10/19 Henry AMPS 89 +3.5 80 +5.5 PMPS 91 +3.5 65 +5.5 66

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Golf2015, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Golf2015

Golf2015 Well-Known Member

There are two scenarios in Henry's spreadsheet data points with respect to the PMPS & AMPS BG numbers and the low point in the 12 hour cycle:

1) When Henry's PMPS & AMPS preshot values are in the greens (below 100) the drop is usually 20 points and sometimes less (low point).

2) Now when his AMPS & PMPS preshot values are 100 or greater the low point will be as much as 40 points or more at the low point in the 12 hour cycle.

3) When you compare the two low point values. The low point is always lower when the preshots are 100 or greater

4) So any thoughts ?

Previous Thread

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  2. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Lantus is good at keeping low numbers low and steady, which is what you've observed in 1 above. Shoot low to stay low. :)

3. Golf2015

So you shot low to stay low how do explain the higher preshots (100 plus).

What happened with lantus during these events (higher preshots)?

4. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

AMPS are generally higher for most cats - dawn phenomenon, endocrine system triggers a release of hormones that raise BG to prepare for the day - have you tried a small meal around +9?

I can get a better link for you if you want to read more about it.

He looks great though!

5. Golf2015

Is the link base on Science - Controlled Studies?

My understanding the +9 feeding is for less than 1 unit for the preshots

I do not want to put Henry thru trail and error methods I just feel like he goes through enough already

Yes, he does look good and I'm grateful that he is

FrostD likes this.
  6. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Its part of the biorhythm of most mammals (and birds). Are you looking for something specifically for cats? @Chris & China (GA) I know I've seen you mention it quite a bit.

I know Ive usually seen it for low dose/less than 1U as well, but I've also seen it mentioned as a "hey worth a shot" for tightly regulated cats at slightly higher doses.

But I understand! These poor kitties go through so much. His numbers are great I personally wouldn't stress too much. It could just be insulin working differently on those days, he's more active some nights, who knows.

7. Katherine&Ruby

If we could answer that question then we would not manage diabetes at all. Dawn phenomenon is one possibility as Melissa said. The late cycle snack works if Henry's pancreas is sputtering along and encourages the numbers to go lower in the morning so that when you do shoot, you are shooting a low number and then it stays low. Then maybe after a while Henry gets more used to it and doesn't give you blue numbers in the morning anymore.

8. Katherine&Ruby

I’m going to add also Robert that you can look up on Google how human diabetics deal with dawn phenomenon: they eat something at night. Yes, it’s not recommended for cats unless they are on small doses, but I think of all the things you can do to a cat, feeding is the least harmful. As for scientific controlled studies, I only know that the FDMB has been around for 25 years and things observed here, while some bits of advice do not appear in peer-reviewed studies, add up to some pretty powerful anecdotal evidence to me.