? 10/1 Tyson PMPS 521 possible pancreatitis + dosing advice needed

SweetTooth

Member Since 2026
Tyson (Logan Rice) 's Sugar Sheet

Meet Tyson! The rescue I work with tagged him from euthanasia in July he's been doing pretty good but his foster hasn't been testing as much as we would like (he's doing his best) so it has been hard to tell how regulated he is/was and if his dose is too high or too low or if his bad teeth are significantly impacting his bg.

He's going to urgent care tomorrow as we suspect his recent high numbers are due to pancreatitis as his stomach was very tender yesterday and his water intake has slightly decreased today (he has no other symptoms: no vomiting, no loose stool, no change in apatite). I'm very nervous we will end up with a vet that knows nothing about feline diabetes and well you can imagine how that might go over especially if they think they know what they are talking about.

Anyway, would some one mind taking a peek at his spreadsheet? Any thoughts on if pre the September 27th if there is any indication that his dose is to high? Before the tenderness was noted I assumed the crazy high numbers was just bouncing. Also on only 1u he dropped to 225 at AMPS and that ofc makes me curious how low he dropped earlier in that cycle.

ps. I've been caring for diabetic cats for 6 years and I dont normally have issues regulating them on my own though I am usually the primary caretaker and can test as much as I see fit. I'm considering having a libre or gcm installed while we are at urgent care or requesting he stay with me for a curve.
 
Last edited:
Tyson (Logan Rice) 's Sugar Sheet

Meet Tyson! The rescue I work with tagged him from euthanasia in July he's been doing pretty good but his foster hasn't been testing as much as we would like (he's doing his best) so it has been hard to tell how regulated he is/was and if his dose is too high or too low or if his bad teeth are significantly impacting his bg.

He's going to urgent care tomorrow as we suspect his recent high numbers are due to pancreatitis as his stomach was very tender yesterday and his water intake has slightly decreased today (he has no other symptoms: no vomiting, no loose stool, no change in apatite). I'm very nervous we will end up with a vet that knows nothing about feline diabetes and well you can imagine how that might go over especially if they think they know what they are talking about.

Anyway, would some one mind taking a peek at his spreadsheet? Any thoughts on if pre the September 27th if there is any indication that his dose is to high? Before the tenderness was noted I assumed the crazy high numbers was just bouncing. Also on only 1u he dropped to 225 at AMPS and that ofc makes me curious how low he dropped earlier in that cycle.

ps. I've been caring for diabetic cats for 6 years and I dont normally have issues regulating them on my own though I am usually the primary caretaker and can test as much as I see fit. I'm considering having a libre or gcm installed while we are at urgent care or requesting he stay with me for a curve.
Hi welcome!

You may want to use the dropdown menu by the title and note “?” and put “dosing advice” or “need eyes please” in the title itself so that someone experienced can prioritize this thread for a response.

I noticed on the SS that he has a history of DKA. Have you been able to test for ketones? And can you tell us what food he’s currently eating? Just pre-empting the questions that I know will get asked :)

While I don’t give dosing advice, dosing is based on how low the dose takes a cat during the cycle. I know the testing frequency has been out of your hands and not what you would have done yourself - so it’s really hard to say if this dose is appropriate just based on preshots and just a very small number of mid cycle tests. And this isn’t meant as a criticism of your foster - I know there are very very few fosters who would even take a diabetic kitty.

I would guess though that he needs more insulin (and more testing). Every number on this SS is really high and he may need more aggressive dosing especially with a history of DKA.

I hope someone experienced will be here to respond soon!
 
Hello and welcome! Thank you for what you are doing to help Tyson!
He definitely looks like he needs more insulin because his numbers are all very high, especially with ketones and DKA in the picture.

It’s good that his caregiver is able to manual test with ear pricks.
Well, I don’t give dosing advice either, I’m hoping you will get some advice here soon!

If you are going to be using Libre, I’m not sure if you’ve used one before, I’ll link a document that we’ve prepared for new users that is very helpful.
Getting Started With Continuous Glucose Monitors (CGMs) for Diabetic Cats

As far as the pancreatitis, do you have all the meds on hand needed in case he has nausea, vomiting, or loose stools?
We recommend having a Cerenia, ondansetron, if needed buprenorphine (for pain), S Boulardii.
Feeding Syringes in case you need to feed in case he doesn’t want to eat.
We also have information on pancreatitis I can link for you in a few minutes.

Are you able to please provide a signature here with information on his food that he eats and more? That way we don’t have to keep asking.

Wishing you lots of good luck with the vet and hoping he is feeling much better soon! 🥰
 

Hi welcome!

You may want to use the dropdown menu by the title and note “?” and put “dosing advice” or “need eyes please” in the title itself so that someone experienced can prioritize this thread for a response.

I noticed on the SS that he has a history of DKA. Have you been able to test for ketones? And can you tell us what food he’s currently eating? Just pre-empting the questions that I know will get asked :)

While I don’t give dosing advice, dosing is based on how low the dose takes a cat during the cycle. I know the testing frequency has been out of your hands and not what you would have done yourself - so it’s really hard to say if this dose is appropriate just based on preshots and just a very small number of mid cycle tests. And this isn’t meant as a criticism of your foster - I know there are very very few fosters who would even take a diabetic kitty.

I would guess though that he needs more insulin (and more testing). Every number on this SS is really high and he may need more aggressive dosing especially with a history of DKA.

I hope someone experienced will be here to respond soon!
is the title editable? lol forgot to add the "need eyes part" when i posted the 2nd time ugh at least his sugar is coming down
 
Last edited:
is the title editable? lol forgot to add the need eyes part ugh at least his sugar is coming down
Yes you can edit the title,
See photo below, click Edit Thread
IMG_6556.jpeg
 
Back
Top