? 10/18 Eddie: AMPS 270 +4 157

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jodey&Eddie&Blue, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Jodey&Eddie&Blue Well-Known Member

Such an interesting pattern. Two things suggest themselves:

1) Eddie had SRT for acromegaly in February. Tumour on the way out?
    2) Eddie's Thryoid medication increased to 0.1mg/BiD from once daily. A better balance?

Whatever gets us into the blues is such a relief.

Eddie is supposed to have a CT scan to see how the SRT might be working.

2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Oof you gave me a heart attack! GA stands for Gone Ahead or Guardian Angel, cats that have passed away. Can you switch that to the question mark?

I think it's too early to say tumor is on its way out, but definitely possible you're seeing the start of something. As for thyroid meds, I have no idea, but I imagine that could be helping as well.

3. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh, Jodey. You freaked me out. If your Eddie is still alive please remove the GA in front of your thread title. That means the kitty has passed.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  4. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Same here! My first thought - oh no :(

Please update your title as soon as possible and remove the 'GA'.

Thank you!

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I just about had a heart attack, so removed the GA. Whew!

The link to your previous post here: https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/10-17-amps-241-eddie-flat-yellow-then-3-151-4-5-149.254330/ which we include to make it easy to go back and see what happened previously.

I still think a follow on CT scan is both a waste of your money and an unnecessary anaesthesia for Eddie. The folks at CSU I saw didn't not think it was worth doing, and at the time they were the North American experts on SRT. It can take a couple years to see the full effect of SRT. Scanning before then doesn't make sense. And even if you did rescan, what would it tell you? That it had gone down, or gone down and back up, or just gone up or ?

Jodey&Eddie&Blue likes this.
  6. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

OMG!! I’m sorry. I had to go out but wanted to post!!!!

7. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

OMG!! I had to go out but wanted to post and must have hit the wrong button!!!!

8. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

OMG thank you. As I said I was on my way out but wanted to post snd must have hit the wrong button!!!!

9. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Susie I’m so sorry. Had to go out snd must have hit wrong button! OMG!!!!!!!

10. Summer and Susie (GA)

Not a problem. Just didn't want you to lose your kitty too.

11. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

12. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

@Wendy&Neko @FrostD Help needed

Eddie just test PMPS @ 133.

Should I stall??????

I just fed him. Do I test again in 20 or 30 minutes?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  13. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Yes stall without feeding, retest in 20 mins. This is past my comfort zone of telling you to shoot/no shoot/BCS, so let me see who is online...

14. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Not really seeing anyone, maybe Wendy will pop in in time

Are you able to stay up and test, have hypo kit, plenty of strips?

Normally 133 is safe to shoot, but given that something seems to be going on here with either tumor or IAA, I'm not comfortable saying shoot full dose. BCS is usually half the normal dose, but would reset the cycle count.

Your past cycles with PS this low ended up rolling into a bounce...but he had a nice day today so I'm not expecting a bounce.

If it were my cat, I'd shoot and see how he does. But Im a little less apprehensive with my cat vs others', and I also have more experience handling the lows. The safer option (other than a skip obviously) is a BCS of about 6.5U, but you will still need to keep an eye on him. There is a large depot
    still affecting things, and a BCS likely means he will end up with a higher BG the next few cycles.

15. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

I jumped the gun. I waited and then fed him some food.

16. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

I can stay up for sure. As I said I jumped the gun and gave him some food, which I usually do when I give him the PM shot. So, he's had some food. I'll test again in about 20 mins or so. Thank you for being t/here.

FrostD likes this.
  17. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Ok, just remember stall without feeding for the future. Retest anyway, but my recommendation at this point would be 6.5U or less, but hopefully Wendy will pop in.

18. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Thank you, Melissa. I just had knee-jerk reaction and I fed him. That's the one thing I need to learn to stay frosty.

FrostD likes this.
  19. Wendy&Neko

Always stall without feeding. That tells you if he's on his way up. But since he saw a 109 earlier today, you know he's slowly on the rise. If you can stay up, I'd shoot the full dose. But I know you have problems getting night time tests. If that's the case tonight, I'd suggest something different.

20. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

I will do the night time! Seriously, this result gave me a shot of adrenaline and I jumped the gun. I will write this out and put it on the counter: ALWAYS STALL WITHOUT FEEDING.

What ought I to do in the morning with regards shot time?

21. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

My husband once woke me up at night saying he got a 28...I blinked real hard about 3 times, shot out of bed and practically jumped the whole flight of stairs.

If.your schedule is flexible you can shoot whenever. The morning dose should ideally be 12 hrs plus or minus 15 minutes. So you can work each shot back by 15 minutes until you get back to your normal time. Or move one shot back 30 minutes.

22. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Ok, 30 mins later he's gone from 133 to 140.

Also, OK: I shot the full dose (with a dash of Reiki for good measure). I will stay up. Thank God for Netflix. Should I test every hour or is two hours ok?

Thank you @Wendy&Neko & @FrostD for walking with me here.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  23. Wendy&Neko

How long past shot time are you? Note, if you stall for a while, it acts like a bit of a reduction.

24. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

30 minutes. But, as you see, I gave the shot as he is rising. I'll stay up.

25. Wendy&Neko

If you shoot 1/2 hour late tonight, you can shoot back on time tomorrow. Or 15 minutes earlier each cycle tomorrow.

26. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

OMG, 28!!??? That is adrenaline-worthy. I do have my hypo kit ready...

27. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Ok, thank you. As I mentioned to @FrostD, I have the hypo-kit ready, just in case. Thank you so much.

JeffJ and FrostD like this.
  28. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I don't login everyday, and I don't do hypo-watch anymore.
    You have my BIG kudos for helping you sweet kitteh with SRT and hypophysectomy. I've been there (drove Leoberry from Austin - FtCollins in 2016 to get SRT). I know what a challenging road it is. I hope your kitteh is doing well, and that you are treating yourself right also.
    Hearts to you and your kitteh.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Jodey&Eddie&Blue and FrostD like this.
  29. Wendy&Neko

If 140 is your PMPS number, put it in that column. In the +11 column, you can put "133@+12, plus any subsequent tests". If you put 140@12.5 (or whatever) in the PMPS cell, it tells us how long you delayed.

When you shoot your lowest number yet, it's always a good idea to get early tests, like a +1 and a +2, to see how the cycle is shaping up. It allows you to intervene early with carbs, should you need to do so.

30. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Thank you, Jeff!! It is such a journey.

31. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Phew, I think I got it in the SS. Plus I've got a +1 and will continue.

32. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Yes it is - such a huge journey. I hope your kitteh comes down in dosage soon. That will make it easier. Eddie has the best champion in the world - You!

33. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Thank you! It might surprise you to know that Eddie's brother, Blue, also has acromegaly. I took him to WSU in 2018 for hypophysectomy and back again for fractionated radiotherapy. Then, last year, he had another small regrowth so we drove again, not to Washington, but to Calgary, Alberta, where he had SRT. He is now in remission and that makes things a little easier. So, yes, two kittehs!! Now, if Eddie can just follow suit, we can breathe easier for awhile. Blue's photo isn't here (haven't had to get him on this forum) but he looks a lot like your Leo...who I can see was very loved...

JeffJ likes this.
  34. Wendy&Neko

Looks like a nice flat blue night so far. :cool: You might want to update your subject line. Take out the AM data and put in the PM. That way if anything looks concerning, those scanning the headings on the forum can see help might be needed.

35. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Post Blue's photo here. I would love to see him. I will show Theresa too.
    That is a great drive. You are an amazing Acro-parent. I am from northwest originally (now in Austin), so I know where WSU is. That is a long drive. Within a couple years of me driving Leo to Ft. Collins (14-16 hours each way), an SRT got setup her in Austin. Just our luck Wendy helped me with info on Ft. Collins. It gave Leo almost 3 years more life. I miss him every day.

You are doing great. Two Acro-kittehs. I know exactly how hard it is. You are a hero to us and an angel to them. :bighug::bighug:
    Such a cruddy disease. But we are fortunate
    - home testing and strips available
    - SRT and hypophysectomy available
    - insulin well developed to a good formula

36. Summer and Susie (GA)

Good job with your boy yesterday, Jodey. Lots of nice blues. Bless you for taking care of a cat with additional medical problems. Praying for a safe and easy journey for you and Eddie. :bighug:

37. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Thank you! I missed the PM +6 (fell asleep) but managed to get up for the +7, which showed a rising tendency so I just crashed! I'll post later today @ +4 to see if he's on the same trajectory as yesterday.

Thank you, @Wendy&Neko @FrostD @JeffJ for walking me through.

JeffJ and FrostD like this.
  38. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

The "upload a file" function is "broken" so can't post a pic of Blue until the issue is resolved.

39. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

It's been broken for awhile lol you can copy/paste, or I think drag and drop.

Since I can't do either of those from my phone I just put pictures in my SS

40. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

HA! Found the pics in your spreadsheet. A cutie.

For others - if you are on PC, you can copy then paste the pic into the text area. (If you are on a Mac, you should switch to Windows LOL).