18-year-old cat getting blue numbers

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Simon's human, Jul 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon's human

Simon's human Member

Simon has been getting numbers in the blues consistently. His diabetes was caused most likely by long-term use of steroids for IBD, and steroids were stopped completely a few weeks ago. Only started home testing July 17 which was the last day he had a PM dose, 1 u. Have skipped ProZinc most days after testing; even .5u dropped to 63 after 3 hours. Only day over 200 was July 23, when AMPS was 229 so gave .25. Dropped to 74 after 4 hours. He had had a stressful long car ride back from camping the afternoon before which could have influenced that rise. Has not had ProZinc since but will do a mid-day test today as well as today's AMPS which was 154. He will have labs at the vet's tomorrow, and I plan to test both before and after to check those numbers. I don't plan to give gabapentin again to reduce stress because last time it turned Simon into a zombie for several hours. I'm hesitant to give insulin when the numbers remain under 200. I admit I worry a lot about numbers that go so low. I am very appreciative for all the help and encouragement I've gotten here - even about how to post Simon's photo, which I finally accomplished this morning. I will try to attach a link to my previous long thread but had trouble figuring even that out before. Thanks!

2. Simon's human

Simon's human Member

137 at 5 hours past AMPS which was a NS. I tried to link previous thread about "18-year-old cat switching to ProZinc...) but just came up with my profile, which isn't helpful. Obviously I'm missing something - again!

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

These are lovely numbers for Simon but they are still diabetic numbers. Normal range is 50 - 120.

What would you think about trying to shoot 0.1u twice a day? It would look like this:
    [​IMG]

4. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

5. Simon's human

Simon's human Member

Thank you for doing the link for me! Hopefully I can do this myself next time. We have U-40 syringes, but the ones we have are not marked for .5, although I know there are such U-40 syringes. It was pretty hard, but doable, to do .25 which we only did once. I have been a little surprised and confused with different labs having different reference ranges. The lab Simon's vet was using before his diagnosis had 68-192 and the one he is using now has 63-148. According to that lab, reference range for fructosamine is 200-340. I don't have anything to compare that with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.