? 2/11 ZoRRo ... {{ Dare to reduce the dose? }}

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Xara Kakarantza, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Xara Kakarantza

Xara Kakarantza Member

2. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Hi A little too much blue in there.
    You want to see their BG mostly in the range for a healthy cat 50-80. He's had a couple of days in blue just recently.

Why are you feeding a +9 snack?

Xara Kakarantza likes this.
  3. Xara Kakarantza

Xara Kakarantza Member

Because he is very hungry and becomes very nervous and does not have the patience to wait until the time of the injection.
    Eats every 2.5-4 hours!
    If he has not eaten he does not let me take his blood, he becomes very aggressive and nervous.
    In the early morning he wakes me up, tearing down a whole house so that I can get up and feed him!

It has also seemed strange to me because in some circles, while it starts and ends with green, in between it turns blue !!

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hi. How about giving the lowest carb food at +9 and don’t feed at +10?

5. Gill & George

Ok I certainly remember how that might feel.

Feeding regularly works very well the only problem with that is that when they are on insulin it can shorten the duration if you do that in the latter half of the cycle. I'm not sure that is what we are seeing here. But before taking the dose down what I might suggest is instead of giving him his regular food in those later foods use something like a little poached chicken breast, just enough to keep him quiet, in a lot of cats it won't affect the BG. Some people particularly those with cats with acid tummys who need to eat regular because otherwise they vomit do this and it doesn't seem to affect them much.

Sometimes we do see the numbers rise a little before they earn a reduction, and I am wondering if this is what you are seeing.

(When you get down to the smaller micro doses we will suggest giving a +9 snack to stimulate the pancreas, but it is not something we do till he gets a bit further along)

I would hold the dose for now and lets see what happens over the next couple of cycles, see if he starts to trend down or up or if he actually earns a reduction with a drop below 50.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  6. Xara Kakarantza

Xara Kakarantza Member

I will try!!

7. Xara Kakarantza

Xara Kakarantza Member

I will make an effort not to eat after +9, although I know in advance that it will be difficult as he neither lets me take his blood before the injection, nor can I fool him with chicken breast.
    I tried to give him a single tablespoon of liquid food and he shouted and threw everything in the house because ... "HOW dare I put SO LITTLE food" ?? !! haha
    Regular bullying!
    Especially at night things become even more difficult!

However it is suggested that I keep the 0.5 dose for a few more days;

8. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

@Gill & George Would a +9.5 feed be okay?

I think its also okay to feed half his AMPS/PMPS meal and test immediately? Especially if he is too hangry to test?

9. Gill & George

I have one like that. As Elise suggested then try the lowest carb food he will accept for the later feeds.
    Maybe giving him a little more at his +6 feed and little less at his +9, add a little water to his +9 to fluff it out??
    I don't think it would make much difference

10. Xara Kakarantza

Xara Kakarantza Member

Ok! I will try it and we will see how it goes ..
    Thank you for your advice !!:bighug:

From what I understand, I stay in the dose until the blue clears, to make a reduction, right?

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  11. Gill & George

yes
    He would earn the reduction in one of two ways on TR
    • a drop below 50
    • one consecutive week with most numbers in the healthy range for the cat (basically no blue)

12. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

@Gill & George would an increase help get rid of the blues and restart momentum down the dosing ladder?

(I saw Robert has taken up Henry's dose yesterday)

13. Gill & George

It might be necessary, there is probably some jiggle room with where his nadirs are the last couple of days( mid 80 to mid 90's) and the overall range, but I would like to see the trend first. See if he brings himself down in the next couple of cycles, if he doesn't that is probably the next step to take.
    Henry was getting slightly higher blues., he seemed to be trending up.

He is getting off to a good start with the amps and the +2 today.

Xara Kakarantza and Bandit's Mom like this.
  14. Xara Kakarantza

Xara Kakarantza Member

Ok I got it.
    We will talk again in the coming days and I hope I have better news !!
    Thank you very much again for your time !!!

Gill & George and Bandit's Mom like this.
  15. Gill & George

You are very welcome. Let's see what he does over the next couple of cycles