1/5/21 - Squeaky! AMPS = 108 +2.5 = 64

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jan D & Squeaky, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Jan D & Squeaky

Jan D & Squeaky Well-Known Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...-342-6-127-10-108-pmps-148.240994/#navigation

Why don’t you want to play Monopoly with a cat? They tend to be cheetahs.

EDITED....

FIRST QUESTION: Please help me with my thinking here. As far as I understand it is getting into the greens that the cat's body is able to heal itself.

So it seems to me the testing is often unnecessary, once the numbers are low, except to watch for limeys. Because, it's more important for the cat to be in the greens, than it is for the catmom to know about it.

As I understand, there are two ways to get reductions: 1) limeys 2) being at 100 mg or less for a week.

We might miss some of the limeys by not making my cat a neurotic wreck and testing obsessively. So as I see it we mostly need to watch for lots of below 100s.

What am I not seeing or understanding? Thanks much.

SECOND QUESTION: Squeaky often plays delightedly when his numbers are a bit higher, and is lethargic in the low 100s. Shouldn't it be the reverse? Thanks much.

THIRD QUESTION: He sure isn't eating a whole lot these days, it's because of the blues someone said. Is this okay? Do I need to be worrying about anything else LOL? Thanks much.

FOURTH QUESTION: Is there a simple list of low carb, high carb canned foods? Without too much analysis and complication? Thanks much.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    Bandit's Mom and carfurby (GA) like this.
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice blues yesterday. I hope Squeaky surfs safely today.

Jan D & Squeaky likes this.
  3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hi Jan. I don’t think I saw your condo yesterday. As always I would start with a +2 and go from there.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  4. Jan D & Squeaky

Thanks Elise, Usually I don't do +2's but I have a lunch appointment so I need to manage this..... be back in 10 minutes.

5. Jan D & Squeaky

bump

Okay I had a can of NZ boar with pumpkin and apple and he's gobbling it. I'll come back after the lunch and test again.

That should keep him for about 1-1/2 hours, right?

Well he didn't eat a whole lot. So I put some chicken topping on it and he ate more. He doesn't eat much these days..... Maybe that's his way of trying to keep his BG down?

Okay now Squeaky is all smug, "Finally I get some good food in this joint. Finally."

6. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

When cats starts getting into normal numbers they don't need as much food because their bodies process food better.

They have to slowly work their way into staying in normal numbers and getting used to normal numbers. Until they are used to being in them most of the time, they won't feel as well.

7. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Was the food LC?

You should think about what we discussed earlier about moving his shot time up so that you can get some tests in if you have to leave the house. Early to bed, early to rise.... ;-)

8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

The problem is, you have to test to spot the "limeys". They aren't always predictable. Another reason for testing to spot greens, is to figure out how to change doses. If you don't spot greens, but they are there, then you might increase when you shouldn't. Similarly, if you miss those "limeys", you might miss when you should be decreasing.

9. Jan D & Squeaky

Oh that is a problem. Because if I increase to more than about 5 bg tests a day, Squeaky starts avoiding me and over 6 or 7 a day, he starts getting neurotic and fearful.

Did I mention he gets a full body massage almost every time he gets a BG test and his favorite chicken treats and/or dinner afterwards?

I think it is in part because in addition to the 4 regular BG tests each day (2 ps and 2 mid-cycle), he gets 2 insulin shots (this is easy), 2 inhalers, 2 pills, and 2 buprenorphine squirts which he hates. It's a lot to require of someone. I make it go as lovely and as smoothly as I can.

10. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Hi Jan! The green numbers you got on January 3rd and today at +3 and +2 show that Squeaky is dropping a lot early in his cycle. I know when that happens with Ruby it's because she is getting too much insulin and wants a reduction. Instead of getting a +5 or +6 test, perhaps you'd consider getting +2 and +3 in the mornings or evenings right now to maybe see if you can catch a steep drop? I know these tests are precious so you might as well do them when you might get more bang for your buck, so to speak! :p

11. Jan D & Squeaky

Great, this is what I am hoping for, ways to know a reduction is needed besides (how do I say it? excessive testing? overabundant testing?) lots of tests. I like getting bang for my buck!

Thank you all for the great input and putting my mind at rest. I'm glad to know his not eating so much is not to be worried about.

12. Jan D & Squeaky

Thanks Carla! I hope Furball surfs safely today too! And Bhooma, yikes I will try. Not easy, I have a neurological condition that makes it challenging. I got him up to 9 am this morning!!!! That was an accomplishment!

13. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Either a +2 and +3 or a +2 and +4 would be helpful. If the +2 is the same or lower than the preshot that's an indication of an active cycle and I'd get a +3. If the +2 is higher, then it might not be so active so I'd get a +4. I overslept this morning so missed her +2 test and feed, so Ruby dropped low but thankfully I caught the lime green. If you have time to look at Henry's spreadsheet, you'll see his caregiver, Robert, rarely ever tests after +5.5 because of his own time constraints and because he's figured out that's pretty much around the time Henry, who seems bent on zooming down the dosing scale, reaches his nadir.

14. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

15. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

Well...”limeys” do help the caregiver/mama to know when to reduce, it is important to also understand that we reduce, because when they get there (to the limeys), the dose is not particularly safe anymore and hypoglycaemia could potentially occur. I’m sure you know the symptoms to look out for, and they can be no good for kitty. We test greens as well, to make sure kitty is safe at the current dose.

I assume the heart to heart with Squeaky didn’t go well regarding testing?

Have you considered the libre? Disclaimer - I have never used it, but understand that some have. @Tomlin has some great posts about it. It doesn’t eliminate the need for a static, in the moment test at times, but could involve you just holding the app near the sensor any time you want with fewer pokies.

Yes, they can fall off and can be an added expense. Yes, the application of the sensor can be not so good if the vet uses too much glue. Not to mention the need to shave a spot where the sensor is applied. But...could give you some peace of mind and then test when you need to. Plus, squeaky could get a super cute onesie. Just a thought.

Hope all is well!!! :bighug:

Jan D & Squeaky and Bandit's Mom like this.
  16. Jan D & Squeaky

17. Jan D & Squeaky

Hi Katherine, Thanks for this post, I'm a little slow to reply. Okay so I will consider doing some +2 and +3 tests. I looked at Henry's spreadsheet. OMG the detail! I could never be that detailed. Anyway looks like he's going GREAT and has a good system worked out. I like that being able to figure out the cat and adjust accordingly.

Thanks again!!!!!

18. Jan D & Squeaky

Thanks for your message, I was overwhelmed but now I'm back.

I am glad we switched to GSGL. I think that I will be less worried about him. And there is a lot of room for decreases given that he keeps going green.

Well I had several conversations with him (actually a running conversation) and he gets it, but he just hates the testing. Before the diabetes happened, you see, I had clicker trained him and I have pretty much been able to have his willingness to do everything we had to do. Like the inhaler, he used to come running when it was time to administer it. But I have to keep forcing unpleasant things on him now and it has really changed the dynamic. He's doing okay with it, but he really doesn't like it. I have to chase him, and he eventually let's me catch him. But it's not as much fun as when he came running to me!!!!

I think I'll just try to keep the ear pricks to a minimum. He might try to pull off the libre.

Thanks a bunch :bighug: and I hope all is well with you, too!!!!! :bighug:

19. Jan D & Squeaky

Hmmm, Katherine. Greens early in the cycle indicate getting too much insulin and need a reduction. I printed that out to help me remember that. Catching a steep drop. Interesting. WOW you know so much.

Since we changed to GSGL two days ago, we've already had two decreases. I guess I am going to be doing a curve next Sunday so that will likely tell us a lot.

Hmmm, this was very helpful information. Thanks so much for being our coach!!!! :bighug::bighug::bighug: