09/25 Regs AMPS 164 after food 252

Britta and Regs

Member Since 2026
Last post
Regs had a pre of 164 (on the alpha trak) this morning- a number in the 100 was my personal nightmare in the time we are not home. Since our sitter didn’t know about stalling she fed him and I asked her to measure again after he finished.
After the food he was at 252, so he gained almost 90 mg in 25ish minutes.

With the 252 I told her to give him the full dose of Lantus and now I’m worried if that was right or if we should have reduced? I hope it was the right decision!

My feeling is, that he started another bounce with that steep increase and if we would have reduced the Lantus he would even be higher later

It’s so scary to say what to do only from one number😱
 
Last edited:
Definitely wait for someone experienced but if Regs were my cat, I would have made the same decision. If it makes you feel better, shooting lower numbers always produces flatter, way less stressful curves for us. And Regs seems like a pretty carb sensitive boy.

Hope you guys are having a great time out in CA!

This must be Regs’ signal for you guys to come home soon. Moonie started dropping towards the end of our trip too.
 
Definitely wait for someone experienced but if Regs were my cat, I would have made the same decision. If it makes you feel better, shooting lower numbers always produces flatter, way less stressful curves for us. And Regs seems like a pretty carb sensitive boy.

Hope you guys are having a great time out in CA!

This must be Regs’ signal for you guys to come home soon. Moonie started dropping towards the end of our trip too.
I’m so ready to get back home, and can’t wait.

My guess is that he was lower at night and was already in the bounce when our sitter measured. Together with the food and bounce that would explain very good why he went up so much so fast.

But then comes the question how low was he? Like dangerous low or just a little lower? Maybe he could have gone into hypo before his liver reacted😱

I just don’t get why he always drops so much late at night. One more night to go before I can monitor him again
 
Getting +1 tests periodically will tell you now much of a numbers bump he gets from his food. From the 8/26 AM+1, it looks like a 40ish point bump. The other +1's you have are mostly the start of bounces. When you are back, a few more of those +1 with "regular" cycles would be good data. However, even the 1 data point of a 40 point bump, seems reasonable. So the 90 in 25 minutes definitely looks like the start of a bounce. Meaning, good call on the shot.

We reduce when we see a number under 90, not when we think it maybe could have been one. It's also possible he nadired at +12 (AMPS) or even a couple hours earlier and was completely safe. See PM 9/6 cycle as an example of a late nadir when breaking a bounce. That cycle also started pink. That cycle was on a higher dose than he is now.

I just don’t get why he always drops so much late at night.
He's a cat. That's why we keep nagging people to get a second test in the PM cycle. It is very common for cats to go lower at night.
 
I’m so ready to get back home, and can’t wait.

My guess is that he was lower at night and was already in the bounce when our sitter measured. Together with the food and bounce that would explain very good why he went up so much so fast.

But then comes the question how low was he? Like dangerous low or just a little lower? Maybe he could have gone into hypo before his liver reacted😱

I just don’t get why he always drops so much late at night. One more night to go before I can monitor him again
I totally get it. I was running into the apartment and I felt so much relief the moment that I went in and saw the kitties, especially Moonie.

Safe travels back! 🥰
 
Getting +1 tests periodically will tell you now much of a numbers bump he gets from his food. From the 8/26 AM+1, it looks like a 40ish point bump. The other +1's you have are mostly the start of bounces. When you are back, a few more of those +1 with "regular" cycles would be good data. However, even the 1 data point of a 40 point bump, seems reasonable. So the 90 in 25 minutes definitely looks like the start of a bounce. Meaning, good call on the shot.

We reduce when we see a number under 90, not when we think it maybe could have been one. It's also possible he nadired at +12 (AMPS) or even a couple hours earlier and was completely safe. See PM 9/6 cycle as an example of a late nadir when breaking a bounce. That cycle also started pink. That cycle was on a higher dose than he is now.


He's a cat. That's why we keep nagging people to get a second test in the PM cycle. It is very common for cats to go lower at night.
Thanks so much for looking so detailed into our numbers. I never noticed that most of my +1 data were the start of a bounce. But 9g more in so little time just felt wrong.
I had my vet’s voice on the head that said no insulin under 250 but I know he would be miserable right now.

I definitely will continue doing some more when we are back. Especially the PM cycles scare me, because his glucose sometimes dropps like a stone, that’s why I always get up at night and measure at least once or twice. But of course I can’t ask the sitter to come back in the middle of the night.

For next time I’m leaving I want to find someone that can maybe stay at out place while we are gone. Out sitter now is awesome and knows what she is doing but she has her own cats to take care of.

When the sitter wrote he was at 164 I just knew he would bounce and with the second measurement I just wanted to make sure he would not drop even more. She is measuring on the alpha trak so I assume that the number on the ReliOn would have been even lower!

We have one more night to go until I’m back home, do you think a second snack maybe around midnight could help avoiding a steep drop? And even if he was not condfirmed under 90 should I stay with that dose? He was running higher on 2 units, could that avoid the big drop when a bounce breaks?
I need him just one more night not to go too low, Sunday morning 1am I will be back and hopefully give him a big hug 🥰
 
It's harder to make dosing suggestion without data in the spreadsheet. But I think he should be OK until you get back. He does tend to bounce for several cycles, by which time you'll be home.
 
It's harder to make dosing suggestion without data in the spreadsheet. But I think he should be OK until you get back. He does tend to bounce for several cycles, by which time you'll be home.
Thanks so much Wendy. He was at 368 tonight so I stayed with the 2.25 but have an additional night snack. Our sitter also put some treats in the Furbo, that I can toss if necessary, so I have a couple safety measurements.

He just needs to make it through this night, if his bounce breaks tomorrow night I will be home for that
 
Back
Top