10/20/21 Squints AMPS 187, 86 +2.5. PMPS 306

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by StephanieNJ, Oct 20, 2021.

1. StephanieNJ

StephanieNJ Member

We shot 1.5 units this morning, a little over 3 hours ago.
    He is starting to get finicky with his food. ughhhh. He is a full time job.

2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Ok that is a big drop. How long from now do you leave for work?

Please feed 1 tsp MC and retest if you can

If you have to leave soon, I'd leave both MC (1/2 can) and LC (free fed) out for him.

StephanieNJ likes this.
  3. StephanieNJ

StephanieNJ Member

I tried to feed him some MC, but he doesn't like it. I did leave him some LC and he was eating some while I was there and before I left. I was not able to retest, since I overslept a bit and had to leave for work.
    I wish I could stay home with him every day :(

4. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Ok. A +10 or 11 would have helped to see if he was dropping coming into shot time, he breaks bounces fast it seems!

I keep a few different MCs on hand. You can always mix foods as well - small bit of HC/gravy with bigger portion of LC, little bit of honey/karo in with LC.

How big is his AMPS meal? May need to consider making that smaller so he's hungry for you when he drops like that

I also keep the Gerber baby meat food and feeding syringes on hand. I'm not saying that was needed this morning, it just seems to happen in the worst moments.

I'm a little uncomfortable with not having had MC and just LC left out. Anyway someone can pop in on him soon?

Somebody mentioned shooting through the bounce yesterday when a reduction is earned...that works for most cats, but for Squints I think that is a bad idea now that we've seen he's broken two bounces same cycle

5. StephanieNJ

StephanieNJ Member

6. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

It's hard to say, the depot is still in effect, he needs time to adjust to new dose. But if he's going to keep dropping on you before you leave, we might want to consider a BCS (big chicken shot, about half the full dose) at some point to drain the depot. But I'd wait for more experienced people to chime in, unfortunately you shoot pretty early when not many are on

StephanieNJ likes this.
  7. StephanieNJ

StephanieNJ Member

we are getting a timed feeder. so that will help out. and then once we get that we are going to keep in alone in our room.
    Its hard to leave food out for him when we have other cats that will eat it as well.

FrostD likes this.
  8. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

The depot will be in play for at least 4 cycles. I’d buy a few types of mc and hc to find what his favorite is so you have a go to food when needed. You can also mix lc with hc to get mc.

StephanieNJ likes this.
  9. StephanieNJ

StephanieNJ Member

My husband is going to get some different foods for him.

should I keep doing to 1.5 units.

10. tiffmaxee

Yes. Once the depot is gone we will know if he needs less or not. He cleared the bounce quickly and already back to work.

StephanieNJ likes this.
  11. StephanieNJ

StephanieNJ Member

ok, thank you

12. tiffmaxee

Your ss says he was diagnosed 8/20 but your signature says 8/21. Change the date on your ss when you can as the directions change after a year diabetic. Something tells me that will never happen with Squints. Anti jinx.

You will want to feed him a little higher carbs if he hits the 50’s for a few cycles to prevent another reduction for about 4 cycles. Back to back reductions often don’t work because the depot is still in play. If it happens you take the reduction though because some cats just race down the dosing scale.

FrostD and StephanieNJ like this.
  13. StephanieNJ

StephanieNJ Member

Do you recommend any food thats best with higher carbs. I have friskies with gravy, is that ok?

14. StephanieNJ

StephanieNJ Member

I updated the diagnoses date. it was 8/2020 -

15. tiffmaxee

So he’s a long term diabetic. That means reductions are earned if three times in the 40’s or any drop under 40. Keep him at 1.50 this time. Let’s see if it sticks.

StephanieNJ likes this.
  16. tiffmaxee

I’m not up on carbs in foods as my two eat raw. Usually gravy means carbs. Check the food lists. Different flavors even in the same brand can have different carb amounts. You can try adding a little if the gravy food to the lc and see if it brings him up. To be honest I don’t trust any of the manufacturers when it comes to reporting and would look at the ingredients and use a carb counter to check the carbs. If one of mine didn’t have allergies I would be making my own food.

StephanieNJ likes this.
  17. tiffmaxee