2/27 Darcy PMPS 365, +2 325, +3.5 353

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Suzanne & Darcy, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

We will see in an hour of so what direction we are headed. I gave 23 L and 3.5 R both this morning and evening. My main problem right now is that I am going to run out of insulin. I just looked carefully at this pen this morning and I noticed it was getting really low. By the time I called the pharmacy to get a refill, they were closing in 20 minutes and I couldn't get there in time. They will fill it, but it will be Monday. So now I have no idea how to handle this situation. The pen (I am looking at it right now) has a little over 20 units left. It is possible that it even has his regular 23 units left (or close to it) but that is only enough for Sunday morning.... leaving nothing for tomorrow night or Monday morning. The pharmacy doesn't open until 8:30 a.m. (EST) on Monday morning, which is already 2.5 hours past Darcy's morning shot time. So everything is going to be a big muddle... his depot is going to drain off no matter what I do. What should I do?
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/2-26-darcy-pmps-365-3-366-4-417-good-night.243773/

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  2. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Oh gosh. I don’t know what you can do. I’m so sorry that you’re in this situation. :bighug:
    The only thing I can think to mention is to ask whether you can shoot off schedule after getting the insulin on Monday and work your way back to Mr. Darcy’s regular shot time? Then he’d theoretically only miss one dose. Just a thought.

3. Suzanne & Darcy

Yes. Thank you. Good idea. We will have to work our way back! Hopefully I can supplement with R a little bit. It’s my fault, but it’s hard for me to fathom how quickly we go through a pen at 23 units BID. I hope your Butters is better today!

Butters & Lyla likes this.
  4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Maybe do 2 - 18 hours cycles? That'll cover 36 hours, but does mean odd shot times possible. The other thing is to not worry about it cause he's on such a large depot and handle it with some extra R. Regardless, I would have gone with 4 units of R.

5. Suzanne & Darcy

Hes. I was thinking of going with 4 R tonight but I hesitated to do it without your suggestion.

6. Suzanne & Darcy

Okay so if I give some R at the usual shot time tomorrow morning and then give him the Lantus injection six hours later?

7. Suzanne & Darcy

If I do that, I Still don’t have enough insulin for a shot tomorrow evening, I don’t think.

8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Good instincts, time to start taking off the training wheels. Basically you want to make sure the drops are less than 100 points. He's still got a while to go, so that's why I was thinking you could go up a full unit.
    Yes. Depending where he is six hours later, you could give L and R together. You wouldn't shoot Lantus tomorrow night, but rather 18 hours after the previous shot so Monday AM. Plus or minus depending when you can get insulin Monday morning. You could still give R tomorrow night.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.