10/29 ? BG Testing

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Jackie55 & Bootsie, Oct 29, 2021.

1. Jackie55 & Bootsie

Jackie55 & Bootsie Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/10-20-cabergoline.254474/
    Hello
    We are starting the second week of Cabergoline dosing EOD. Her behavior is about the same, maybe a bit less hungry but still very hungry at times and no diarrhea as of yet. Can you advise me how often I really need to be checking her BG. She rarely, if ever budges out of the 300’s. My vet and I have discussed this and perhaps next week will increase the dosing to every day. I just feel bad for poking her all the time even though I know it is to keep her safe and healthy as can be.

Thanks - Jackie

PS. I really hate this disease for our kitties and our humans

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

4 tests a day at a minimum, the two preshots plus two other tests are a good practice. Did you give insulin last night? The PMPS dose on the spreadsheet is blank.

Most people move to dosing every day, unless there are GI issues.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I would increase insulin dose. Staying in the 300's all day is not the best. I only test my my Snuffles before each shot and very infrequently between shots. He is a biter and has sent me to the Dr once and ER once. Snuffles spends the entire day in the low 100's and high double digits. At first his once daily cabergoline slowed dose increase and I am now getting dose decrease he was on hight o total 20 units twice daily to 12 units twice daily. After starting cabergoline the dose increase could have been due to me trying to get BG down from high 100's.

4. Jackie55 & Bootsie

I did give her insulin last night. I did not realize I had forgotten to enter it. Thanks for the advice about testing

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  5. Jackie55 & Bootsie

I am increasing the insulin per the TR protocol. I will not increase faster than that.

Wendy&Neko likes this.
  6. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Is Bootsie relatively easy to test?

7. Jackie55 & Bootsie

Yes, she is very patient with all the poking and the injections. I do try to reward her after each test with a little cooked chicken or a snuggle. The only thing she does not like are the injections if they sting. But I am lucky. And I am a nurse so very familiar with injections and checking blood glucose in humans.

8. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh. I don’t know about your insulin stinging. Is it biosimilar to Lantus which is acidic and stings? I switched to Levemir which does not sting.

9. Suzanne & Darcy

P.s. She sounds very sweet!

Jackie55 & Bootsie likes this.
  10. Jackie55 & Bootsie

The pharmacist did tell me it can sting. Sometimes she is good and doesn’t even flinch but other times I know it stings. But she is a good girl through it all. I just wish lose BG would come down a bit but perhaps with time.

11. Suzanne & Darcy

When I look at her SS I hate seeing those pinks. I hope she will be better soon. You are following TR. Now that you are up to 10 units and following TR, you will be able to do full unit increases. I hope you will get closer to a good dose for her very soon. It will be much easier on her body, particularly her kidneys. Bootsie’s high and flat spreadsheet is so familiar to me with my acro boy. I’m rooting for Bootsie.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
  12. Jackie55 & Bootsie

i hate those pinks too. I cringe when the meter says that. And I did not realize I could increase by 1 unit once I got to 10. I will do that. Today I did 10.5 bu t I could just go to 11 tonight. She was waiting to be fed this morning but did not wake me up so that was encouraging. And her BG was lower but she had not eaten during the night. Prob just slept.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  13. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Think of the increases as 10-15% of the total insulin dose, so you are good for a 1 unit increase. Also, if all you are seeing is yellow nadirs, don't hold the dose any more than six cycles.

I am glad Suzanne mentioned Levemir. It has similar insulin action the Lantus and it's biosimilars but does not have the acid base so does not sting. The main difference is that the onset and nadirs are typically a couple hours later. A lot of higher dosed cats get switched to Lev because of the sting.

14. Jackie55 & Bootsie

It is weird with the Basoglar - if I let it warm up a bit she does not seem to mind it. And I have not increased her over the last 2 days because I was not home to monitor her. My husband was in charge and not quite as willing to test her sugar so we decided to leave her at 10.5. I will go to 11.5 tomorrow but her BG’s were lower today when I did check them.

FrostD likes this.
  15. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Forgive me if this has been asked, but are you checking for ketones at all?

16. Jackie55 & Bootsie

Yup and they are negative

FrostD likes this.