10/18, Kahlua, PMPS=285, +2=297

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kahluasmom, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Kahluasmom

Kahluasmom Well-Known Member

This is my first time. Excited and terrified! 1 unit...

FrostD likes this.
  2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Maria!

Welcome to the Lantus forum. :) Good luck with Lantus!

You needn't mention the Lantus dose in your signature since it is bound to change.

Were you able to go through our dosing protocols and pick one? If Kahlua is only eating LC wet food and you can get at least 4 tests per day (2 preshots and 2 midcycle), you may want to follow TR. It is a more aggressive protocol but will get Kahlua to a good dose sooner.

Dosing Methods: Start Low, Go Slow (SLGS) & Tight Regulation (TR)

Link to your previous posts on the Main/Health forum:
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/starting-insulin-tomorrow.254360/
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/intro-and-questions.254177/

3. Kahluasmom

Yes, I did read them all. Sadly my memory is awful. I'm planning on TR since I'm home most of the time. What time should I recheck her? I was thinking every 2 hours. When do I stop rechecks? During the day it's no big deal. But at night...

4. Bandit's Mom

It will take the Lantus depot a week to build. With Lantus the onset (or when the insulin starts working) is usually around +2 (2 hours after the shot). For some cats it can be later and other it can be earlier. The idea is to understand how Kahlua responds to insulin - when does it onset and when does it peak (her numbers nadir)?

We like to suggest getting a +2 because it can act like a crystal ball of what the cycle is going to look like.
    • If the +2 is about the same as the PS, it's usually going to be a pretty normal cycle....gradually down to nadir and then gradually back up to the next PS.
    • If the +2 is a lot higher than the PS, that usually means there's a bounce starting and it's usually OK to take a little bit of a break on testing.
    • If the +2 is lower than the PS, that's your "early warning" that numbers might be going a lot lower later in the cycle and it's important to try to get some other tests in to keep her safe.
    If you can only get 4 per day, then you always get the 2 pre-shots and then get at least 1 somewhere mid-cycle on the AM cycle (usually between +4 and +6) and at least a "before bed" on the PM cycle (usually at least 2-3 hours after the PM shot).

Kahluasmom likes this.
  5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Welcome to LLB. Bhooma has given you lots of good advice to get you started. No need to be terrified. We have your back!

Thank you for posting your subject in the correct format. It’s good to add the tests as you get them there so that those of us scanning the board can see if anyone needs help.

Kahluasmom and Bandit's Mom like this.
  6. Kahluasmom

Should I be feeding her? She had a small can of FF before her shot and after AMPS. But that's long gone. She is very underweight, so I've been letting her eat all the FF she wants.

7. Bandit's Mom

Yes, you want to feed small meals through the cycle. Feed more in the first half of the cycle when the insulin action is strongest. Remember not to feed 2 hours before the shot - you do not want a food influence preshot number when determining whether it is safe to give insulin.

tiffmaxee and Kahluasmom like this.
  8. Kahluasmom

I just checked my girl at +3.5.....how do I change the SS to that instead of 4? It just erases it on me.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  9. Bandit's Mom

You don't change the top line. In the box for that hour you put "206 @+3.5". You will need to manually colour it yellow. I've done it for you. Take a look. :)

Are you feeding her a little food with every test?

Diane Tyler's Mom and Kahluasmom like this.
  10. Kahluasmom

Yes. I'm giving her half a can.

11. Kahluasmom

PMPS=285 I should go ahead with her 1 unit, yes?

1 unit done!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    FrostD likes this.
  12. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

See! Old hat lol good job!

Kahluasmom likes this.
  13. Kahluasmom

Thank you! Now....overnight....I'm thinking +2 and a +6....is that okay? Her poor ear!

14. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

+2 or +3 is always a given, whatever works with you schedule! Hopefully in a week or so we'll know which is the better predictor for the rest of the cycle.

As for the other one...it depends on the +2 or +3. I don't expect any funny business, so a +5 or +6 would be good, starting to "fill in the blanks". Now if there's a big drop at +2 or +3 may need to rethink.

Kahluasmom likes this.
  15. Kahluasmom

+2 is 297.....

16. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

That is the makings of a boring cycle... usually. I'd grab a +5.

Can you update your thread title? Clear out the AM info, and put the PMPS and +2.

Kahluasmom likes this.