3/20 Cleo AMPS 311, +4 274, +6.5 178, PMPS 267, +2 313, +4 288

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Angela & Cleo, Mar 20, 2022.

1. Angela & Cleo

Angela & Cleo Well-Known Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/3-19-cleo-pmps-2-75-272.260904/
    Good Morning All!
    Two days in a row that AMPS in the 300 range even accounting for meter variance. Not celebrating yet but we're optimistically hopeful that she is getting used to slightly lower numbers.
    Vet visit is tomorrow at 5:30PM EST for follow up and Libre implantation. Per his instructions, we're supposed to give Cleo a dose of 2ml Gabapentin tonight and another dose 2 hours before tomorrow's visit. Wondering if the gaba will affect her BG #s tonight. Perhaps a reduced dose of gaba???
    Also, narrowed down the food choices for switch to lower carbs and better quality food for her. Now to find where to buy - but in smaller single portions not cases like from Chewy.
    Enjoy your Sunday!

Lee Renfro and FrostD like this.
  2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Is she feisty at the vet? Hence the gaba?

Most of us use gaba no issue with BG but it makes them very loopy. Has she had it before? That dose seems large I'll shove to look it up

3. Angela & Cleo

The Vet and technicians have called her "feisty" "angry" "unhappy" "violent" and my favorite - "spicy". She did take it earlier this month before the vet visit. We gave her less than the 2ml and admin'd 2 hours before the visit. Its liquid gaba and mixed it with the food at one of her snacks. She was still agitated at the Vet, hissing, growling etc, but less so. The effects of the loopiness wore off after 5 hours from giving it to her. By the time we got home from the Vet she was walking, talking, meowing, etc like she hadn't taken anything.

FrostD likes this.
  4. Angela & Cleo

We're at +6.5 and she has a blue!! Not going to be home until PMPS so going to leave out some food.

5. Angela & Cleo

PMPS 267 is lowest ps # on 1.75U. Referred to ProZinc protocol
    How to handle a lower than normal preshot number when following SLGS:
    • Above 200 (11.1 mmol/L) but below the cat's normal pre-shot value, a reduced dose might be wise.
    Reduced the dose to 1.25U and delayed giving the gaba until maybe +3 or even +6.

FrostD likes this.
  6. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Safe thing to do. I'd have said shoot full dose.if you'd be able to monitor, but all data is good data ;)

Angela & Cleo likes this.
  7. Angela & Cleo

Thanks. I was going to do full dose...i really really wanted to, but I am not confident in being able to monitor tonight past +4. Thanks for watching over me!!!

ETA +4 was 288. I gave her 1.25ml of gaba. I'm setting alarm for a +6 or +7 but not too confident that I'll wake up - very very sleepy this evening and fighting a headache myself. Have a great night!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
    FrostD likes this.
  8. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I think you're good to get some sleep, I don't see any dangerous lows in the crystal ball tonight. A flat number at +3/+4 on ProZinc usually means a slow/boring cycle...and you'll probably only ever see it with the temp reductions lol