2/23 Fortune PMPS 405 +2 HI :(

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by RachelG, Feb 23, 2021.

1. RachelG

RachelG Member

Yesterday

Surgeon called this morning that the biopsy finally came back. It is unfortunately what they thought - hemangiosarcoma. The good news it the liver biopsy was normal. However, we are waiting to see what the recommendation is for chemo at our oncology visit on Thursday. It does have a high metastatic rate, so we are hoping like hell that we get effective treatment in time.

Fortune has been grooming a little bit, but still walking around with dried food on his nose.

Hoping we can get his BG better under control to help him feel better soon before the new chemo starts!

I forgot to mention that the internist dosed down his prednisolone, so hopefully that is one less hurdle to insulin resistance...

2. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

J.J. and Phoebe Squeak Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear this news! Years ago I had a kitty with hemangiosarcoma. I'm sure treatments have changed since then, and she had no other health issues, but I wanted you to know that chemo worked for her. Kitties don't throw up after chemo like humans do and they don't lose their fur but they can lose their whiskers. Other than not loving the trips to the vet (and probably missing her whiskers) she really didn't suffer during the treatment.
    Wishing you all the best and sending support & healing vines.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

3. RachelG

RachelG Member

Omigosh that’s really reassuring! I have no idea how much time we have with Fortune, but I am working really hard to try and make him feel as well as he can. We are frequently told he has “a lot going on,” but honestly the diabetes and the hemangiosarcoma are causing the biggest issues right now.

Thank you for sharing your experience!

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Darn it. We knew it was likely but still was hoping it wasn’t so. My cancer kitty did well with chemo too. Her protocol was mixed so each week was different at first. It actually made her feel better. A few of them caused a little nausea but ondansetron took care of it and she felt a lot better while on chemo. It’s not like it is with humans. The goal is remission. It’s kind of like tight control with fd vs OTJ. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Suzanne & Darcy and RachelG like this.
  5. RachelG

RachelG Member

Thank you, that’s good to hear! We want him to feel well! Hopefully we can have the chemo done a bit closer to home since the hospital in South Jersey is so far for him (he has peed in the carrier twice :().

Fortune did really well with chemo for his SCL, and it is still in remission as of 2/10/21, over three years after diagnosis, I just don’t know if this is as treatable. The doctors have called it aggressive with a high metastatic rate...but we are going to keep hoping!

Now if we can get his FD in check... :blackeye:

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  6. tiffmaxee

From the little I read after the possible diagnosis chemo does work after surgery. It likely will be injections and infusion Im guessing as opposed to pills like with scl.

RachelG likes this.
  7. RachelG

RachelG Member

Yup! We were told tentatively (pre-surgery, discussing prognosis) that it may be a protocol that is every three weeks by infusion. I’ll know more after Thursday, just a mess of nerves!

Tomorrow is Marty’s turn for the vet, just a well visit to establish care and I was reviewing his old labs. I was concerned he has something going on and sure enough his BG was a bit elevated. Last time he was checked was 8/2020 so we are hoping it’s just me being a worrywart!

8. tiffmaxee

Stress can elevate the bg at the vet. Have you ever tested Marty at home, 3-4 hours after eating?

9. RachelG

RachelG Member

I haven't (yet). He is a lot harder to handle than Fortune - still need to clip his claws ahead of the visit! But I have been looking for an opportune moment. Maybe today...

What should it be in a non-diabetic cats? 60-100?

10. tiffmaxee

Yes. I actually diagnosed Max. He had been urinating and drinking more and at first I thought his kidneys were starting to be an issue. But he had pancreatitis for a few years and several on the board had become diabetic so I tested his urine and it registered he had glucose in it. I was at the vet the next day and he was on insulin the following day.

If under 120 I would not think FD.

RachelG likes this.
  11. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear the need, I pray that the chemo will work , Fortune is so lucky to have you and your husband for never giving up in him.
    He's a fighter and hopefully with the chemo he will go into remission.
    Praying for the best. ♥:bighug::bighug:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    RachelG likes this.
  12. RachelG

RachelG Member

He is over 600 again :banghead:

Every time this happens, we hold our breath because he stays high when he has an episode. I know it’s because of the stress but it’s also been an indicator for us that something is wrong.

13. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sorry about the diagnosis. I hope you can get an effective treatment plan. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug:

RachelG likes this.
  14. RachelG

RachelG Member

He did something he has not done in a long time! He woke up from his name and meowed at me to let him downstairs!

We have been bringing him down in the evenings, but he isn’t allowed to jump or use stairs so we have been carrying him.

He tried to jump out of my arms and made a beeline for Marty’s food bowl - which is his normal behavior lol. Now he is resting with his head down on my lap, eyes open.

Just so worried about this kitty, especially with the HI reading, and extra grateful for these moments of normalcy and mischief.

15. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Prayers for effective treatment and peace to you and your hubby :bighug: So nice to hear Fortune having a bit of spunk and normalcy :bighug:

RachelG likes this.
  16. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm so let down by Fortune's biopsy results. I saw your post/update today on the SCL group, so I didn't think you had the results back yet. I'm sorry. BUT... I sill am hoping for a good outcome for Fortune and success with chemo. That's something to pray about... the visit this week for oncologist.

But let me get everything straight... the liver sample did not show signs of hemangiosarcoma, right? (VERY GOOD) But the hemangiosarcoma positive tissue was from the kidney that they removed, right? (The vets already thought that the kidney looked like hemangiosarcoma and the bleeding and collapse went along with that.) If this is the case, I feel really good about his prospects of doing well on chemo. I will pray that his kidney numbers will improve. We need them to stay stable or improve.

Hugs!!! I'm going to be looking for updates on Fortune every day... don't forget about us.

17. RachelG

RachelG Member

At least he isn’t over 600 anymore. Oof! Rough day. Waiting out the next 3 cycles til we can bump up. This is too long for it to still be new dose wonkiness or a bounce, right?

Thanks! I don’t post as much on the SCL group because it’s not really the SCL that’s our top concern right now. I’m much more active here because we need to get his BG under control. And everyone is so lovely ;)

We just got the update this morning, and I posted on SCL yesterday.

18. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Coming down into PMPS, yeah! Hopefully New Dose Wonkiness is over (usually just the first few cycles) and he'll drift down some more tonight. What was the old pred dose and the new one? Hoping that'll make things easier to control too.

Sorry to hear the kidney biopsy results (though sounds like it was what was expected) and good to hear the liver was clear.

RachelG likes this.
  19. RachelG

RachelG Member

I really hope these high numbers are over!!

Unfortunately the results were not a shock, but we were hoping. Now we just hope it hasn’t spread and the chemo is super effective.

Tomorrow I’m out of the house - doctor for me and vet visit for Marty, but DH will update the spreadsheet. Fingers crossed I come home to a good cycle!

20. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I’m sorry to hear about the dx, Rachael, but glad to hear he’s doing a bit better at home. I hope you get some good news on doing a treatment that will address the cancer and he can stay stable for a long time.

21. RachelG

RachelG Member

Thank you!

Totally missed this! It was 7.5mg as of 1/13/21, now it's (back to) 5mg.

22. Wendy&Neko

That'll help a bit. TBD whether the chemo protocol will include pred too.

RachelG likes this.
  23. RachelG

RachelG Member

I believe it's IV chemo, but perhaps it's a combination therapy like the one for SCL. All TBD...

24. RachelG

RachelG Member

Poor bunny. You wouldn't know he isn't feeling great by the greeting I got coming to bed! Laying on my chest rn.

I really hope the next increase helps him. Feels like it isn't new dose wonkiness anymore?

Based on how he is responding, is there an exception where we could just up to 3 IU after six cycles instead of 2.75?

25. RachelG

RachelG Member

Just thought of something - how long is a Lantus pen good for? We keep it in the fridge, and got this one in August or October according to DH. Fortune was in remission in October, so I have a hunch that it’s from August. It’s only good for like 3-6 months, right?

Ugh, I am sick over this right now! :nailbiting: My poor Fortune kitty :arghh:

26. Wendy&Neko

What is the expiry date on the pen? It is bringing him down.

With TR, you can increase by 0.5 units if he's seeing nothing lower than 300, but he has on this dose.

RachelG likes this.