? 10/20 Phoenix AMPS 310 Increase Dose?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Scdal, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Scdal

Scdal Member

@Bandit's Mom
    @tiffmaxee
    Phoenix has never done this before and I am concerned. I increased Phoenix's insulin last week from 9.5 units to 10. He had gone 3 days without dropping below 100. However, his numbers were quite good.

I increased to 10 units. Ever since then, Phoenix's numbers have gone higher. I thought he was bouncing but usually by the third day, his BG will drop. This time it hasn't.

Should I increase to 10.5 units? I can't believe his numbers went higher when I increased last week instead of lower.

2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Yes, it does look like you need to go up in dose. I see he has been coughing - is he still on Zyrtec? Maybe the allergies are causing his numbers to go higher?

3. Scdal

Scdal Member

Hi Bhooma,
    Yes, Phoenix is still taking the Zyrtec. He was coughing a few days ago but the coughs didn't sound deep or congested. The last 2 days, he hasn't coughed very much. I think he is feeling good. He is walking around the yard and chasing the ducks and cats that come close to his fence and is staying outside all day until I call him in when it is getting dark. I will increase tonight to 10.5 units. Thank you for responding.

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

When do you sleep? It does look like an increase is needed. He hasn’t seen much green. Does he perhaps have a respiratory infection?

5. Scdal

Scdal Member

No, I don't think Phoenix has a respiratory infection. He is feeling good. He has coughed on and off for over a year. His vet has listened to them and believes it is an allergy. He recommended Zyrtec and it has helped tremendously. It is a dry cough and just mainly in his throat.

With it getting dark early in the evenings, I usually go to bed and read or watch TV by 9 p.m. I set the alarm for 12 a.m. and check his BG. Then usually again around 4 a.m. I am retired but I don't take naps. I do not need a lot of sleep. Before I retired, I worked 12 hour days at my full time job and worked a part-time job 3 days a week in the evenings. I had to get up at 4 a.m. to get to work.

6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

That’s good he’s feeling good. I don’t sleep much either, lol.

7. Scdal

Scdal Member

An update, I had errands to run this afternoon. When I got home, I let Phoenix outside and sat outside with him. He coughed 17 times in a row. It is more like a huff than a deep cough. He did it again about 30 minutes later and huffed about 20 times. Then, he sneezed twice.

When we came back inside, Phoenix has been fine. He is eating all his meals. I believe it is allergies even though he is still taking the Zyrtec. I will watch him closely.

What concerns me is still his BG readings. Phoenix has been coughing for well over a year now. It was worse before he started on the Zyrtec but the coughing never effected his BG numbers. He stayed in the 300s all day today.

8. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

9. Scdal

Scdal Member

Yes, he thinks it is an allergic reaction. The reason why is like yesterday. He coughed and sneezed a lot but he is still active and eating great. He does not have a runny nose or eyes.

This morning, I have been up for 4 hours. Phoenix has not coughed or sneezed at all. This is the way he does. For about 6 months, I kept him on antibiotics thinking he had to have a respiratory infection. The antibiotics did not make any difference.

It can be very distressing when he coughs and sneezes a lot. But then, the next day, he is completely fine.