10/22 Comet PMPS 215

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jenny and Comet (GA), Oct 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenny and Comet (GA)

Jenny and Comet (GA) Member

Hi, everyone. Feeling a little dumb about posting here again. I know I need to figure out the Lantus board but I started reading the protocols last night and wasn't able to finish and my head is a mess today.

Not sure if I should shoot tonight and don't know what to try if I did. The other day at the advice of the board, I did try doing .1 at a similar preshot number, but it was a morning shot and I think I ended up shooting closer to zero. Our insulin history isn't very long. I would feel safer doing something if he was higher, but he isn't.

He has eaten okay today. I am home and can keep an eye on him, but can't stay up with him the entire night as I have before.

Thanks for your help. Feeling tired and discouraged.

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Jenny and Comet (GA) likes this.
  3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

It’s over 200 so safe to shoot.

4. Jenny and Comet (GA)

What should I do, .1 again?

5. Jenny and Comet (GA)

Have looked over the SLGS guidelines again. I am leaning towards NS. He hasn't had as much dinner at this point as he usually does, and I just checked him again and he's actually gone down a bit more so I'm uneasy. Will keep checking periodically and see where we go. Thanks, jt and trouble (GA) and tiffmaxee.

6. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

You are welcome. You will be safe tonight. I'm signing off . need to fix dinner .
    Have a lovely night!

7. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Sorry I didn't get the tag, I'm really not that experienced when it comes to
    giving dose advice, I only saw this because I was going through the feline health forum at least you will know he will be safe tonight skipping the dose.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  8. tiffmaxee

Sorry but you were fine to shoot as the bg was over 200. The 0.1 dose was what you should have injected. New to insulin 200 is very safe.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  9. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Jenny, I know you’re reluctant because of the 2 previous hypo incidents but you should try to shoot over 200. Especially now with a smaller dose. Remember it’s not about the amount of food he eats but whether he’s eating or not. A few teaspoons of food onboard are enough to give insulin. What’s his bg now? I don’t see it on the ss :cat:

you know what else I’m going to ask you don’t you? :p

10. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

This is your new dose so you should stick with .1 for at least 7 days on SLGS

11. Jenny and Comet (GA)

I do know! I asked for it and was told that since he was eating normally later after he vomited that they did not think he needed it; they said they would prescribe later "if merited". Apparently not merited yet. :(

12. Jenny and Comet (GA)

We had a weird day today. I am starting a new thread. I am not sure if I can stick with the .1 based on what we had today. I'd appreciate your advice once I get it up.

13. tiffmaxee

That is a very good cycle. I would stick with .1.

14. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

The problem with that is by the time you do need it they could be closed, like at night or a Sunday, and then you’ll be on a tough spot. I’d push harder for it and say exactly that, you don’t want to risk being stuck with a diabetic cat who won’t eat when they’re closed and you want it now to have it at hand as a backup. Remember I told you they wouldn’t just give it to you, you have to advocate for the fact you’ll be the one dealing with it on your own and you don’t want a trip to the ER just for that. Or get your human doctor to prescribe you ondansetron. I’m serious. Don’t wait

but kudos for not forgetting to ask! :cat::cat::cat:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  15. tiffmaxee

Ale is so right. Starting nausea meds at the first sign makes all the difference.

16. Jenny and Comet (GA)

Yes, I will try again. I'll call in the morning. Thank you.

17. Jenny and Comet (GA)

How would you know when to start? Can you put them in a pill pocket?

18. tiffmaxee

If he goes up to food but walks away, drinks the liquid but doesn’t eat, or licks his lips. If he is super picky it’s another sign of nausea. Ondansetron is tiny so you can try but if nauseous he might not want a pill pocket. I put meds in empty gel capsules.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.