10/12 AMPS: 230 PMPS: 120, give insulin?

J4CKS

Member Since 2026
Hi All,

Long time no see - quick question. Caesar was given his usual dosage of 2.5u this AM ~ 230. This evening, he was 6.7 mmol (~120) on the Contour before feeding. Deciding to hold off on PM insulin and re-test in an hour or so and give if it rises to ~200.

Just wondering if someone can like a thread or give some quick info on how to move forward seeing these low numbers. For example, seeing low numbers tomorrow AM as well? (although unlikely)
 
Maybe read this sticky
Sticky - Tight Regulation: Becoming Data Ready to Shoot / Handle Lower Pre-shot Numbers

Since you're doing TR 120 is a safe number to give insulin. Most people who do TR wouldn't shoot if they see below 50 (on a human meter). If you don't feel comfortable giving a full shot you can always elect to do half a shot or skip completely. But remember that when you skip once the depot drains he might show you higher numbers.

If you ever see a lower number you're not comfortable with you should stall. Do not feed and re-test in about 15-30 min to see which way he's going.
Also keep in mind you don't want to really give a shot any later than an hr after the sched shot time.
Hope this helps.
 
With a history of DKA, not giving insulin is not an option. If you are following TR, you can shoot any number over 50 (2.8) with a human meter. I don't see any data in your SS between 5/25 and today? How long has he been at 2.5U?

Can you monitor if you shoot? Could you please get another test and see where he's eat?

When stalling with a lower preshot, you want to get another test in 20 mins. You don't need to wait an hour. The downside with stalling is that numbers can continue to fall without food (especially if it's a bounce clearing cycle which can see nadirs as late as +13), making the decision to shoot even more difficult!
 
With a history of DKA, not giving insulin is not an option. If you are following TR, you can shoot any number over 50 (2.8) with a human meter. I don't see any data in your SS between 5/25 and today? How long has he been at 2.5U?

Can you monitor if you shoot? Could you please get another test and see where he's eat?

When stalling with a lower preshot, you want to get another test in 20 mins. You don't need to wait an hour. The downside with stalling is that numbers can continue to fall without food (especially if it's a bounce clearing cycle which can see nadirs as late as +13), making the decision to shoot even more difficult!
Thanks for all the info - that's good to know. Sorry missed your message! Had troubles getting a good test with our 30g lancet so by the time we got a good test it was nearing +4 with the AM shot coming up so we decided to skip the PM shot altogether. I'll be posting today's update shortly but all seems good with Caesar!
 
Back
Top