11/17 Eddie: Starting Cabergoline Today

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Jodey&Eddie&Blue, Nov 17, 2023.

1. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Jodey&Eddie&Blue Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone,

The last time I was on this forum was when Eddie and I went to VCA Victoria where he had SRT:

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/eddie-news-about-our-journey.269944/

Although his insulin requirements decreased after SRT (see spreadsheet), he has been climbing up again and a recent IGF-1 test was 257. No imaging done because Eddie is at great risk with sedation. Full stop.

You can see by his spreadsheet Eddie is at 18u BiD Levemir and has had a number of hyperglycemic events. Thankfully his ketones always seem to stay low. In any case, we have now entered Cabergoline territory and we'll see what that brings. He's on 1.1ml (110mcg) every second day. Today is, as I said, Day 1.

What I'm hoping to hear from you are recommendations for disguising compounded medication. Eddie is syringe-averse, even when the medication is flavoured. I was able to sneak it past him--although he was catching on already--by giving him some Churu treat in the package and then in a syringe just before I syringed the Cabergoline.

I'm wondering if Cabergoline could be disguised in food? In a pill pocket?

Hope everyone with an acrco cat is having a good evening or morning wherever you are.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  2. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

I mix Howie’s chicken flavored Cab in his breakfast. He has never even noticed it. I know some people get it as bacon marshmallow flavored too. Good luck with the cab!

Jodey&Eddie&Blue likes this.
  3. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

This is good to know. I didn't realize it could be mixed in with his food so that will make us both very happy.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I'm on another cat board where the IM vet who drops in recommends sweet flavours for compounding. He said marshmallow, but I like the idea of bacon marshmallow. It's been a popular one here. Mixing in with Churu is definitely an option too.

Kokkinoulis and Jodey&Eddie&Blue like this.
  5. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

I think they used chicken flavour but I like the idea of b-marshmallow. I'll ask them the next time around. In the meantime, Churu is very popular here. I'm going to try just mixing in with the Churu and see how that works so I don't have to wrestle with him for the syringe. I was under the impression that I had to give it to him straight but if food mix is an option, I'll take it!

~Tricia likes this.
  6. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

@Howiesmom I've just been revisiting some of these comments and saw yours. I see that Howie's spreadsheet had him on 30u insulin and now he's down to 7! When did you start Cabergoline and how long did it take for you to notice any changes. I mean that an amazing drop in insulin requirement!

7. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Hi Jodey! You should take a look at my spreadsheet about how Darcy did after starting Cabergoline. He was over 30/40 units and receiving high doses of supplemental R at first (when on Lantus and then we switched to Levemir.). Before he passed away (kidney disease) he was on a very small dose of Levemir.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
    Kokkinoulis likes this.
  8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

@Jodey&Eddie&Blue Take a look at Howie's spreadsheet in 2021. He got up to 55 units when he started cab Feb 4th 2021. Which is repeated in the signature above.

9. Suzanne & Darcy

And OMG, Jodey, I feel like an A Number One ASS. I had no idea that you had lost Blue. I know that during the summer I was completely engrossed helping people on the ProZinc Forum. I can’t believe I missed your message about Blue. I am so sorry. I am crying. Please accept my very belated condolences and apology. I know what it is like, but you had to deal with and process through a lot of additional trauma in the case of Blue’s death. I really feel horribly sad for that.

10. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

Howie was at 21 units until July 23. I reduced his dose for a critter sitter visit and then I kept doing reductions until I got him down to 7 units at the end of Oct and he’s been there ever since (2 months). I’m contemplating another reduction as his numbers are bouncing a bit. But as you see from my signature, it took from Feb 2021 to Oct 2023 to get him to this point. Definitely a long haul to get to this point!

11. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Oh, dear Suzanne, thank you so very, very much. To a certain extent your condolences are so very current since there is not a day that goes by that I do not see him here and think of him and of that day. It's one of those moments forever in my heart. Thank you.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  12. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

A long haul but oh, so worth it!!! I'm quite encouraged by Howie's experience! I've resigned myself to holding steady. Eddie's only had 21 doses of Cabergoline and that's since November 17 so not really very much time.

13. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

OM gosh, this is really amazing.

14. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

I just got back from family visits so had a critter sitter come for a few days this week. I reduced his dose to 5 units as he typically does a BG nosedive after 4 cycles. Well, I’m happy to say that he is doing great on this new dose so will stick with it there!

15. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Really good to hear! I'm whispering to Eddie to take his lead from Howie...

Kokkinoulis and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  16. Suzanne & Darcy

That is great to see on his SS! I think of you and Howie often. How’s the eating?

17. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

He’s doing ok with eating. Still takes about 45 min. I’m starting a new job in a few weeks and I have to be there 1.5 hrs earlier than my current job. So I’m not looking forward to the switch in meal times. My other cat Charlie has to be separated from Howie while he eats or else she eats his food which has a ton of meds and supplements in it. So I have to make sure he finishes before I leave for work as Charlie can’t be locked be locked away all day.

18. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

I'm wondering what issues Howie has with eating? For awhile Eddie was taking a long time to eat and wouldn't eat everything in one place. I had to follow him around with his food. Then I thought perhaps like some cats he doesn't like his whiskers touching the edge of the bowl (all of sudden anyway) and got him an oval bowl, which changed things considerably. He now eats the whole meal and leaves about a tablespoon scattered about in the dish so I scoop it into a little mound and put it on his bed (the bowl) and he finishes, totally.

19. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

Howie eats on plates as I heard about cats not liking their whiskers touching bowls too. I have to scrape his food so he eats it all as well.