11/3 Milos fast drop! +6 253/ +8 117 is he safe?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ava-and-Milo, Nov 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ava-and-Milo

Ava-and-Milo Member

First time seeing a 100's number which is great, but i am nervous its too good to be true. I retested with the libre right after and he got 117 again.

his NADIR was I'm assuming at +5 again.. what does it mean when he drops so low later? he has not eaten since a small snack around +4

2. Ava-and-Milo

Ava-and-Milo Member

okay I'm feeling better as he is now at 162 just twenty minutes later .. but still what do i make of such a drop?

3. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

It's a little hard to say since you just started testing but I'd say it's possible he's breaking a bounce. It's good, good number! Don't be surprised if he bounces up again though since his body isn't used to the lower numbers.

Ava-and-Milo likes this.
  4. Ava-and-Milo

Ava-and-Milo Member

My fingers are crossed for a bounce break!!

FrostD likes this.
  5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

6. Ava-and-Milo

Ava-and-Milo Member

7. tiffmaxee

We ask everyone to link their posts. That way it’s easier to get the previous suggestions without having to search for them.
    Yes the 117 is today’s nadir. The nadir can move around. Melissa said it might be a bounce breaking which is totally possible. It looks like Milo is heading back up. Sometimes a bounce clearing cycle means the next one will be active. With him headg up it might not happen and it could also mean it’s just a late nadir. That’s why the spreadsheet is so important. Soon we will be able to figure this out. Great job testing.

You might try Vaseline on hi ear. I used to use Neosporin with pain relief but it’s no longer suggested because many cats are allergic to it they have found.

I see you are using the Libre now so you don’t need anything fur his ears.

8. Ava-and-Milo

Ava-and-Milo Member

I will try and figure out how link from now on!
    He had the libre installed until I figure out manual tests. Now knowing those are Libre numbers , does that change anything in your opinion ?

9. tiffmaxee

To link the condo just copy the url and paste it. The Libre doesn’t change anything. My only caution is if you ever see a number under 50 it’s a good idea to double check with your meter. That’s when we have seen it not be as accurate. It’s always a good idea to check with a second ear prick if you get a bg that does not go along with the rest of a cycle as well. It’s possible t get a bad strip or have too much or too little blood on a strip.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
  10. Ava-and-Milo

Ava-and-Milo Member

So his PMPS shot was HI. does this warrant starting a higher dose sooner then a few days? I’d love to start it ASAP while I have the libre on

11. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

tiffmaxee likes this.
  12. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

No. You need to hold the starting dose for at least 5 days to let the depot build, especially since you got that 117. The link Diane provided explains more.

Hes definitely bouncing up like I predicted, just sit tight and continue to give the same dose unless a reduction is earned. It can take a few cycles (and a lot of patience) to clear a bounce. His body isn't used to these numbers, so the liver "panics" and dumps a form of glucose into the bloodstream.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  13. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Has anything changed recently? Diet? Medications?

14. tiffmaxee

You need to hold this dose for 10 cycles after seeing a blue nadir with TR which is our more aggressive method. You can’t rush the process.

15. Ava-and-Milo

Ava-and-Milo Member

I just figured since he has been on this dose (.5) since 9/16 it would be okay to move it. But these are first numbers I’ve ever recorded because I have a libre as of 11/2. But I will hold! I’ll truly follow the advice on here to a T. I just want what’s best for my boy.

FrostD likes this.
  16. Ava-and-Milo

Ava-and-Milo Member

You mean in regards to his blue number? No nothing has changed. My guess is that first day of recording he was extra high because we had to to the vet to get his Libre placed. And he hates leaving the house so maybe today was a better reflection of his numbers in a relaxed state. Before the vet I had given him prescribed gabapentin (100mg) for his anxiety . Other than a big vet day, food is still the same ( tiki pate and friskies pate) and his 2 zobalines among his pile of pure bite chicken treats in the morning.

FrostD likes this.
  17. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

No worries! Just want to keep him safe while we get more data :)

Ava-and-Milo likes this.
  18. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Yes I just meant in general. Sometimes medications or food changes can affect things, just wanted to make sure that wasn't the case here. Stress is definitely an element to it, but that 117 is a nice number so hopefully he comes down a bit.

How are his meals currently spaced out?

19. Ava-and-Milo

Ava-and-Milo Member

So right now and his brother ( non sugar cat, mosa) split a can of friskies pate in the morning post shot. Then I leave out another 1/2 can for each when I go to work for 8 hours. Then I come home, empty the left overs ( they don’t each much while I’m gone). Put out another 1/2 can for each to eat before he fasts for insulin. Then I give shot snd give him 1/2 can of tiki which they both always fully eat. They don’t finish their 1/2 friskies portions ever. Then around +6-9 after PMPS I’m woken up at least twice to be carried to food ( he has neuropathy- reason why I took him to vet - I noticed he was wobbly). I’llput out 1/2 can of friskies for night time grazing.

20. Ava-and-Milo

Ava-and-Milo Member

I just did another test at the beginning of this hour and its down to 254

21. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

22. Diane Tyler's Mom

23. Ava-and-Milo

Ava-and-Milo Member

I think SLGS is best for Milo and I right now

24. Diane Tyler's Mom

Can you please add the to your signature and spreadsheet so members know thank you :cat:

25. Ava-and-Milo

Ava-and-Milo Member

Just did :) thank you!

26. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thank you Ava :cat:

27. Ava-and-Milo

Ava-and-Milo Member

So I am about to leave for work.. but I am concerned with how long he has been reading hi.. I added the image to my spreadsheet for whoever to see

28. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

He's just bouncing, it'll take some time. Do you test for ketones at home?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.