can only do our best. Sigh.

14. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Reducie is looking good tonight. :D

Thanks for the link to the pet bed.

15. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

So strange. When did you first notice that? I read all about how the woman who created TC Feline, one of the premixes, feeds a lot of beef to all of her kitties and they all do well on it, and I thought for sure it would be the right thing for Butters, but she had other ideas! Seems Ruby does, too. Our kitties continue to want the fancy meats like bison.
    Can you call around or message local cat rescues/shelters on IG and see if they'll take a donation of frozen raw food?