10/20 ? Cabergoline

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Jackie55 & Bootsie, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Jackie55 & Bootsie

Jackie55 & Bootsie Member

Ok - I have the med in hand but I am really nervous to start it. Should I give her a dose tonight or should I wait until morning until I can observe her more closely? Those of you with kitties on the med what do you think?

2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

I had no strong reaction from starting in Darcy. If you plan to give it to Bootsie in the morning each day then just wait until tomorrow morning. Darcy had diarrhea for about a day when we started. After that he was fine.

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I have yet to see someone see an immediate reaction. In some number of cats there is are some minor GI symptoms, but not right away.

Lee cuzz likes this.
  4. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

Howie had diarrhea for the first couple days too. Then it went away.

5. Suzanne & Darcy

Hi Jackie! I’m thinking about you and Bootsie! I hope you are well! :bighug:

6. Jackie55 & Bootsie

We are doing ok. She got her 3rd dose of cabergoline today. I did notice yesterday she was a bit more sleepy and perhaps a bit less hungry but unfortunately her numbers are not budging from the 300’s. Perhaps with time. Thanks for thinking of us.

7. Suzanne & Darcy

Sorry about her high numbers. You probably just need to keep increasing until you break through some of that. In my experience (with myself and a couple other people) it takes about six weeks to start seeing changes... of course, every cat IS different. Maybe Bootsie will be one of the ones who responds quickly (I hope so!)

8. Jackie55 & Bootsie

Thanks Suzanne - me too. I do think she has a bit of a GI issue with the med - she went outside and ate some grass today and is not finishing her food despite her high numbers which is unusual for her. I just would like her to feel better. I have not noticed any diarrhea which is good.

9. Suzanne & Darcy

Did you feed her a meal right after giving the medication? That’s how I always did it. I gave the Cab right at AMPS time with breakfast.

10. Jackie55 & Bootsie

yup that is what I am doing. I actually have mixed it in her food since it is in a chicken flavored suspension which she seems to like.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.