11/01 Comet PMPS@50

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Amanda Comet’s Mom, Nov 1, 2021.

1. Amanda Comet’s Mom

Amanda Comet’s Mom Member

Hello, sorry I am at work. Just quick posting this. I’ll be done in an hour.
    Hubby is home with Comet. He checked him and fed at 4pm & then just checked him at 8pm for his PMPS. He was at 50! He panicked and fed him 3 oz of HC Fancy Feast food. I told him to not give any insulin just regular meds. Also to check him in 20 mins and keep checking to make sure all is ok until I get home.
    He was not acting weird, but gobbled food very fast. I told him to watch for lethargy or seizures.
    This has never happened before especially this late. His numbers have been getting better and he’s earned a few reductions. So now he would be on .25u
    I feel like if we eliminate his 2.5mg of pred in the AM he would be in remission. Any thoughts or suggestions? Kind of scared to give him insulin tomorrow.

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Good he didn’t shoot. Comet is looking great. Congrats on another reduction to .25. He might very well go into remission even getting a small dose of prednisolone. Even if 50 at shot time give lc as it should bring him up. Although too low to shoot 50 is still normal. If it happens any othe4 time in the cycle hc or mc is the right food to feed. If before nadir hc is good. When does he eat? Does he free feed?

3. tiffmaxee

If removing the prednisolone doesn’t work for the IBD you could try budesonide. It’s less likely to raise the bg.

4. Amanda Comet’s Mom

So there is no way for us to free fed him as his sibling cat literally eats any food in sight. I can’t just leave extra out or it would all be gone right away. I typically feed him at 8am (AMPS) and then at 12p (after checking) and then once more at 2pm (after checking before I leave for work) he is then home from 2:30pm until 7:30pm without food. Luckily hubby was home in time to check. It’s just odd how low he dropped that late. He was fairly consistent from 8am until 4pm checks. When does a Nadir typically happen?
    Also, is it possible for him to drop again tonight WITHOUT insulin, but from the HC food?

5. Amanda Comet’s Mom

I will be calling an asking again tomorrow from my vet about the Budesonide

6. tiffmaxee

I didn’t free feed either. Max needed small mini meals the first half of the cycle. I’d grab another test. It looks like you haven’t tested since pmps. He shouldn’t drop low when the hc wears off but when you see a low bg in addition to feeding again in 30-60 minutes you need to test. Let’s see what the bg is now.

Amanda Comet’s Mom likes this.
  7. Amanda Comet’s Mom

Sorry I was eating and forgot to update.
    He was 127 at +.5 and 154 at +1 and then now 136 at +3
    I typically check at his +4 and feed. Still going to do that tonight.

8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

It depends on the cat. I've seen some do +2, Neko liked the other end of the cycle. And it can vary somewhat from cycle to cycle to cycle. You have to figure out the answers specific to Comet.

Congrats on the reduction.

9. Amanda Comet’s Mom

I’m still kind of confused exactly what a Nadir is? Is it their lowest point?

10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Some terms worth knowing:
    • Onset - the length of time before insulin reaches the bloodstream & begins lowering blood glucose
    • Peak/Nadir - the lowest point in the cycle
    • Duration - the length of time insulin continues to lower blood glucose

Amanda Comet’s Mom likes this.
  11. Amanda Comet’s Mom

Thanks