? 03/09 Cabergoline Question: Appetite

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Jodey&Eddie&Blue, Mar 9, 2024.

1. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Jodey&Eddie&Blue Well-Known Member

Good morning,

I'm seeking info on Cabergoline dose/frequency/decrease in appetite.

Eddie originally started Cabergoline, 1.1ml EOD on Nov. 17th (he weighs about 10kg/20#) and seemed to have varying, sometimes very good, results. On February 27th because those results seemed to be waning, the vet suggested we try every 24hours (same dose) for a month or so, which is what we are doing.

You can see from Eddie's spreadsheet we have a long history with acromegaly, etc. Currently, after all we've been through, Eddie is on 19u BiD Levemir.

My concern is that his appetite seems off. Previously quite food-focussed, Eddie now needs prompting usually with Charu treat packs mixed with his food. I've heard inappetence might be Cabergoline-related and I'm wondering if anyone has an experience with Cab and this situation. I will add that he was also on Clavaseptin for the last week as a trial pulse antibiotic prior to dental treatment (if he's a candidate; have to get cardiology involved).

Any thoughts, suggestions, reflections appreciated. :cat:

2. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

Howie has been on Cabergoline for a couple years and I wouldn't say that it has caused appetite issues. He's been on it every day since he started. What flavor do you get? It is apparently quite bitter. Maybe switching up the flavor could help?

Jodey&Eddie&Blue likes this.
  3. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

He's not averse to Cabergoline. I give it to him with the Churu lickable. No problem. I did read about diminished appetite and it was mentioned by the vet from WSU as a possible side-effect after going to every 24hr rather than EOD. But he's also been on antibiotics so I'll have to wait a day or so once he clears from that.

I notice Howie was a very high dose acro kitty and now he's in a really good zone. I've been hoping this could happen with Eddie but he's already been through hypophysectomy and SRT and we're down to Cabergoline.

4. Heather82372

Heather82372 Member

Where are you all getting the Cabergoline? I see Chewy does not offer it in their pharmacy.

5. Heather82372

Heather82372 Member

Holy smokes! Am I reading your SS correctly?? In 2021 were you giving 40 some units of insulin??

6. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

I'm in Canada and get Cabergoline compounded at pharmacy with vet's prescription.

Heather82372 likes this.
  7. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Heck yeah! My spreadsheet shows in 2021 how much insulin I was giving. Well over 40 units until I could no longer afford it -- so I had to use R insulin (which is used only in special circumstances) to supplement the Lantus.

8. Suzanne & Darcy

Anyway, I would NOT recommend Chewy anyway for compounded medications. They're fine for manufactured medications, but Cabergoline is compounded. One of our members had a very bad experience with compounded thyroid meds for her cat -- it was compounded by Chewy. I do buy regular stuff from them like Cerenia, my cat's heart meds, lactated ringers solution for sub-q fluids and stuff like that, but nothing compounded. For that you need to go to a reliable compounding pharmacy. I bought my Cabergoline from Wedgewood Pharmacy in New Jersey. That's who our vet uses for a lot of compounded medication. They also use Road Runner Pharmacy for certain compounded meds as well.

Heather82372 likes this.
  9. Heather82372

Heather82372 Member

Wow! That's crazy! I can't even imagine having to give that much insulin!

10. Suzanne & Darcy

Thank God Shooter doesn’t need that much.

Heather82372 likes this.
  11. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

What is the concentration? Just giving volume tells nothing about the dose sunce ut can be compounded in different concentrations. The standard dose is 10 mcg/kg body weight. My Snuffles has been getting that dose once a day for over 3 years.

12. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

He was up to 57 units at one point. Now he's at 2.5 units! I get his cabergoline from Wedgewood and just switched him to bacon marshmallow flavor.

Heather82372 likes this.