1/17 Blue AMPS 233 / +2 54 +2.5 46

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Patty and Blue GA & Brat, Jan 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Patty and Blue GA & Brat Well-Known Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/1-16-blue-276-ambg.241589/

Morning,
    I decided I needed to start a new thread. I got some much needed sleep. Thanks Mogs
    and Bron.

Blue is 233 AMPS and got .25 insulin and it felt like a lot after giving him drops. He doing
    really good but no poop that I know of. He could have gone to another box but I have
    that little round travel litter box in his "hospital room" and he's been using it. He tried
    jumping onto the counter this morning but didn't make it. At least he tried and came
    close. His abdomen is down this morning and it's made me very happy. He pigged out
    on his food as well. Brat and he went back and forth to each others bowls. Whatever
    works right? It was the same food. LOL

I'm encouraged by the signs so far and Elise you were right, prednisone is working
    wonders.

Critter Mom likes this.
  2. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

I've been watching Blue and he's trying to poo but only got a small round poop ball out.
    I dosed him again with the med for constipation. I hope it will help him.

3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Patty,

Good to read an encouraging update from you. :bighug:

Is it the metoclopramide you're giving, Patty?

Would you consider adding a little canned pure pumkin to his food, Patty? (You might need to feed him seperately so that Brat doesn't get any. I don't know whether or not it might affect her digestive system.)

Mogs

4. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Yikes, he's down to 54. I fed him about a tablespoon of 20%. :banghead:

5. Critter Mom

Yikes! :eek:

Good catch.

Mogs

6. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Yes, metoclopramide. I can add pumpkin yes. He keeps trying to go.

7. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

I'm getting ready to test him again to make sure he hasn't fallen further.

Critter Mom likes this.
  8. Critter Mom

Poor fella. :( ((((Blue))))

For convenience, I'm again posting the link to felineconstipation.org. Anything you can do prevention-wise is typically better. :)

Mogs

9. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

He's down to 46 so I gave him additional 20% with a drop of karo syrup. I think the .25 was too much.

I have baby food Winter Squash and Sweet Potatoes. Don't ask me why I bought these
    and not pumpkin but I'm thinking these will do the same thing. What do you think?

10. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Oh yeah, he pooped a little more.

11. Critter Mom

Looks that way. :banghead: In fairness, Blue's AMPS wasn't too bad (cf. PMBG yestereve).

Honestly, I've no idea, Patty. By default, I'd be wary of the sweet potato. Do you have any psyllium husk or Miralax?

Mogs

12. Critter Mom

Go, Blue! Seriously. Go! ((((Blue))))

;)

I'm glad he managed to get something moving. Fingers and paws crossed, now that he's eating better and with some preventative(s) he'll get back to being more regular.

Mogs

13. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

The Miralax is too much for him according to my vet. I suggested it but she said no. The Karo syrup might help. I'm going to test him again to make sure he's ok.

Critter Mom likes this.
  14. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

He's up to 58 now. I gave him a little more of the 20% food.

Critter Mom likes this.
  15. Critter Mom

That thought did cross my mind. As always, if you get any suggestions here then always run them by your vets. :)

How far along are you in the cycle, Patty?

Mogs

16. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

17. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Whoa!! Nice catch, Patty:eek:! This morning was his first insulin dose and he already earns a reduction with that drop below 50? I wonder what Elise will say about that.
    So so happy to hear the prednisolone is working well for Blue.
    I've only ever given Butters pumpkin for her pooping issues. Canned is very easy to come by where I am. Can you pick some up nearby?

18. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Thank you. I am surprised to see him doing so well. He's still in his hospital room but he did come to the kitchen to eat this morning.
    It's the little things. :)

Yes, I can get some pumpkin. I'll do that. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I bought those. I actually was supposed to get pumpkin. :rolleyes:

Butters & Lyla and Critter Mom like this.
  19. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Nice catch. The high last night might have been due to a combo of the sugar in pedialyte and not pooping. How’s his appetite? Does he seem to feel better after pooping? :bighug:

20. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

He's back down to 46 so I'm feeding the same 20% with another drop of Karo. He's eating great. He hasn't pooped a lot
    but he seems better. He keeps trying to go.

Critter Mom likes this.
  21. tiffmaxee

I gave Max canned pumpkin. Mixed it in his food. You need 100% pure pumpkin, not the pie filling.

22. tiffmaxee

If he keeps struggling you might need to call the ER for advice. I’m hoping he will go more as he eats and drinks.

23. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

I hope so too. He keeps trying. He's drinking water so that might help.

He's only up to 50 +4.5 and I'm on to 22% with Karo

24. tiffmaxee

At least he’s at 50. :bighug: Up Blue.

25. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

YAY he's up to 62 now. I'll recheck at afternoon meal in 1 1/2 hours. Too long?

Critter Mom likes this.
  26. tiffmaxee

I’d feel better checking in an hour.

27. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

49 +6 you were right to have me check earlier

28. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

I'm feeding 25% with drop of Karo

Critter Mom likes this.
  29. tiffmaxee

Check in 20.

Critter Mom likes this.
  30. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Great catch. This is the roller coaster with pred in the mix. My suggestion last night was because I understood you to say he hadn’t had Pedialyte in a while (since 1/15 p.m.) so it would not be influencing his BG.

I’d definitely drop back to 0.1u tonight. He might get back on a high/low pattern with the pred in the mix. You can see how this happened to Gracie.

31. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

He's still down. 48 so feeding more 25% w/Karo. I can't believe he's still eating!!!

32. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Yes, that's correct. Friday was his bad night. I'll drop down tonight as long as his numbers go back up.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  33. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Blue is up to 60 +7.5

34. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Back down to 55 so I'm feeding the 25% with Karo. I don't think I can do this tonight. :arghh:

35. Marje and Gracie

Then skip. It’s not often that cats respond so quickly to the first shot of Lantus but it happens. So just skip and see where he is tomorrow. Don’t fret about that part of it. At this point because he’s not coming up and staying, you don’t need to be worrying about tonight.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  36. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

I know right...I’m shocked he's been so low all day. He's eaten so much food. I worry because he's constipated. I'll keep checking to see how long he stays low. It's pretty crazy.
    I can try again tomorrow but with .1 dosage.

37. tiffmaxee

I know it’s the last thing you want to hear and I hope it’s not necessary but he might need an enema if he doesn’t go soon. You d ask the get tomorrow if he’s still constipated.

Critter Mom likes this.
  38. Critter Mom

39. Critter Mom

Agree about the vet visit/enema suggestion.

Mogs

40. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

I have to take Brat in the morning so will talk to vet hopefully.

Critter Mom and tiffmaxee like this.
  41. Marje and Gracie

Wait and see where he is tonight and tomorrow morning. I would also suggest you track his pred dose....when you give it and how much....on his SS and see if there is a pattern.

Cats react differently. It just made Gracie high until I started weaning her off of it. It might not work that way for Blue.

You can even elect to skip a couple shots and see what the BG does so you can then figure out when the best time to give insulin.....or not.

Wendy reminded me of a member who gave pred for an extended period of time. She started out giving it at night and then changed it to the day so the BG might be a bit higher and she felt comfortable working. Lucy’s SS.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  42. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

I might skip tomorrow and gauge it better. He's been eating so many different foods and liquids and on various meds just to help him survive, now I'll get back to LC and water. Maybe his BG will go back to his normal....or if not, we can start from there with a new dose. I know the prednisone will probably make a difference with dosing too.
    Thanks for your suggestions.

Marje and Gracie and Critter Mom like this.
  43. Critter Mom

How has Blue been doing activity-wise today, Patty?

Mogs

44. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

He is staying in his “hospital room” as I now call my eat-in area of the kitchen. He left when I used the stick vac area in his space but went right back. I'm hoping he'll get back to normal eventually.

45. Critter Mom

I hope so too, Patty. ((((Blue))))

:bighug:

Mogs

46. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

He's at 72 PMBG and ate LC. I'm happy he's in safer numbers. It's been a long day.

47. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Blue’s hospital room. :cat: Weird, right? No cats has ever stayed in this space. He was up on the table under the windows. I pulled a chair over so I could sit with him. He claimed it as his hospital bed. I'll be glad when he gets out.

Attached Files:

48. Butters & Lyla

I hope he gets out of his hospital room, too. But as hospital rooms go, this one sure does have a serene, homey feel to it.
    I'm glad that fighting his numbers seems to be behind you. Hope he is doing well tonight. Praying for poop!

49. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Well, he likes it. I try to bring him out and he runs right back.
    He's has had three poop balls today. It's something but not enough. Who would have thought we'd pray for poop.

50. tiffmaxee

I think there are more poop prayers here than you can imagine! I’m glad the bg has stabilized. You have got to be exhausted from worrying and lack of sleep. :bighug:

51. Butters & Lyla

I quite like his room too. I can see why he'd run into it. Mind you, I've never seen any other room in your home but that one is quite lovely!
    I've prayed for poop for Butters. It's definitely a common occurrence on the board, as Elise said!
    Three poop balls is something. Hopefully there will be more to come.

52. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

I am exhausted. I didn't have time to do much today other than test and feed. We will see what tomorrow brings. I might be late testing depending on how long I'm at the vet with Brat in the morning. Funny thing is that Brat ate like a little piggy all day every time Blue did. She enjoyed that HC food. I wish she didn't have to be hospitalized.

53. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Thank you. Rooms always look better with plants. I like when I bring them inside in the fall but can't wait to get them out in the spring.

I remember Mogs praying for poop for her little Noodle bug. I thought it was weird at the time, but here I am.... I am grateful there were
    3 today!!! :)

Butters & Lyla likes this.
  54. tiffmaxee

Maybe you should run labs again since she’s eating so well. Maybe sub-q fluids will be enough. Brat.

55. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

You know I thought about that. She's eating again and doing pretty well. I'm not sure in the morning if I'll see the vet or not but I'll check with her later to see what she thinks. Brat even looks better. She's probably gained since she was there.

Teddy started his pills for hyper-T and I totally forgot about the reason I took him in. His eye looked infected. I had some antibiotic eye drops
    so started them today. I normally know like to treat myself but I can only do some much. I feel like my car knows the way to the vet on it's
    own.

56. tiffmaxee

Also if your vet feels IV is needed, lots of people bring them in for the day and have them home at night. It depends on how messed up her electrolytes are. If so-q will do you can do it at home with a refresher or watching one of the videos. Sometimes a little knowledge can make a bad decision so That I am just throwing this out for discussion with your vet. IF Brat needs to be hospitalized don’t want to suggest anything that puts Brat in jeopardy.

57. Critter Mom

I was thinking similar, Lyla; less 'hospital room', more Bluebird's rather salubrious Exclusive Convalescence Suite. ((((Blue)))) As long as he gets to be where he feels safe and sound, comfortable and happy, then that'll do very nicely. :cat:

:bighug:

Mogs

Reason for edit: Typo.
  58. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Well, he loves it and won't leave. I even put his little travel litter box under the table for him. When he was so ill with a high temp I didn't want him to go that far to a box. Spoiled little Bluebird. :cat:

Critter Mom likes this.
  59. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

I'll talk with her tomorrow and see what she thinks. She actually told me Brat was not going to make it and maybe not even if she's hospitalized. She said her prognosis is poor. That was sobering. I hope and pray that's not the case. She's never been very healthy. I fostered her and 2 sibs and they were from a cat hoarder. Her sibs both had FIP and it's fatal. Brat is a carrier of the corona virus but it never developed into FIP. She's 13 so has already beat the odds. I hate thinking of her in the hospital by herself. Blue's her boy.

60. Marje and Gracie

If you have to give her subq fluids, this video we made might help. It’s pretty detailed.

I really hope you get some rest tonight.

61. tiffmaxee

They are starting to cure FIP now. The medication is incredibly expensive and had get. Prayers for all of you. :bighug:

62. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

I wish I could remember what it was called and where it came from but I bought injections for treatment of FIP. I think it was from Australia. I had it shipped on dry ice and it was quite expensive. It might be the same medicine they were working on back then only tweaked. It didn't help save Brat's sibs but it was worth a try. That would be wonderful if they have found a cure. It was terrible to watch my poor little babies suffer with that disease. Brat was my survivor so she's a fighter and a strong women. :cat:

63. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Thank you. I definitely need a refresher. It's been many years since I had a CRF cat. :bighug:

64. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Great video and Love Gus. What a beautiful cat. :cat:

65. Marje and Gracie

Thank you. He was a real sweet, sweet boy. He had I131 at 10. Lived to 18.

66. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Patty, you and your troop are in my thoughts.I hope you can get some rest tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.