10/18 Blizzard AMPS 88 (4.9) Shooting low

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Hilary B, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Hilary B

Hilary B Member

Yesterday I shot a personal low of 6.6 (118.8). My guy did pretty well. This morning he had a AMPS of 4.9 (88). Keeping a close eye on him but hope to keep him high enough that I don't have to use and hc food.
    He currently has a Libre so it's super easy to test every hour. Thanks so much for everyone'e encouragement and support! It's made me more confident.

Just a question...is it common for newly diagnosed cats, on such a low dose, to continually see low preshot numbers? Hoping we may be going in the direction of remission but don't want to jynx it!

tiffmaxee likes this.
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Your assessment is correct. Big anti jinx. I’d feed a little lc every hour. If the +2 is the same or lower post and ask if slights higher carbs are needed. Do you have a meter? Occasionally we have seen numbers lower than they actually are with the Libre so it’s good to double check.
    I see you didn’t get any food bump at +1. Feed a little.

Hilary B likes this.
  3. Hilary B

Hilary B Member

Thanks! He's eaten 1 and half can of Fancy Feast pate. I'll retest. I have also have a Contour metre. I'll keep testing!

4. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

When someone shoots their first green, they get a pair of these. Congratulations.
    Balls of Steel.jpg

5. Hilary B

Hilary B Member

Not sure what to do. He ate a can and a half of fancy feast pate. At +2 there hasn't been a food bump. He's now at 4.1 (73.8). I checked him with the Contour metre and he was pretty much the same. Should I just wait a bit?

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  6. Hilary B

Hilary B Member

He grazes throughout the day and his food is there. He's not super hungry at the moment. I have some temptations treats that he would go gaga for that I could give him a couple. I'll wait for some guidance.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  7. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

He is seeing a wonderful flattish Lantus cycle! :)

What did you feed him? We usually save high carb for drops below 50 (2.8). You want to avoid feeding HC dry or Temptations. Do you have have medium carb and high carb wet food?

8. Hilary B

Hilary B Member

I fed him a can and a half of fancy feast this morning. The rest is in his dish. I have some HC wet food. Should I give him some?

9. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

No to hc. He’s at a really good place right now. Give a couple teaspoons of lc.

10. Bandit's Mom

No HC yet. Will he eat some of his usual Fancy Feast?

Going forward, you want to break up his meals. Don't feed too much with the shot. 1.5 cans is a lot. You could feed him a can or less and feed him some more at +2 and +4 etc. Keep him surfing the good numbers.

11. Hilary B

Hilary B Member

Ok good to know. He’s at 3.6 (65) right now. Just gave him a couple freeze dried liver treats. He’s not interested in the fancy feast at the moment

12. Bandit's Mom

Do you have any higher carb Fancy Feast variants? Useful to have when dealing with low numbers.

Medium Carb is 10-15% - FF Gravy Lovers, FF Grilled in Gravy, FF Medleys Florentine
    High Carb is over 20% - FF Gravy Lovers - Gourmet Beef Feast in Gravy, FF Medleys Tuscany

https://catinfo.org/chart/index.php

13. Hilary B

Hilary B Member

He’s staying steady at 3.8 (68)
    He ate a little bit of food. His curve shows a pretty straight line.

14. Bandit's Mom

That's how it is with Lantus. Beautiful cycle today.

Quite a drop at +1 tonight. Are you breaking up his food into smaller meals? Don't fill him up with the shot. It's good for him to eat a little every hour or two in the first part of the cycle.

15. Hilary B

Hilary B Member

Thanks! I only have half his meal. Going to give him the other half when I go to bed at +4 (unless he starts dropping soon)

16. Bandit's Mom

I would feed a little at +2 and then some more at +4.