04/12 Brian PM +2 49, 68, amps 104

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Nate2021, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Nate2021

Nate2021 Member

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

It’s the 4th cycle after the last reduction so the depot should have been pretty well used up by then.
    I would reduce the dose down to 3 units. If he gets a failed reduction you can always go back up in dose
    Congrats.

3. Nate2021

Nate2021 Member

Awesome thanks for that info very helpful. Cheers!

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  4. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Just here to drop off food for thought - of course you can take the reduction (go Brian!) and you can always go back up if needed (or he may very well hold the reduction!) - but I had saved this comment from one of the moderators on someone else's thread and may be worth the read as Brian came right up with some lowish MC food (11%, right?) - https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...-3-53-3-5-53-4-60-4-5-67.239986/#post-2699515

Whatever you decide is the right choice :)

Nate2021 likes this.
  5. Nate2021

Nate2021 Member

thanks! I ended up giving 3/4 of ff tin of 11% carb all up, he was up to 70 then down to 60 again at +8 I end up giving more at +8 which put him in blues for this amps. Buuuut what I've decided to do is just monitor closely and do the shaving dose for a few cycles. Not sure if I gave a skinny 3.25 or fat 3 this morning, but definitely a bit less than what he'd had prior...hoping this might make things smoother. Thanks for that link very helpful!
    I felt like the 11% carb wasn't really doing much to bringing him up only 20ish from the first two tablespoons over two hours? Or is that about right?

Cheers :)

JaxBenji likes this.
  6. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Looked like a beautiful surf to me! FWIW, I would do the same thing next time - and if he doesn't respond to the 11% in the same way then give him a higher carb food (and feed small amounts to try to keep him willing to eat). Also, the 68 at +4 last night and the 63 at +8 last night are basically the same number - we would call it "flat".

His AMPS also looks nice for a whole night surfing the greens - maybe a little higher from the MC but could also just have been the end of the cycle and the insulin dose wears off.

Do what makes you comfortable - and then just hear me out :joyful: From what I've learned, usually newly diagnosed cats (like Brian) do better with increases and decreases of 0.25u. Shaving doses is really used to fine tune a dose once you get close to a good one and also I've seen it used for cats that fail reductions consistently. Again, do what you feel comfortable - I really try to leave the dosing stuff to others with more experience than me. Perhaps @Bandit's Mom can stop by if she's around later.

Hope you all have a good day!

Nate2021 and Bandit's Mom like this.
  7. Nate2021

Nate2021 Member

Sorry I didn't see this! I still got a bit nervous at the time thinking well there's not much room to drop, but looking at it back I'm like ohhh it's flat as you said! Thank you! Wish I'd read this sooner as shaving was a bit non consequential/skewed for him. Thank you for this info!

JaxBenji likes this.