2/21 Maki, PMPS 200, +2 189

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Patricia & Maki (GA), Feb 21, 2021.

1. Patricia & Maki (GA)

Patricia & Maki (GA) Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/2-20-maki-amps-211-2-211-pmps-234-2-229.243419/#post-2745705

Ok. Looking for creative solutions. I am in bed and unable to walk again. Steroids, antibiotics.. Blah blah blah you all don't need to listen to that part.. But...

I am trying to figure out what to do on the days I am non-functional especially in the morning for AMPS and shooting. Asked my partner, but he does hot want anything to do with needles or blood draw.

Idea?

So like today, Maki does not have me to test or shoot. What do I do on these days? I am sure it's not good for Maki. But it is what it is and I can't keep kidding myself that it will magically improve.

Thanks for all possible solutions, encouragement, guidance.

2. Scdal

Scdal Member

Do you have a friend or neighbor that would be willing to learn to this for you? You might be able to pay a local teenager or adult. A lot easier to do than babysitting. Another option might be to contact your veterinarian and see if someone on his staff could stop by on their way to work and do this for a small fee.

3. Patricia & Maki (GA)

Ok finally got partner, me, cat, test supplies in bedroom. Tested what would be a +3 249

Gill & George likes this.
  4. Patricia & Maki (GA)

So far, I am feeling pretty awful that my disability is affecting Maki significantly. Back to thinking I need to search a foster or adoption. Sad but want her to have the best care and life.

So for today.. Trying to work the best term with a longer term plan in background.

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I like the idea if getting a neighborhood teen that might be willing to help out temporarily so you can shoot. If we can be consistent Maki has a good chance of being diet controlled so it would not be for too long. :bighug:

Patricia & Maki (GA) likes this.
  6. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

I agree with Elise. Try and find someone to help in the short term. Hopefully Maki will go into remission with a little effort. :bighug:

7. Patricia & Maki (GA)

Thank you for keeping hopei Alive. I am just having a serious attack and don't want to jeopardize Maki's progress. The honest truth is we have no neighborhood teens. We live very rural with mostly Amish neighbors. It's beautiful out here but it is not conducive to a sick cat or people.
    Most vets treat equine, pigs, llamas, etc here.
    I am sure this sounds ridiculous but it is one of many reasons we are moving. So it is pack and go time. We have 21 days here and my partner is focused on moving, selling and his parents.

I don't want to sound like all excuses. It's the reality of our lives at this time. My not bouncing back is really what's messed this up and I am getting very down about it.

8. tiffmaxee

Will you be moving to an area where you can get help? Hang in there. I’m so sorry you aren’t feeling well and wish I could do something. :bighug:

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  9. Patricia & Maki (GA)

Well, we are moving even more remote into a nature/gameland area. We will be living in my partners parent's attic as they are 90 & 87 with dementia. So at least for a few years our lives will be very stressful/busy. (At some point I read this stuff I wrote and think, these folks have got to think I am making this up. Yes, or lives are a bit of train wreck.) This is our way of keeping them out of a nursing home and letting them live out their lives in their house.

I feel like I am dumping a lot of sob story on you. Not looking for sympathy. Just trying to provide the contact for my thinking and decisions around Maki's care and well-being.

10. Patricia & Maki (GA)

Elise, thank you for the kind words. You are doing something very much with keeping Maki going and happier. And being our fan club,/supporters.

11. tiffmaxee

You are really facing way too many challenges for one person to handle. It’s admirable keeping his folks in their home. We did that for my mom too but we were close to doctors and all we needed. I hope you will get the care you need being so isolated. :bighug:

12. Patricia & Maki (GA)

We have already done it for both my parents. Dad passed in 2013, then mom in 2017.

Doctor and good hospital access is an issue for my condition. Few doctors here have ever dealt with it. It has lead to sub part care. After gmom and gdad, Maki, then we will finally make it my turn to get intensive care by moving closer to a good university/research institute. I keep praying I have the patience and strength to get to that point.

Selling our house was the right thing. I can not leave the second floor many days. It's a lot of upkeep for my partner. Between me and the house he gets overwhelmed. Running back and forth to take care of mom and dad wasn't working. They were at risk. Why am I telling you all this... Well I have been wondering what I did with Maki that made her diabetic in the first place?

I have read over and over that stress can induce glucose intolerance in humans. I searched it for cats and it doesn't seem to be a very strong association? Could the "stress" in our lives, our household, have kicked the diabetes in gear?

Maki used to rush to Massachusetts with us when I would get the call that one of my parents was ill. She has adapted to a lot of stress around her for being a feral.

So I just want to learn what I did so I don't ever repeat it with another family member.

Just have to power thru getting us packed and moved in 3 weeks while keeping Maki stable or better.

Thanks for not barking at me for not following all the guidance or getting yall tests in time. I really am trying to keep plates spinning!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  13. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

My heart goes out to you, Patricia. Sending these:bighug::bighug::bighug: And many prayers of patience and strength for you to get through all of this.

You've got so much to deal with and you are doing an admirable job considering everything you are up against. It's obvious to me from your posts that you love Maki and are doing your very best for her.

As for what might have made her become diabetic, it's hard to say. Certain diseases are thought to make them more prone to developing diabetes, like pancreatitis for example. Cats with pancreatitis may be more likely to develop FD. Use of corticosteroids.,..also obesity are two other factors that can make a kitty prone to developing diabetes. The thing is, many cats have these things and never develop FD. In my opinion, it was nothing that you, Patricia, did that made Maki diabetic. Please don't blame yourself.:bighug:

14. Patricia & Maki (GA)

Thank you for the prayers. Thank you for educating!

I question now, obviously, that I shouldn't have fed her the science diet. I should have researched rather than blindly following vet. Won't do that again to a pet.

She had gained weight upto 14 pounds, so I guess that would be considered obese? Though the vet said she could lose a little he never seemed majorly concerned and called her a "good, healthy" Kitty. I will be much more diligent in this area and weigh more regularly.

She has really been a neat perfect cat. No health issues. The vet even said no more vaccines at her age and as she is indoor. So he only wanted to see her every 3 years since she turned 9. Vets here are super busy with larger animals so they, or at least he isn't the type to be just trying to make money on useless visits.

I sure didn't think glucose would become such an issue for our family. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

tiffmaxee likes this.
  15. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

It's easy to look back in hindsight and easy to beat ourselves up over the choices we made for our kitties. But we are supposed to be able to trust our vets! They are supposed to know what is best for our cats. We make the best decisions for our feline family members with the information we have to work with. That is what you did with Maki:bighug:

There is the odd cat that seems to go into remission with just a food change, but those seem to be few and far between from what I've seen.

While cats are obligate carnivores who should be fed a low carb diet, I've had cats in the past who spent their entire lives eating dry food (before I knew better) and never developed diabetes or any other health problem for that matter. I knew better about the diet by the time I got Butters, though. I always maintained a perfect weight for her, and I always fed her mostly raw, with some LC canned, and yet she developed diabetes and has a host of other health issues. She does have pancreatitis, though. So that was likely the factor for her.

I don't know enough about obesity in cats but there is a wide range of healthy weights for them. Butters's ideal weight is around 10 lbs. For other cats, it could be 7 lbs or even over 14 lbs. If the vet isn't concerned, then I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. If a cat needs to lose weight it is important to do it very slowly, and ideally the vet would help with that. I weigh butters weekly using a baby scale, which helps me keep her weight consistent.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  16. Patricia & Maki (GA)

PMPS 200
    Fed FF pate
    Shot .25