10/19 Sunday - (not urgent) Dosing Advice

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Autumn - Sunday’s mom, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Autumn - Sunday’s mom

Autumn - Sunday’s mom Member

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone would look at my sugar baby’s numbers (spreadsheet) and give some input. We use the AlphaTrak 2, and she is receiving .5 units of Lantus every 12 hours. Her numbers are pretty consistent, but I’m not sure if they should be lower or if she’s good with the numbers she is consistently at.

Thoughts appreciated!

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I see you still aren’t getting tests past pmps. Your signature says TR but you need a minimum of two tests each cycle for TR and some mid cycle tests to see tge nadir, lowest point in the cycle.

Here’s your last post for continuity.
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/9-22-sunday-pspm-117-2-139.253342/#post-2857113

Without more testing I don’t feel comfortable suggesting an increase. Will you be able to test more? Has your cat been n insulin since diagnosis in 2019 or in remission?

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  3. Autumn - Sunday’s mom

4. tiffmaxee

You aren’t following TR. With TR you increase after 3-5 days. The goal is for your cat to be between 69-120. You don’t have any tests at night to see how low your cat goes on .50. During the day you don’t have a second test on many days.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  5. Autumn - Sunday’s mom

I was testing multiple times at first; I just didn’t know how long I was supposed to test like that. So, I need to get some data from after PM shot in order to know if I should adjust dosage?

6. tiffmaxee

Yes. It looks like you are getting flat lantus cycles and keeping Autumn safe. If your goal is remission she needs more testing and an increase most likely to .75. That would mean like I said 2 tests every cycle minimum and spot checks to see if she’s going under 68. That one yellow amps makes me wonder if she went lower the night before. Do you pick up her food 2 hours before amps and pmps? I think she has a good chance to go into remission since she doesn’t bounce high.

7. Autumn - Sunday’s mom

I pick up food 2hr before her PMPS, and I leave out a can over night, so she may be finishing it just before her AMPS while I’m still sleeping. I can start picking it up 2hr before though just to be more precise with her AMPS. Should I start .75 tomorrow and get multiple tests in each cycle?

8. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

I would not be so quick to increase. Better that the cat floats in higher numbers than go too low. You're not getting mid-cycle tests so we have no idea how low the .5 unit dose is taking Sunday. That's why Elise is not comfortable giving you dosing advice. If you get in a few days of more testing, then someone can advise you. You have to think about insulin not as a drug but as a hormone that works in waves of action that last anywhere from 12-18 hours. Shot time is *usually* when they are highest, Lantus onsets at +2 or +3 and so that's often when cats start dropping lower.

Any reason why you don't test at all at night? If you take a look at my spreadsheet in recent days, I try to get at least 2-3 midcycle tests in during the day and at least one at night. I know my cat well, so often I don't test more than once in the evening but sometimes I test a lot more if she is having an active cycle.

Diane Tyler's Mom and tiffmaxee like this.
  9. Autumn - Sunday’s mom

Hi Katherine,

Thank you for your reply. There is no reason I am not testing at night. I guess I just didn’t realize I needed to. I will start getting a few over the next week, so I can come back for dosing advice. What you said makes a lot of sense, so thank you for taking the time to explain that to me.

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  10. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

We're very data driven here. Every test you can add to the spreadsheet tells us a lot about what is going on. :)